Feeling down

I started my new eating plan around the 3rd of July. To date, I have lost 11 pounds. I'm adhering to my 1200 calories a day, counting, logging and working out at least 30 minutes a day. I got on the scale this morning, hoping for a loss of at least a half pound, but nothing. I feel like I need to work out harder, but I've been having problems with my right leg - my knee and the muscle below my knee. I am seeing my ortho tomorrow and hopefully he can help. I had a lot of shopping today for our healthy food, and with all the lifting my back was screaming. Now all I need is a fibro flare, since it is so hot and humid here. I hate summer.

Replies

• GreatNeckVBMom
    GreatNeckVBMom Posts: 20 Member
    That’s a really great loss. I would say, don’t try to work out more, just do what you can and expect it’s going to be a flat week or even a one pound gain. Patience is really challenging but more sustainable. Plus, if you are in pain, you could make it worse. I have gone up a pound twice but overall I am down 12.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    11 pounds in 6 days is a lot, even including the initial water/waste drop.
    You can't see a loss in fat on the scale from day to day.
    So because of that, and just generally just because, don't punish yourself for "not losing". Adhere to your meal plan and keep moving, but stop if it starts to hurt.
    Make sure you're not self-handicapping.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2018
    Weight loss isn't linear, and you shouldn't expect to lose daily either
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Hey friend ! You're actually doing quite well with your weight loss. 1-2 pounds per week is a healthy rate. Even 0 to 1/2 pound in a week at times. The biggest part is reducing your food intake - which you're doing a real good job at. Hope your leg recovers. It's ok to take a break with the intensity of your workouts.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Plateaus are frustrating and expected. I tend to be analytical and a data junkie so I maintain a spreadsheet with my goal pace and actual weights and then do all sorts of statistical views. What I have learned is that if you stick to your calorie deficit reasonably closely you will see an average rate of loss over time that is pretty steady. Your daily weigh-in's will bounce above and below that mean rate. If you have a plateau you will eventually have a big loss that brings your "graph" back to that mean. For me, the fixation on the data is way to see the big picture and not get frustrated by today's bad scale reading.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Thank you. I hate to whine, but last night I just felt so overwhelmed. Going to the ortho today.
  • Danothelion
    Danothelion Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2018
    I Guarantee you are doing far better than you think. Just because you didn’t lose weight didn’t mean you haven’t lost fat, especially if you are working out regularly. This happens to me when I’m losing weight and working out hard I can see myself getting more fit but not losing weight because I’m putting on muscle and losing fat. The scale is limited to only one metric, have you ever considered other ways of measuring you progress? Like taping or caliper tests? Or you can just put on some old clothes. Do they feel loser on your body? Also, Just remember real weight loss is in your calories consumed vs. calories burnt. Walking 10,000 steps a day will help to lose weight as much as an intense 30 min work out. Last thing, injures are hard especially when you have a goal you want to accomplish. I have several bad body parts and the one think I’ve learned is it is better to take some time off to heal than it is to push through and get hurt worse. That will ultimately get you farther from you goal. Like I said before, I’m positive you’re far better off that you think! Just remember nothing worth having is easy. You’ll get there if you stick to your plan!!! Stay the course!!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited August 2018
    You absolutely should not feel down about no movement on the scale for the week, because that's just how the human body works... there's a lot of functions going on there that impact the scale number that have nothing to do with fat loss-

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why/p1

However, you haven't provided any stats, and I would caution that unless you are quite obese, 2 lbs/week may be too aggressive for you. You are eating the bare minimum for women, and I sure hope you are eating at least some of your exercise calories back.

Hope your knee & back feel better soon :)
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Thank you. I saw the ortho today and with cortisone shots in both knees, they are now feeling much better. I know that I must temper my expectations with reality. I set impossible standards for myself in everything, even though I always advise other people to give themselves a break. So these are my stats: 5'3, SW 224, CW 213, got started July 3, 1200 calories a day which I am mostly meeting - sometimes I drop below. My goal is at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Lately I have been doing 10 minutes on the treadmill, then hop off and do some work with my light weights and then go another 10 on the treadmill, until I am done, so I am getting a full 30 on the treadmill.