Good workout to do in the morning?

Options
Hey people, lately I have been trying to really develop my morning routine (waking up early, working in the morning, taking time for a nutritious breakfast) and I'd like to add some kind of exercise to get my blood flowing (and hopefully make it easier for me to start the day). What do you guys recommend? Keep in mind running isn't an option due to injuries. Also, should I workout before or after my breakfast?
Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I recommend anything that won't aggravate your injuries and that you enjoy. Without knowing more, it's impossible to be more specific.

Working out before or after breakfast is purely personal preference. Some people find they need to eat something before they work out, others prefer to work out on an empty stomach.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Whatever workout you enjoy, can tolerate with your injuries, and will consistently do.

Before or after breakfast - personal preference. Some do better on an empty stomach, some do better with some food beforehand. It doesn't make any difference as far as your weight loss or fitness goes.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My injury basically prevents me from running and doing any jumps or hops (anything that puts direct pressure on the hip)
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cycling or swimming are great options for hip injuries.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »
    What do you guys recommend? Keep in mind running isn't an option due to injuries.
    Don't run but do the exercise that you enjoy, doesn't aggravate your injuries and takes you towards your health & fitness goals (whatever they are). A mixture of strength and cardio is probably optimal for most but the blend is very personal. My favourites are cycling and weight training, yours may well be different.
    Also, should I workout before or after my breakfast?
    Yes, before or after. Or don't have breakfast at all.
    Doesn't really matter beyond personal preferences unless you are doing hard cardio for over 2hrs in which case you need to think about fuelling.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Got a dog? My two huskies have made it very clear that they expect to be walked every morning as soon as the sun starts coming up. ;)<3
  • Icy_Fox
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What do you guys recommend? Keep in mind running isn't an option due to injuries.
    Don't run but do the exercise that you enjoy, doesn't aggravate your injuries and takes you towards your health & fitness goals (whatever they are). A mixture of strength and cardio is probably optimal for most but the blend is very personal. My favourites are cycling and weight training, yours may well be different.

How much time do you spend for each (cycling and weights)?

• Icy_Fox
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    Got a dog? My two huskies have made it very clear that they expect to be walked every morning as soon as the sun starts coming up. ;)<3

I do, though she likes to sleep in hahah
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like combat workouts first thing in the morning. It's easy to adjust to how you feel that day by kicking lower or punching more softly...which is helpful if you are sore from a previous day's workout. Plus, I love the way it makes me feel supercharged and totally badass all day long.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Find what you enjoy and/or what will help you reach your goals. I spend 1 1/2-2 hours in the gym before work (no breakfast) and have a few different workouts to pull from depending on my needs/goals at that particular time.

I hate steady state cardio, so very seldom do that, and I also cannot run due to injury (ankle just can't move that far after a pilon fracture). Sometimes I have to modify or find alternative ways of accomplishing what I want because of an injury, but have yet to find anything I couldn't accomplish one way or another.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my hip and aquafit works wonders! No pain can do all the exercises.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    whatever you enjoy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

How much time do you spend for each (cycling and weights)?

It varies by the season but I try to keep to strength training for 3 sessions a week of about an hour per session for most of the year.
    Cycling is 10 to 36 hours a month, less in winter more in summer, maybe a bit extreme unless you really enjoy it like I do and have specific goals to train for.

PS - I can't run but my problem is knees rather than hips so YMMV.