Increase in 'bone cracking' in the mornings since starting lifting?

Options
Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
I'm 115 lbs, 5'6" female. I started exercising regularly two years ago, and started regularly weightlifting about a year and a half ago. Due to some burnout and an active job, I stopped doing cardio at the gym since I am on my feet all day. So for about a year now, I've only been weightlifting. I've noticed that since starting over a year ago, my bones crack a lot more in the mornings. More than my SO who is 5 years older than me, and also weight lifts, although not as regularly as me. I didn't notice a lot of bone cracking before, maybe just my back quietly. But now I wake up and it's a noticeable amount. I lift 3-4 times a week. I don't lift very heavy, especially when doing movements like deadlifts and squats, I keep it very light and have checked my form a lot. This problem isn't painful or anything, I'm just wondering if there is a correlation!

TL/DR
Did you notice your bones cracking more since you started lifting/exercising?

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I started to notice a lot more when I started lifting as well. I started taking a multivitamin, glucosamine, fish oil and I have recently started making homemade bone broth as well. I have noticed a slight decrease in how much I pop but a significant decrease in the pain that came with some of the popping.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I do feel like I crack more but can't really say for sure. I blame my crackiness on my lack of activity during the day. Pretty much every time I get up from my desk, I stretch my hips and they always pop.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Sorry, i found this amusing. My body has always been rather "musical" but even as a child I was very active and did a lot of heavy work (grew up on a farm).

Injuries and joint issues tend to make things worse, and for me, I find that building the smaller, supporting muscles to be just as, if not more important, than the larger muscles. Therefore, I also integrate a lot of balance exercises or things that incorporate using balance of some variety (think using bosu balls, TRX, martial arts, etc).

My joints are less inclined to act like a symphony when I'm keeping up with those things in addition to lifting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nope, I've not had this happen. I definitely have fewer daily aches and pains but as far as feeling/hearing cracking or popping, I've got nothing.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Nobody in my family could sneak up on another. We all crack all the time. I have since I was a kid. Yes, it got worse after starting lifting. But as long as there isn't pain associated with it, it's fine per my ortho doc.