I don’t think I’m losing weight??

Options
scaye103092
scaye103092 Posts: 48 Member
edited August 2018 in Getting Started
Hi everybody. 25 (almost 26), female, 5’3” and 200 LBS (+/-5 LBS). I’m doing what I can here but I feel like I’m not losing anything and I don’t want to step on the scale and be obsessed with the numbers. I’ve been doing this for a couple weeks now but just started actually logging about 2 weeks ago. I cut out simple carbs, just about everything I could realistically with added sugar (I’m not trying to make my own plain tomato sauce), anything too high in sodium (hoping to reduce water retention), red meats, and anything too high in unhealthy fats. My calorie requirement for weight loss was originally set to 1600 calories for 1.5 pounds of loss a week but I found I was generally eating closer to 1200, even though I felt like I was eating A LOT, so I upped it to 2 lbs/wk. I do make almost everything myself and weigh/measure everything. If I use anything from a can or packet I measure out what I want with a cup/scoop or weigh it, scan the label, and do the math to figure out how much EXACTLY of what I’m eating. I even log my daily gummy vitamins. I just can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I’m on my feet in a retail position as the only associate working the sales floor 7 hours for each of my five shifts so I am on my feet, moving boxes, and running around A LOT. I also go to the gym 2-3 times a week after work (I’m second shift) and do 30 minutes going as hard as I can with cardio before switching to using weights to work my back and give myself a break as I’ve had pretty bad asthma my whole life and sometimes an inhaler just doesn’t cut it. Sorry for jumping around, it’s late, I’m tired, and about to head to the gym lol.

Replies

• scaye103092
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    so...you dont weigh yourself how do you know if your losing weight or not? Youve only been at it a few weeks and you havent weighed anything. You are overthinking things

My clothes are LITERALLY getting tighter. Doesn’t take a scale to notice that. Or to notice stretch marks appearing. Bright red.
  • scaye103092
    Options
    Ummm that could just be bloating from water weight. I could be at my lowest recorded weight and yet my clothes could suddenly be tight from unexpected water retention.

So yeah, it kind of does need a scale to notice that.

Get a scale. Weigh yourself. Get a food scale, weigh your food. Track your calories PROPERLY. Learn your weight trends. Sometimes the scale won’t move or will go up. Not because you gained weight/fat, but for all sorts of other reasons that will pass because it’s just your body going through it’s prisses of living completely unrelated to fat loss. Time of month, extra sodium, glycogen stores from excess carbs, swelling water weight from exercise, waste because you need to poop, etc etc.

You don’t need to start cutting out entire food groups and then salt the earth they grow in, just track ACCURATELY and CONSISTENTLY.

And welcome!

Thank you for actually being nice and straight to the point. I am weighing everything very accurately and logging it as so. I guess I’m just concerned because I thought at my size I would be able to lose weight quickly considering how much I’m cutting and on my feet/working out.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Most people who find they are not losing weight are doing so because of incorrect logging. Are you sure you are weighing everything? Watch this video to see why weighing is important.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk

If you are weighing everything (except liquids where measuring cups and spoons should be used), including prepackaged food and all condiments, cooking oils etc are you checking them against the nutritional labels on the packaging or against the USDA database for accuracy? I find it hard to believe that you fill full after 1200 calories being that you were eating much more than that to maintain at the weight you currently are. That is assuming you are not actually losing weight because without scales you really don't know.
  • mazurkiepolish
    mazurkiepolish Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Invest in a scale to weigh yourself, measuring tape to check your inches and a food scale. Track everything. It’s hard to determine if we have lost anything if we don’t weigh ourselves. At least that was the problem with me. It took nearly a ten pound loss before I noticed a change in my face or a loss of inches from my waist. Trust the process, it won’t fail you! Sounds like you are doing everything right. Believe that it is hard to see a physical difference in ourselves until we lose a bit of that weight from what we have to lose. (I’m aiming to lose 30-40, took about 10 pounds before I saw any differences.) I retain a bunch of water so I only make sure to weigh myself once a day, and that’s right after I wake up before I’ve had any food or anything to drink. The best advice I ever received was “Take your time, this isn’t a race to the finish line, but something to make into a lifestyle.”
  • fruitily
    fruitily Posts: 75 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If you don't want to weigh yourself, can you use other measurements? Like inches in waist, hip, thigh? MFP have an option to register that as well.

@Lillymoo01 is right that you should use a food scale.
  • akronrick
    akronrick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You said:

I’m doing what I can here but I feel like I’m not losing anything and I don’t want to step on the scale and be obsessed with the numbers. I’ve been doing this for a couple weeks now but just started actually logging about 2 weeks ago.

That's not enough time for much to happen. Weight loss can be slow at first because the body "sees" that it's getting less food so it "holds on" to what it has. Eventually, your body "figures out" that the calories will come and it starts burning up what it was holding. Also...water retention. The body does the same thing with water especially if you increase your exercise. That's why we gotta drink lots of water. (Counterintutive, isn't it? We have to drink MORE water in order to LOSE water.)

Weigh yourself once a week at the same time each week. No more, no less.

Trust the process.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    so...you dont weigh yourself how do you know if your losing weight or not? Youve only been at it a few weeks and you havent weighed anything. You are overthinking things

My clothes are LITERALLY getting tighter. Doesn’t take a scale to notice that. Or to notice stretch marks appearing. Bright red.

Stretch marks can occur while you're losing weight as well as while you're gaining, sadly.

Did you just start the exercise regime? Your body can retain extra water to deal with muscle repair, and that can make your clothes tighter.

It's early days, and you're relying on fairly subjective methods for assessing progress. I recommend patience and using more objective methods of assessing progress, such as weighing yourself and using a tape measure. Progress photos, while still subjective, are better than relying on your memory of how you looked weeks or months earlier -- and, for some reason, many, but by no means all, people are able to see themselves more realistically in photos than in mirrors.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Way to stay at it! Awesome OP!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Update: several months in and I’m down around 70 pounds. Turns out my body just took a little extra time to catch up to the changes I was making. I didn’t see any weight loss for the first 6 weeks!

Great job!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work. You should be very proud of yourself. Sticking with the process when you are not seeing results straight away is very hard. But you have proved that it does pay off.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've often found that my perception of whether or not I lost weight on any given week seldom correlated with whether or not I actually lost any weight.
    Stick to the numbers, not how you feel.
    Try taking measurements if you're worried about getting obsessed with the scale.