Is it okay to be proud about your progress when you haven't hit goal yet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I remember when my brother (who is obese) lost 9kgs, my parents were excited and told me about it. I said, 'I hope you gave him lots of encouragement!' they said, 'aw... nah, we'll wait til he loses more first'. And he didn't. Obviously, it's up to him to lose the weight, regardless of what anyone says or doesn't say. But it made me so sad that they could be so stingy with the support!

Fast forward to recently: I told my dad I lost 4kgs so far. I started this as overweight. Now, I'm in the healthy weight range. It was obvious to all and sundry I'd gained too much weight. My dad's response: 'hmmm...' not even a, 'good on you,' nothing. Which was a bit of a kick in the guts, because I know my parents would be happy if I lost weight. But, I knew they had this weird thing about waiting until people have lost more. I do think it was rude and not a very nice way to treat people, but I'm still ultra proud of what I've accomplished so far, and no one can take that from me. And I just remind myself that I'm not doing this so that people will say certain things, or whatever. That is out of my control. But I know I'm working hard, and yes, I'm proud of my results! I was proud on day one of starting this, I'm proud now, and I'll be extremely proud when I hit goal! Mostly though, I'm just grinding quietly, not talking about it too much, and enjoying the success for my own sake, and that works really well for me. Quite often, the people around us will let us down with their reactions, anyway.

That said, my partner is always encouraging and tells me when he can notice more weightloss. My son also really likes to see the scale go down, and really cheers me on. Which is nice. But, for the most part, I choose to be my biggest cheerleader.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Every step towards an end goal is a crushed goal. Every pound lost is a completed goal. Be proud as hell!!!

This is also why I set myself, and recommend to others, to set multiple goals. Both weight and activity related. If last month you couldn't do a single sit-up and this month you can do 3, that's progress and worth cheering about. Even if the scale isn't budging, being better than you were yesterday is awesome.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of the work you are doing and how far you have come.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ❤️❤️❤️💗 thank you for all of the encouragement. ☺️ I felt happy today and I made up a comparison photo from each month. It was nice to see how I’ve changed. It’s not dramatic enough to share I don’t think, but I’m still pleased. Also the style change is nice haha 😛 thank you ❤️❤️
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hell yes, celebrate every pound you lose! 35 lbs is AWESOME! Who cares if you're still overweight? You have every right to celebrate, because you are 35 lbs less overweight than you used to be! Keep on keeping on, you're doing great!