Stiffness in morning

Options
Anyone else wake up stiff? My mattress is new and I've been trying to wake early to workout but I'm.so stiff in am, even if I've done nothing day before.

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I am a bit stiff, especially if I've been cold in the night. I usually find I feel better after a workout (nothing manic, maybe 20-25 mins aerobics or HIIT) than if I don't do anything. If I just have breakfast and go to work I feel stiff and sluggish all day. And I have to work out more when I get home! So its worth doing something, then whatever else happens with your day you have ticked one exercise box!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wake up with stiff limbs and back, but that's what happens when you're 47.
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Those days I use a massage roller to roll away the stiffness before heading out to the gym. Even then I do a nice slow warm up to get the muscles nice and loose.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I wake up stiff lately and I don't know why. I'm 37 and I work out at a moderate level.
    For me it passes in about quater of an hour but still it is very noticeable when I get ot of bed. Getting old perhaps?
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I wake up stiff and I know why. I'm 63, I have fibromyalgia, and I have to sleep like a pretzel because our dogs sleep with us. I always used to work out in the morning, but I've had to switch to an afternoon workout. And then after that, I tend to stiffen up, even though I stretch.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    As a bloke, I've been told stiffness is normal...

You are naughty!!!! But I bet the women in your life love it!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    You say you have a new mattress. Could it be that this mattress is not the right one for you? I get very stiff if I sleep on a mattress that is too hard for me, or too saggy where I lay.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I wake up stiff but I have a form of arthritis (I'm 36)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Morning stiffness was my first and most severe sign of what turned out to be hypothyroidism. If yours coincided with the new mattress exactly, then that's more probable as a cause. I mention the thyroid possibility in part for others who've commented about morning stiffness, but not mentioned a new mattress! ;)
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    You say you have a new mattress. Could it be that this mattress is not the right one for you? I get very stiff if I sleep on a mattress that is too hard for me, or too saggy where I lay.

A good mattress can make a HUGE difference in how well you sleep and whether you're stiff in the morning. I'm almost 48, and I am still not waking up stiff in the mornings. But I really ought to be, because I have arthritis/gout in my left knee. I sleep on a hybrid mattress, which we got for my husband's back pain (kyphosis). We had been paying around $1,500 for Serta mattresses, because his doctor had told him when he was 16 that he needed a firm, well-built mattress. But his back was still hurting him a lot, so I did some research, figuring that much could have changed in 30 years. And a hybrid mattress was generally recommended for kyphosis. I found a hybrid on Amazon that got pretty good reviews, and the price was about a third the cost of a Serta, so we took a chance. He loves it, I love it, there will be no going back.

If you want to see if a hybrid mattress will help, check out Linenspa mattresses on Amazon. They're currently around $300, but the prices tend to hop around. We got ours for around $250. You can either use it with the box springs you already have, or on a platform bed. We've used it both ways, and it's comfortable both ways, but I prefer it with box springs.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Anyone else wake up stiff? My mattress is new and I've been trying to wake early to workout but I'm.so stiff in am, even if I've done nothing day before.

I'm 53, if I didn't have something that hurt or was stiff, I'd think I was dead.

As long as you can work it out after movement, things should be fine. I do have a sleep number bed because DW and I disagree on mattress firmness. If we didn't, I'd be sleeping on the floor as soft beds really do bring out the aches and pains.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    As a bloke, I've been told stiffness is normal...

You are naughty!!!! But I bet the women in your life love it!
    I don't know what you mean... o:)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

its likely your mattress if its fairly new.

(p.s I don't wake up stiff and I'm 49... I don't expect to feel stiffness for many years yet! I'm fit/active so perhaps that makes the difference?)
  • mom22lappys1
    mom22lappys1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My mattress us great I love it, and it doesn't matter where I sleep
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and walk like my grandma in the mornings...she's 89.

30 minutes of moving resolves the issues...imagine what I'll be like at 89.