Sugar and carbs

Options
Hi everyone! Just curious if I should worry about going over my sugar goals when it comes from fruit. I am a watermelon fanatic. I eat it pretty much daily because it is sweet and filling but it does have lots of natural sugars. What’s your opinion

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I agree, I so miss watermelon and cantaloupe so much. I am a diabetic and they are bad for me. Very high in sugar. So can have so little of them, compared to having say 1 Cup of berries. Cantaloupe is very bad for anyone who has kidney disease of any type. Or a had a Transplant, 10 x more of an issue than even watermelon.
  • sannklinger
    sannklinger Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I’ve just came so far, 184 pounds gone and don’t want this to throw me off track. I work hard at not going over my daily allowances but fruit always makes me go over my sugar
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I’ve just came so far, 184 pounds gone and don’t want this to throw me off track. I work hard at not going over my daily allowances but fruit always makes me go over my sugar

You change the diary to track something else, if you would prefer to look at a different number. I track fibre and iron rather than sugar and sodium. Not saying you should do what I do, just letting you know there's options.

You've done great. You know what you're doing. Do you have a plan for transitioning to maintenance?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition (such as diabetes) in which too much (or too little) sugar can be dangerous, there's nothing wrong with sugar. Enjoy your watermelons!!!!
  • sannklinger
    Options
    I’m trying to maintain at this point. I am 5’8 and at 145 pounds. So scary for me!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I’m trying to maintain at this point. I am 5’8 and at 145 pounds. So scary for me!

I'm sure. Have you read some of the threads on the maintenance forums? There are a lot of them on transitioning to maintenance and staying there. You might find them helpful.
  • sannklinger
    Options
    I have. I still log everything everyday it just seems so scary to go to a new normal way of eating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just curious if I should worry about going over my sugar goals when it comes from fruit. I am a watermelon fanatic. I eat it pretty much daily because it is sweet and filling but it does have lots of natural sugars. What’s your opinion

I swapped tracking sugar for fiber
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I have. I still log everything everyday it just seems so scary to go to a new normal way of eating.

It would be. You've been eating in a deficit for a long time to lose 184 lbs. Congratulations. You've worked really hard.
  • sannklinger
    Options
    I think tracking fiber would be better for me than the carbs. Just not sure how to change it in here.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I think tracking fiber would be better for me than the carbs. Just not sure how to change it in here.

Diary settings has a drop box and you can change them however you would like. The only number you can't be rid of is the calories.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    As long as the sugar in watermelon doesn't trigger other sugar cravings, I wouldn't worry about it. If I go over on my carbs and sugars and it's because of fruit - I don't beat myself up too bad.