Topic for Men over 30 yo

Options
Stud47
Stud47 Posts: 389 Member
edited August 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hello, men, just getting this started, Please post how you did on your goals, what your futur goals will be, and let the discussion begin!
I Saw many tread for women only, cause women may have their own concerns so do men.
Second thing: men starts generally gaining weigths and lose their shape at 30 yo and plus and have health issues at 40 +
So this tread is for men over 30 to motivate eachothers and stay healthy.

I'm 48 yo no particular health issue but i know that over weight is one.

I'm 187 lbs and my goal is 155 lbs
I'm doing intermittent fasting 20/4
Fast walking 30 min per day
Cardio 2-3 Times a week
I will start lifting soon

Adam

Regards,

Replies

• JasonDee1989
    JasonDee1989 Posts: 84 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Just turned 38 today.

June 20th: 193 lbs. 15 push-ups in a set
    July 20th: 176 lbs.
    August 8th: 170 lbs. 60 push-ups in a set.

Biking is my cardio. Eating clean.
    Once I get a little more belly fat off, my plans are to focus a little more on strength training and less on cardio.

Sending request. 🙌🏼
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Just to make sure you know this - the process of weight loss is the same for everybody, regardless of sex, age, medical issues, life circumstances. (It really is just "eat less, move more, and the moving is optional".) Whereas the best method for weight loss will be individual, regardless of sex and age, but very much determined by preferences, medical issues and life circumstances.
  • Stud47
    Options
    Just turned 38 today.

June 20th: 193 lbs. 15 push-ups in a set
    July 20th: 176 lbs.
    August 8th: 170 lbs. 60 push-ups in a set.

Biking is my cardio. Eating clean.
    Once I get a little more belly fat off, my plans are to focus a little more on strength training and less on cardio.

Sending request. 🙌🏼

Hi Jason

You did good job already, my strategy is the same, to lose more fat then do strenth training and eat well. I think Intermittent fasting suits me as a life style.

Keep up the good work and let's support eachothers cause the hardest part is to maintain our goals

• Stud47
    Options
    Just to make sure you know this - the process of weight loss is the same for everybody, regardless of sex, age, medical issues, life circumstances. (It really is just "eat less, move more, and the moving is optional".) Whereas the best method for weight loss will be individual, regardless of sex and age, but very much determined by preferences, medical issues and life circumstances.

I know that but it has not to do with sexism, i partîcipate in many topics and there is no harm to have variety of topics. One more thing: men's goals may sometimes be differtent from women's one : Build muscles, powerlifting,etc.
    Its not only about losing weight but more than that.

• Stud47
    Options
    I see many topics for Women only and i totally respect that and nobody question it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stud47 wrote: »
    I see many topics for Women only and i totally respect that and nobody question it.

generally about periods or boobs.
  • Stud47
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lol Travis. Men also can have boobs when overweight and andropause haha

Anyway it's a topic like another one and i hope that we can share our expériences:

- Show our progress by stats and photos
    - Talk about exercices : lifting, abs, etc.
    - Fathering at an old age (38 +) and still have energy for kids : that's me i have 3 kids and soon 4 in september and that's one of the main reason i want stay healthy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

I know that but it has not to do with sexism, i partîcipate in many topics and there is no harm to have variety of topics. One more thing: men's goals may sometimes be differtent from women's one : Build muscles, powerlifting,etc.
    Its not only about losing weight but more than that.
    I did not think about your thread as sexist. (But I'm starting to, lol - a lot of women powerlift and build muscles.) It's just that many people come to the forums with a set of preconceptions that hold them back, like
    -their genetics/metabolism/health issues/body shape makes them so unique that things that work for everybody else, won't work for them (especially things like "eat less", move more"; they ask if they're eating too little to lose weight, etc),
    -they try to control things they can't control, and fail to control what they can control (they would take pills to increase their metabolism, but still eat too much),
    -they don't give processes enough time, or measure their progress incorrectly (expect a drop on the scale from day to day, or weigh themseves on differrent scales, or at different times of the day).
  • Stud47
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lol i wrote may sometimes be different: in general more men want to lose weight and gain them back differently by building muscles. Most of women want to lose weight and maintain their weight after. Goals might be different.

Totally agree with you with the rest.

I wont debate this anymore :) the puspose of this topic has nothing to do with that
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Adam,

Hello again from the other thread. I take @kommodevaran 's point on male vs female, for the most part weight loss strategies are universal for homo sapiens. That said, men talking to each other is a good idea. I'll be 59 next week and I have been doing MFP since I was 54 (or thereabouts). My high water mark was 248.5, I set a goal of 180 (I'm 6ft tall). Over 11 months I lost 66lbs, one pound short of my goal!! Then my marriage nearly ended and I was obviously given a new set of priorities. Fast forward several years, I'm back up to around 225 with marriage intact. I recommitted to my original goal of 180 (just in the healthy BMI range with a few pounds of margin). I'm at 201 this morning. I'm a big advocate of a simple CICO strategy with emphasis on burning extra calories to allow for extra eating. I have found running to be the best exercise for pure calorie burning and rapid weight loss. However, I'm now equally interested in weightlifting for a more muscular appearance and a slower loss rate. My workouts always start with weights and end with cardio (running, elliptical or walking). Since I'm older the muscle/strength issue is more important to me. I see people my age who look much older and are losing mobility. Strength training is vital for men (and women) as they age I believe in order to prevent injury and improve quality of life. To my younger brothers I would urge you to work on muscles now, it only gets harder later. As a side benefit, my commitment to regular exercise has rubbed off on my three teenage sons, they all go to the gym routinely which is gradifying and will serve them well in later life.
  • Stud47
    edited August 2018
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    Adam,

Hello again from the other thread. I take @kommodevaran 's point on male vs female, for the most part weight loss strategies are universal for homo sapiens. That said, men talking to each other is a good idea. I'll be 59 next week and I have been doing MFP since I was 54 (or thereabouts). My high water mark was 248.5, I set a goal of 180 (I'm 6ft tall). Over 11 months I lost 66lbs, one pound short of my goal!! Then my marriage nearly ended and I was obviously given a new set of priorities. Fast forward several years, I'm back up to around 225 with marriage intact. I recommitted to my original goal of 180 (just in the healthy BMI range with a few pounds of margin). I'm at 201 this morning. I'm a big advocate of a simple CICO strategy with emphasis on burning extra calories to allow for extra eating. I have found running to be the best exercise for pure calorie burning and rapid weight loss. However, I'm now equally interested in weightlifting for a more muscular appearance and a slower loss rate. My workouts always start with weights and end with cardio (running, elliptical or walking). Since I'm older the muscle/strength issue is more important to me. I see people my age who look much older and are losing mobility. Strength training is vital for men (and women) as they age I believe in order to prevent injury and improve quality of life. To my younger brothers I would urge you to work on muscles now, it only gets harder later. As a side benefit, my commitment to regular exercise has rubbed off on my three teenage sons, they all go to the gym routinely which is gradifying and will serve them well in later life.

That's my strategies too

155943013.png
  • terrichcombo
    terrichcombo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good thread, stud47! I started one a few weeks ago too, mainly due to the dirth of specific threads about men struggling with weight. I've been an overweight guy most of my life. At 5'9" I was almost 300lbs and had experienced the comorbidities of heart attack, sleep apnea, 2 hip replacements, pre-diabetes, sky high cholesterol, etc.. Seven years ago at age 56 I got sick and tired of waking up sick and tired. Through lots of support, being "conscious" of my food intake - portion awareness (had to learn that a portion was not meant to be the whole bag/box!), and starting to exercise I was able to lose about 105 lbs. Lately I've gotten complacent/cocky and have "found" about 20 of those lost pounds. For me, it's a lifelong, lifestyle commitment - the alternative is not pleasant (been there, don't want to go back there). Thanks again. It's good to get another perspective. One day, one meal at a time!
  • bigrichieAF28
    bigrichieAF28 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nice job getting this going. I'm 35 years old, about 6'2" and weighed in around 223lbs as of 10 days ago. I feel I have the foundation to build off of, but I just need to get my nutrition dialed in. I've tried various different methods, some with results, some without. My wife eats, sleeps and breathes fitness and nutrition and had been on me to start following my macros. 10 days ago I worked out my numbers and have been rolling with it since. Stripped a quick 5lbs. I like it because it allows me to eat whatever I want so long as it fits inside my macros. I have a pretty strict regimen in the gym which includes lifting every morning at 5am. I hope more guys chime in on what is working for them. Have a good one guys.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I started at about 135# and 6'1 after a long illness a few years ago. I wasted away to almost nothing. Very little body fat but also very little muscle. Just a big head on a stick. Even after I was cured I really wasn't up to anything physical at all for a long while and so just concentrated on trying to get my weight back up by just eating. I ended up at about 180# and high body fat. Your typical skinny-fat dude. Not what I was going for. I've always been rather fit and fairly muscular and finally decided to try to get back to that.

Two years ago I started lifting again seriously. I was gambling on muscle memory helping me a bit so was very aggressive with my bulk. I bulked for a year and ended up at 240# around December of last year. My routine at first was just a standard PPL but I didn't like the 2x rotation (hard on recovery) and the 1x was too little frequency -
    so I went to a modified PHUL routine which I've been on since. Anyhow... started a cut in January of this year (RFL) and dropped to 190# in 4.5 months. I was very focused and luckily managed to retain the majority of my gains. I ended my cut at about 13% BF. I've been bulking again since then - much slower this time as any muscle memory/newbie gains are well exhausted. I'm up to 205# and about 15% bodyfat (still have abs but they are starting to get a bit fuzzy). My goal is to bulk to about 220 and then a quick cut back down to 13%-15%. My end goal is to max out my genetic natural potential - which I calculate out to be around 220 at 13%. I'm 48 now so I'm not sure how close to that goal I'm going to get. I'm a bit OCD and the bulking/cutting part hasn't been an issue. I can gain and lose pretty much the way I want without the typical struggles with compliance.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    If you use the search feature and type in GoaD you should be able to find our men’s group. When you find it I think you join by clicking the options box top right.
  • Stud47
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Welcom all guys
    Terrichcombo: happy to know that your conception of food and your new lifestyle helped you to get healthy. Obesity and weight are thé major causes of deseases Indeed. My doctor gave me my annuel health check up lately and i'm worried that the results show diabets or high cholesterol. Will wait until i lose some weight then i'll do my health check up. That was my doctor's advice too.
    BifrichieAF you are lucky that your wife follows your diet, its thé best support we can have. Actually my wife is doing the same thing for me, meanwhile she Can eat watever she wants without gaining weight : good genetic! I will start lifting soon toi but not at 5am, more at 5pm lol.
    Jseams 1234 i'm 48 too and i think at our age we can still acheave goals like yours, bravo for your 15% BF, u are inspiring me, any pics? I'm very far from your 15% i will post some pics or my progress here soon. 13% is very possible for you, GO GO.

Seems like'we all are aware that over weight can lead to health issues so lets be healthy
  • Stud47
    Options
    Hi buddies

Today is my 5th day on IF. No hunger, not tired and i feel very well. Yesterday i had to work at my office late until 6:30PM so i did 22,5 / 1,5 instead of 20/4.
  • clarksthandyman
    Options
    Hello, men, just getting this started, Please post how you did on your goals, what your futur goals will be, and let the discussion begin!
    I Saw many tread for women only, cause women may have their own concerns so do men.
    Second thing: men starts generally gaining weigths and lose their shape at 30 yo and plus and have health issues at 40 +
    So this tread is for men over 30 to motivate eachothers and stay healthy.

I'm 48 yo no particular health issue but i know that over weight is one.

I'm 187 lbs and my goal is 155 lbs
    I'm doing intermittent fasting 20/4
    Fast walking 30 min per day
    Cardio 2-3 Times a week
    I will start lifting soon

Adam

Regards,

What are the benefits of fasting intermittently?

Thanks, Dave