Food Prep ?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnMarieThomas91
    AnnMarieThomas91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Candyspun wrote: »
    Zoodles are noodles made from zucchinis. You push the zucchini through this thing that looks like a pencil sharpener and noodle-shaped zucchini comes out.

oooo okay sounds good to me ! i need to try that =) thanks
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For five months of the year I work 12-hour days for two or three consecutive weeks, get a week of normal hours, then I'm back on 12-hour days again. I'm also checking in on and running errands for an elderly relative. My schedule is really tight. Not having resources in the freezer or being prepared for the week pushes me to a point where I don't care what I eat, when I eat, or how much I eat. It also led to an addictive reliance on fast food and drive-thrus.

Meal prepping is clearly not for everyone. For me it hits a number of my essential needs: saves time, saves money, eliminate food waste, keeps me on plan and eating healthy, and I never have to think about what I'm going to make/eat when I'm exhausted.

I have friends and relatives who cannot eat the same meal two days in a row. They need variety more than efficiency. I don't get it and I secretly think they're crazy, but I love them anyway. :) My style of meal prepping the same meals for a week (then changing it for the next week) would not work for them. Their free style of winging it proved disastrous to me.

this is my issue, I work 8:30 to 4:30 im up and out at by 6;30am to do childcare run and back home about 5:30pm I then have two young kids to feed and get ready for bed , whilst hubby goes to work (night shifts boooo) if I dont make lunches up I will either not eat lunch, or by crap as lets face it ready made healthy foods for me in central london cost a bomb, I spent £8.10 on half a roast chicken and some salad :( this is why I need to get better at food prep, how ever I end up hating eating the same foods over and over again.

Make a bunch of meals that you like and freeze them in single servings, then mix it up during the week. I have the same problem at work- if I do not bring food I have to choose between super expensive "healthy options" or the cheap junk!
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    For five months of the year I work 12-hour days for two or three consecutive weeks, get a week of normal hours, then I'm back on 12-hour days again. I'm also checking in on and running errands for an elderly relative. My schedule is really tight. Not having resources in the freezer or being prepared for the week pushes me to a point where I don't care what I eat, when I eat, or how much I eat. It also led to an addictive reliance on fast food and drive-thrus.

Meal prepping is clearly not for everyone. For me it hits a number of my essential needs: saves time, saves money, eliminate food waste, keeps me on plan and eating healthy, and I never have to think about what I'm going to make/eat when I'm exhausted.

I have friends and relatives who cannot eat the same meal two days in a row. They need variety more than efficiency. I don't get it and I secretly think they're crazy, but I love them anyway. :) My style of meal prepping the same meals for a week (then changing it for the next week) would not work for them. Their free style of winging it proved disastrous to me.

this is my issue, I work 8:30 to 4:30 im up and out at by 6;30am to do childcare run and back home about 5:30pm I then have two young kids to feed and get ready for bed , whilst hubby goes to work (night shifts boooo) if I dont make lunches up I will either not eat lunch, or by crap as lets face it ready made healthy foods for me in central london cost a bomb, I spent £8.10 on half a roast chicken and some salad :( this is why I need to get better at food prep, how ever I end up hating eating the same foods over and over again.

How much variety do you need? I've discovered that I'm just fine eating the same lunch for 5 days in a row then changing it for something else next week, then, again, eating that for 5 days in a row. Would that work for you?

If not, would 2 different lunches that you eat on alternate days satisfy that need for variety? Or does it need to be more?

I think I might pick two or three recipes, individually portion and freeze, and pick one that appeals to see if that works. It's always the first couple of weekends that are the biggest effort. Getting organized, finding the right recipes, shopping for the ingredients, making, cooling, portioning out. It's more exhausting thinking about it than doing it. I promise. And it's really worth it come lunch time, AND, it really gets easier with each weekend. After you've got a few recipes in the freezer already, then you are just replenishing with an additional new batch of something yummy. Once you find lunches you enjoy, next time make a double batch of that recipe. That will also stretch out your lunch recipe cooking.

This weekend I'm defrosting a 5-serving container of Hearty Hambruger Stew (I can't remember where I found the recipe that I wrote down in my journal. It's similar to this recipe here except I use 2 lbs of ground beef to increase the protein count per serving and I frequently resort to four cups of frozen mixed vegetables if I don't have a bunch of vegetables at the ready in my crisper that need to be souped) - will freeze in two containers of five servings each because I eat the same lunch all week, but you could freeze it in single servings.

One of my favourite lunches is Awesome Chicken Salad, which I stuff into half a bell pepper. I can eat that lunch non-stop, but I make myself change it up from week to week anyway. I will cook two chickens on the weekend, individually freeze the breasts for future meals (usually a salad topper), use the rest of the chicken meat to make enough chicken salad for a week, and make home made broth (eventually vegetable soup) from the carcasses.

I find a lot of good recipes at BudgetBytes.com. She has a specific meal-prep recipe section, and a Meal Prep 101.
  • AnnMarieThomas91
    AnnMarieThomas91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How much variety do you need? I've discovered that I'm just fine eating the same lunch for 5 days in a row then changing it for something else next week, then, again, eating that for 5 days in a row. Would that work for you?

If not, would 2 different lunches that you eat on alternate days satisfy that need for variety? Or does it need to be more?

I think I might pick two or three recipes, individually portion and freeze, and pick one that appeals to see if that works. It's always the first couple of weekends that are the biggest effort. Getting organized, finding the right recipes, shopping for the ingredients, making, cooling, portioning out. It's more exhausting thinking about it than doing it. I promise. And it's really worth it come lunch time, AND, it really gets easier with each weekend. After you've got a few recipes in the freezer already, then you are just replenishing with an additional new batch of something yummy. Once you find lunches you enjoy, next time make a double batch of that recipe. That will also stretch out your lunch recipe cooking.

This weekend I'm defrosting a 5-serving container of Hearty Hambruger Stew (I can't remember where I found the recipe that I wrote down in my journal. It's similar to this recipe here except I use 2 lbs of ground beef to increase the protein count per serving and I frequently resort to four cups of frozen mixed vegetables if I don't have a bunch of vegetables at the ready in my crisper that need to be souped) - will freeze in two containers of five servings each because I eat the same lunch all week, but you could freeze it in single servings.

One of my favourite lunches is Awesome Chicken Salad, which I stuff into half a bell pepper. I can eat that lunch non-stop, but I make myself change it up from week to week anyway. I will cook two chickens on the weekend, individually freeze the breasts for future meals (usually a salad topper), use the rest of the chicken meat to make enough chicken salad for a week, and make home made broth (eventually vegetable soup) from the carcasses.

I find a lot of good recipes at BudgetBytes.com. She has a specific meal-prep recipe section, and a Meal Prep 101.[/quote]

Think your right It wouldn't need to be more than 2, I will have a look at all the links , thanks so much for all the help! I need to just get on with it and get my *kitten* into gear
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I can eat the same meals for weeks on end.... I change things up on weekends, but during the week I keep meals the same until I get bored.
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 284 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @AnnMarieThomas91 wrote:

Think your right It wouldn't need to be more than 2, I will have a look at all the links , thanks so much for all the help! I need to just get on with it and get my *kitten* into gear

Good luck. Be prepared to be thoroughly disorganized at first, and don't be discouraged if it doesn't quite work gracefully. It really does get easier with repetition. And then one day you realize you've hit your natural stride, and it all just seems to fit in effortlessly with your other activities and flows naturally.

When I surf my favourite food blogs, I make PDF copies of recipes I think will work as lunches and save them to a Dropbox folder, so there are generally a few new haven't-made-yet ideas along with a list of favourites. It helps to have a ready list to choose from that I can decide to make when I design my plan for next week. That tells me what to defrost or purchase for the weekend's adventures in the kitchen.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I create my meal plan for the following week on Wednesday, make my list and go shopping Saturday or Sunday. Sunday I do all my prep and place it all in containers for the whole week. I do breakfast, lunch and snack - each dinner is different and cooked "fresh." I've done chicken dishes, ground turkey, pork tenderloin, soups, ingredients for wraps then assembled the wrap that day. I've cut up fruit, veggies, lettuce and I've roasted different veggies (potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini, bell pepper) and everything stays fine til Friday.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I prep breakfast and lunch for workdays and make a family meal for dinner. I have a few go-to meals that I enjoy. I have protein pancakes I like to have for breakfast, but lately I've been on a peanut butter banana toast kick. I have a food scale in my desk at work, so I'll just portion two slices of bread and weigh them before I toast them in the office.

For lunch I like to make a quinoa salad (think pasta salad, but with quinoa instead). I'll also do salmon or tuna salad on Crunchmaster crackers.

The essence of my meal planning is to have 1 carb, 1 protein, 1 fat, 1 veggie, 1 fruit. Sometimes I'll double the protein.

For snacks I do things like string cheese, Greek yogurt, and more veggies that are easy to prep like baby carrots, snap peas, etc.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I take about two hours every Sunday to prep lunches for the week, and basic prep for a few dinners. Generally we'll chat before I go grocery shopping and I encourage her to pick one meal (or at least a type of food that I can expand upon based on what produce looks good at the store). Then I'll make two different meals and we rotate every other meal because SO does not like to eat the same meal two days in a row. I like for each lunch to contain 2 servings of vegetables, one fruit, and at least 25g protein for about 400-500 calories. I don't completely plan out dinners because I like more freedom to get creative in the kitchen, but I'll pre-cook grains/beans or put together something like lasagna if I know we're going to have an exceptionally busy week.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I make all my lunches and snacks at the weekend (lunches being chicken breast and rice or sweet potato). Snacks include sandwiches but most are shop bought like yoghurts and porridge.

Dinner (quorn meatballs and spaghetti, salmon, tuna/beans (yes gross I know)) I make each evening.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I don't do the meal in the container thing, but on Sundays I will do things like make homemade protein bars, fat bombs, make oatmeal packets, weigh and portion out my unsalted cashews into snack baggies, boil eggs, make veggie burger patties and freeze.

This is a great time saver for me!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    No I do not. I try to get my fruit all ready to go (washing, cutting up and putting in tupperwares) but that's about it. I eat sandwiches or leftovers for lunch so no prep there. And I don't really know how I would go about prepping my dinners. So you people cook, say, chicken breast, and then eat it all week??? That seems unsafe? I could see cooking enough for like 2 or 3 nights but that's it. I try to vary my meats during the week too. Like this week my meats include, chicken breast, ground pork, and hamburger... so... I don't know, the meal prep thing doesn't make sense to me. Plus I enjoy cooking. I usually just cook enough at each meal to last 2 nights so I don't have to come up with a different meal and cook every night. I just pick 3 meals per week.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I have groceries delivered on Sunday mornings and spend a few hours on Sunday afternoons prepping all of my meals and snacks for the week. The only thing I actually make fresh during the week are pre-workout smoothies. I keep my meal formula pretty basic. Protein, grain, veg. I make large batches of rice every couple of months and freeze single servings in a muffin tin, so they're grab and go. Protein gets cooked in the toaster oven--takes less than 12 minutes that way! Then I throw about half a bag of frozen veg on top and let whatever sauce is on the vegetables be the flavor for the dish. When I'm ready to eat, it just needs a minute or two in the microwave and it's good to go. I make two kinds of proteins and flavor combos every week so I can pick between them for lunch and dinner and then I don't have to think about cooking again for another week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,024 Member
    Options

Ya, when I worked long hours outside the house and wanted to drastically cut down on fast food, meal prepping on Sunday was the way to go.

I had no problem eating the same breakfasts, lunches, and dinners 5 days straight.

Now I work from home and have more flexibility, but still eat the same breakfasts and lunches. Dinner is usually unique.