Feeling the burn but is that enough??

Options
Hi all,

Just a quick query... I am at a kind-of plateu in my weight loss at he moment having leveled out at around 185-188lbs (from a start weight of 212lbs)

I have cleaned up my eating considerably and have started Insanity ( I am in week 2 but have been on very long shifts at work recently so gonna start week 2 again next week...) and I have also been running a couple of times a week and started using dumbbells in a series of all over body weight work outs...

I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND!!!

I am exercising and sweting more than I ever before and I am eating better than I have in years.... why is the weight not moving faster?!

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Replies

• Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump....
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Just a quick query... I am at a kind-of plateu in my weight loss at he moment having leveled out at around 185-188lbs (from a start weight of 212lbs)

I have cleaned up my eating considerably and have started Insanity ( I am in week 2 but have been on very long shifts at work recently so gonna start week 2 again next week...) and I have also been running a couple of times a week and started using dumbbells in a series of all over body weight work outs...

I JUST CANT UNDERSTAND!!!

I am exercising and sweting more than I ever before and I am eating better than I have in years.... why is the weight not moving faster?!

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Take progress pictures. The scale is a lying witch.

The scale isn't showing weight lost because of body recomposition . Most likely you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Let me show you an example. I am within a few pounds of the same weight in all these pictures...

8213431311_eecd2df7b1_z.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

8696528886_a515f0a1fa_z.jpg
    photo grid by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Are you logging consistently? I see a few empty days in your diary.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I think you're one of those people who just have to ignore the scale. Your body belies your weight. Go with how your clothes fit and by measurements. For now, forget results and simply work out to improve your strength, endurance ... etc. The size loss will be secondary. But it will suddenly be there.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I was 244lbs now down to 195 atm, Dont look at Weight on scales thats the kicker, i feel your pain in that respect
    almost 6 months in for the first 4 months i was losing weight at over a kilo a week, then it hit an invisible wall.

the last almost 6 weeks very little has moved on the scales but certainly visually there has been alot of change, and getting comments from friends and co workers about the shrinking of my torso and facial/neck area.

I incorporated alot more weights and not as much strictly cardio, definately gaining some muscle and drinking far more water which gets retained so there's the weight i'd assume. Fining i'm in a constant state of some aching tho i can push through it when at the gym

If you are doing similar that could be your issue (though that's actually a good thing not an issue)

If you are big boned/a naturally thick bodied person like me it's entirely possible you've hit you bodies goal weight and only need to lose fat% not weight, just cause there are guides that say you should weigh X Kg's doesn't mean that applies to everyone, some people have more muscle naturally some are naturally lean with less muscle.

You could also be doing what i was doing and eating too little which ironically has the opposite effect of losing weight at the best you maintain weight.

Try mixing it up abit, eat too much on 1-2 days a week and a few days a week eat below your goal and be consistent with your exercise don't just go like a bull at a gate, burning off massive calories will not lose weight, the body will become too efficient at how it uses the energy to compensate for the excess use, so either eat back some of those calories or do less and make sure what you do is counting and not just crippling your muscles which would leave them in a constant state of needing repair which leads to the body retaining water and fats to help the healing.

Hope that helps from a fellow plateauer. PS i have lost around .3% body fat in the last week despite no weight loss on the scales in total have lost almost 18% within a 22.3Kg weight loss and i can suck in considerably compared to just 5 months ago. So there's still hope

February 22nd - 2013 (front on) 38722420_2283.jpg
    38722420_3492.jpg
    August 8th - 2013 (front on) 38722420_5053.jpg
    38722420_3002.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    How long have you plateaued?
    How long have you been losing weight? What were you averaging per week?
    What exactly do you mean by "faster"?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1) Log consistently
    2) Weigh/measure everything you eat
    3) Always eat ABOVE 1200 calories...when you exercise, net above 1200.
    4) Eat back your exercise calories. Your body needs fuel for all of the exercise you're doing.

Do those 4 things and the scale will move, and you will feel happier and better.