First Race Saturday - 10km

Options
Panini911
Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
Running my first official race on Saturday. Have been training with a running club so it's something i should be physically prepared for now.

I've been running for years, just don't do races ;) It's a nice race as well so should be interesting.

I don't run in order to eat more but the extra training means I can add some extra eating here and there (which I need to take advantage of more!)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Have fun!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    enjoy
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Running my first official race on Saturday. Have been training with a running club so it's something i should be physically prepared for now.

I've been running for years, just don't do races ;) It's a nice race as well so should be interesting.

I don't run in order to eat more but the extra training means I can add some extra eating here and there (which I need to take advantage of more!)

Once you compete you'll be hooked and itching to race again. Have fun!!

• stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have fun! The races are the BEST part. I love how you have people of all ages, shapes, etc. participating. If I could afford to register for an event every weekend it would much easier to keep to my weekly training goals.

A friend/coworker walked her first 5k this past Saturday after starting her own fitness/healthy focus a few weeks ago. SHe came to work on Monday and told me she had registered for another for this coming Saturday. :)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! 10K is an awesome distance to race. Long enough to be memorable, but not long enough that you risk getting bored. 5Ks are too short - I tend to forget them right after I run them because of all the adrenaline. HMs are fun but can sometimes turn into a slog from mile 8-11 or so (especially if the weather is bad).

10Ks are just right.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    enjoy :smile:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Have fun. I was surprised the first time I raced at how fun it was. I really didn't expect that. Hard, if you really push yourself, but very satisfying.
  • Panini911
    Options
    thanks everyone.

considering signing up for another in mid September. They have a category where you do the 5k then then 10k which would be interesting but not sure i'll be up to 15k by then. May as well wait to see how I feel Sunday.

of course my foot is acting up this morning :P
  • Panini911
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Finished! in an insane time beyond my "best scenario" time. Though my watch had me only at 9.8 based on where on the road I ran so I feel I should have run more but was feeling pretty ill by the time I passed the finish line and wasn't going to run a foot longer ;)

Take offs are so fast! It's hard to not get swept away, I am a slow and steady start and build from there.

Terrific atmosphere with the lights and the music throughout the 10k.

The best part was going with a group of people (run club/members of my local running room) to pass the hours before the race. The worst part is waiting allllday for the race which was at 9pm!

Lesson learned: be more careful about what you eat for night runs :open_mouth: While I ate my "normal" meals and 3hrs before the race, my stomach was protesting the entire run. But the next two races are morning ones so will need a new plan anyway ;)

I really let the eating go the last two days (celebratory beers for completing the running course, then for finishing the race). I have one more "ice cream reward" I promised I would do after the 10week training program (will try to fit that mostly into today's count) but starting tomorrow I am back to careful tracking and logging.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Glad you had fun!