Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tariqfilms wrote: »
    wxn8wnmlvtp2.png

Pretty much back where I started. My waist measurements are also back to where I started. No fast food, eating under my maintenance and never over. Weight train 3 times a week with a personal trainer who pushes me to the max. Had thyroids tested and they were fine. My gym instructor has told me that I need to up my cardio but what I don’t get is, why my weight has gone back to where it was. Its so gutting.

Do you weigh your food?
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    wxn8wnmlvtp2.png

Pretty much back where I started. My waist measurements are also back to where I started. No fast food, eating under my maintenance and never over. Weight train 3 times a week with a personal trainer who pushes me to the max. Had thyroids tested and they were fine. My gym instructor has told me that I need to up my cardio but what I don’t get is, why my weight has gone back to where it was. Its so gutting.

You might be putting on muscle, which is denser than fat. Weight training 3x/week will do that. Your scales will only show weight, not your body composition. The after pictures in your first post differ quite a bit from your before pictures, and it's obvious you've put on muscle. Honestly, if you don't think there are any changes to your body, and you're fixated on your weight, only seeing stagnation, not muscle replacing fat, even though your body is showing that, the issue might be with how you perceive yourself, especially as people here are seeing a body that's changing except you. One of the previous posters suggested therapy. I think that is a good suggestion. It doesn't sound like you will be satisfied with your body until you change how you see it.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

You do realize that when bodybuilders what to build muscle, they think in terms of....GAINING WEIGHT??

You CLEARLY look amazing, had great changes in your pics. Your waist looks a lot trimmer, your lats are much bigger, your chest has much more muscle and much less fat.

I'm thinking you need to do what I did - say bye bye to the scale. If you are lifting heavy, the scale is not friendly.

64cmtbic42mf.png
  • HollaDeckGirl
    HollaDeckGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Real talk: Body dysmorphia is a real d***. Without going as far as arm-chair psychiatrist-ing you, just know that how you are perceiving yourself is not what others see. To me, it appears you have accomplished a very difficult thing, which is body recomp. Who cares what you weigh when you look that much better?

If the number on the scale is your biggest concern at the moment, there are a few things you can probably do to tighten up your tracking.
    - Weigh your food. measuring cups suck.
    - You're probably burning way fewer calories lifting (assuming you do) than you would think.
    - Track your cardio burn with a heart rate monitor. Again, estimates from anything else are always really wonky.

As annoying as this is to say, it absolutely does come down to calories in vs calories out. There appears to be an error in your math happening either in the caloric burn, or intake.

Also worth noting, your PT sounds really lazy. They should be combing through your food diaries with you as a first step.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

You do realize that when bodybuilders what to build muscle, they think in terms of....GAINING WEIGHT??

You CLEARLY look amazing, had great changes in your pics. Your waist looks a lot trimmer, your lats are much bigger, your chest has much more muscle and much less fat.

I'm thinking you need to do what I did - say bye bye to the scale. If you are lifting heavy, the scale is not friendly.

64cmtbic42mf.png

(FYI, that's not me in the pic, just decided to give that as an example).
  • tariqfilms
    tariqfilms Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok. You’ve hit a point in your life where no results have become apparent. The first thing I would tell you to do is invest in a Fitbit preferably blaze or better. It will be the best bloody investment you can make. People can argue and chat shiz about how accurate they are but if you leave the device to what’s its had millions in investment to do it genuinely IS ACCURATE and it works. Using this device you can adjust your overall calorie intake based on a daily reading of calories burnt per day. You’ll be surprised how little you may actually be burning per day.
    Next switch up your training. Periodisation is key meaning every 3-4 weeks training variables should be changed. Hypertrophy training and volume for fat loss is actually better in my opinion. If your training heavy. Stop. Train slightly lighter and aim to execute each exercise with absolute accuracy and full contraction of muscle.
    Question? Are you aiming to hit macronutrient targets or just eating overall calories without paying attention to proteins, carbs, fats?

Hi, so my trainer specialties in Hypertrophy training, and to hit my macronutrient targets, which are 166 P, 66 F and 140 C which add up to 1818 calories a day.

Apart from the 3 x 1 hour sessions a week I find it incredibly hard to find time to move as I work from home. My daily routine is up at 5:30am with the kids, have them changed, fed and dropped off to school by 8am. I am back home for 8:30am and start work at 10 to 6pm. At 6pm my laptop closes and I spend time with the children, get them both off to bed at 8pm and then go to bed myself around 9pm.

My PT pushes me hard and the only reason I have him is because he pushes me to my absolute limit in the gym. He has basically asked me to burn 300-500 calories a day by walking for an hour and incorporate that in as my body seems to have adapted and the results have slowed down. I am worried that If I keep lowering my calories I will end up eating 1 meal a day and my body will once again adapt. I have never been a big eater, I just don't move enough so I am going to incorporate a 500 calories walk/light run 3-5 times a week on top of my training and see if that helps. It would mean I would have to go to the gym at 9pm but I really can't see any other way.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is your goal, I can boil this down to two words:

Eat. Less.

You can do all the calculating you want. You can add 2 hours per day of walking (with two little kids and not enough sleep how do you take another two hours out of the day?). You can do strength training. And so on. But this is a simple problem. If you're not losing weight, you're ingesting too many calories.

But I caution, simple does not mean easy.
  • tariqfilms
    tariqfilms Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »

Eat. Less.

You can do all the calculating you want. You can add 2 hours per day of walking (with two little kids and not enough sleep how do you take another two hours out of the day?). You can do strength training. And so on. But this is a simple problem. If you're not losing weight, you're ingesting too many calories.

I used to eat 1000 calories a day for about 6 months and lost no weight.

• countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options

OK. It's possible you are one of that teensy percentage of the population that has a significant metabolic disorder causing you to be unable to lose weight even when caloric intake is drastically cut. So for that, I suggest a medical workup.

But here's the thing I don't get: If you maintained your weight at 1000 calories per day how could you also have maintained your weight at 2000 calories per day? Something doesn't add up here. Literally.

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I can see a definite difference. Take a moment to enjoy your achievement. Make sure you are logging your food consistently and diligently.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »

Eat. Less.

very doubtful