Knee injury and afterwards

Two months ago I fell and hurt my knee. Most of the pain was in the LCL and I couldn't bend it much past 90 degrees and even that hurt. Goodbye cardio.

On Monday, while putting my socks on, I felt something snap in my knee. Agonizing pain and much swearing followed by despair that the healing process was pushed back to the beginning. Instead, while the rest of that day was difficult, since then it feels fine. I can sleep comfortably again. I was able to ride my recumbent bike today. I can bend my knee!

What I'm wondering is if this is likely to be a problem in the future (always a weak spot) and are there exercises I can do to strengthen that area avoid complications?

Note: No insurance and can't afford PT.

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Honestly none of us can give you a good answer, especially as you've had zero imaging done. I realize this isn't the answer you want but it's the truth. You don't have a diagnosis and none of us can diagnose you. With a diagnosis you would potentially be able to get some educated guesses from people here who have experience with knee injuries/rehab, but even then those would be educated guesses.

In terms of exercises, OrthoInfo has a useful page here and another potentially useful one here. Ideally you would be talking with medical professionals (and not the internet - even if there are people who are medical professionals who are also speaking with you over the internet despite you not being their patient), but as you said, you don't have insurance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    No one on here can diagnose you, you need a physio.

Generic advice: Google strengthening exercises, don't do anything that hurts.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited August 2018
    Those are all symptoms that suggest you should see a sports doctor to find out whats wrong and your options. And if you cant afford a doctor or pt, you can live with it lots of people live with major knee injuries but they are prevented from doing the activities they like, or they continue and keep doing more damage. The choice is yours.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    I would definitely miss cycling if I could never do it again, but not enough to go into debt. That said, thank you for the responses; especially the exercise links.

I do find it fascinating how well our bodies can heal though. A couple years ago I was diagnosed with advanced degenerative disc disease (when I had insurance before being laid off). My son nagged me into strength training and my back pain disappeared. Before that I developed shoulder pain (I forget what it was called but there were white bits on the xray that shouldn't have been there). Physical therapy restored full range of motion and I've never had a problem with it since.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    For what it's worth, on the other side of that coin - I once fully dislocated one of my patellas in my late teens (I was probably 19 at the time). I didn't have PT because my GP was irresponsible and didn't refer me for (or even suggest) PT. Fast forward maybe 5 years and I was experiencing pain when cycling which shouldn't be happening to an otherwise physically healthy person in their early 20s. Turns out I needed major surgery to avoid major cartilage damage (I would have eventually needed a double knee replacement had my surgeries not been done) and then a second set of surgeries some odd number of years later, which wasn't so much the fault of my original surgeon so much as it was an issue of research advancing.

Had I not had surgery I wouldn't be able to continue cycling (unless I wanted to deal with moderate knee pain for the next 5-7 days), running would have been completely off the table, swimming would have been so-so (even front crawl), using the elliptical (which isn't my favorite thing ever but it's useful for warming up) would have been out, and so on. It also would have been a very quick road to needing a double knee replacement. Note - I really enjoy doing activities that involve bending my knee, regardless of whether or not they are high impact so not being able to do those things is a fairly big deal for me.

I'm not sure whether or not having had PT when I first dislocated my knee would have allowed me to avoid knee surgery, as the issue was that my patellas tracked in a very abnormal way, but I probably would have been able to put them off for longer. I've since had loads of PT from various very good physical therapists (most of whom are cyclists actually).