Clif Bars

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
What's your opinion on them? I bought one yesterday to try, and it was pretty darn good. I am a little concerned at the fact that the bar was 240 cals with only 10 grams of protein (but 5 fiber! yayyyyy!!).

Anyway, I'm not looking for them as a meal replacement bar or anything. I'm only using them as a snack when I'm on a plane next month (because nobody likes airplane food, lol).

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I would look into Kashi & larabars. They have the same calories as the cliff bar, but higher protein and fiber. Promax are tasty & very high protein, and thinkthin bars are okay too.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like the luna protein bars (less calories & many yummy chocolate flavors), although the clif peanut butter pretzel is awesome! Also clif kids are good - they are smaller so lower in calories.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first one yesterday. I got the chocolate chip cookie. Very yummy! I've tried the Lara Bars but I can't stand them. I think they are nasty. Maybe I need to try a different flavor. It his pretty high calorie for only 10g of protein. I really like the Luna Protein bars. Those are delicious!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I love the mini's. I use them when I need something to eat when running. They should not be used as a protein bar...they are meant for quick energy useage (think hiking, running, camping)...they are not the normal protein bar and shouldn't be consitered such. I also love that they are natural, mostly organic, have no trans fats, and are vegetarian.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love the luna bars, but cannot find the mini ones ! Where do you get the minis from?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I get the kids cliff bars. They are packed with calcium and only 120 calories. I buy them by the box for only $3 for 8(?) so they are far cheaper too.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I love the luna bars, but cannot find the mini ones ! Where do you get the minis from?
    I can find Luna mini's at Target and sometimes Walmart.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I just bought my first one yesterday. I got the chocolate chip cookie. Very yummy! I've tried the Lara Bars but I can't stand them. I think they are nasty. Maybe I need to try a different flavor. It his pretty high calorie for only 10g of protein. I really like the Luna Protein bars. Those are delicious!

What flavor did you try? There are a couple that are not so great, but the others are awesome.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I like clif. I usually only eat half at a time. For higher protein, I buy their "Buliders" bars which have around 270 calories. But 20g protein. So half is 135 cals and 10g protein. I also enjoy Luna which isn't as indulgent (Clif bars always taste like big soft cookies to me... yum!) but has very similar nutrition & fewer calories (around 170-180).

In response to a poster above, Larabars have LESS protein, LESS fiber, and similar calories to Clif. I personally have never tried Larabar because I want more than 3-6g protein in my nutrition bar.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Plain and simple........I LOVE 'EM!!!:smile:
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mm, Clif Bars are tasty, like a less guilty candy bar! I've used them to replace breakfast before since they're so big, hehe. I tend to eat Luna bars more often since they aren't as big and seem (like LittleSpy said!) less indulgent, lol. I've only had one Larabar and I was disappointed because it was so small and it tasted nasty to me (it was the Chocolate mint flavor). I haven't been paying attention to protein until lately so when I buy more I need to look into the Luna protein and the bodybuilders.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My favorite are Premier Nutrition bars.

http://www.premiernutrition.com/

Their bars are great and are loaded with 30g of protein!!!!!! I buy the variety pack at Sam's club for like $17(for 15 bars, 5 of each flavor). It's so much cheaper than Clif or Promax, more protein, and fewer calories. No brainer, right? Plus they taste pretty darn good too (as far as protein bars go).
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    chocolate mint is a hard flavor to pull off in most things except ice cream ;)

Try other Larabar flavors like peanut butter & jelly, cinnamon roll, ginger snap, and the pie flavors. They're yummy! Doctor's Carbrite Diet bars are tasty too.
  • LittleSpy
    Options

Try other Larabar flavors like peanut butter & jelly, cinnamon roll, ginger snap, and the pie flavors. They're yummy! Doctor's Carbrite Diet bars are tasty too.

The thing is, the OP expressed concern (ish) that Clif bars have such a high calorie content for their only 9-10g protein. Well, Larabars are worse in those terms, as I mentioned above, because the Larabars I've seen only have 3g-6g protein and are 210-220 calories. So, Larabars aren't a great suggestion for the original poster regardless of how strongly you feel about them. :wink: :tongue:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I like clif. I usually only eat half at a time. For higher protein, I buy their "Buliders" bars which have around 270 calories. But 20g protein. So half is 135 cals and 10g protein. I also enjoy Luna which isn't as indulgent (Clif bars always taste like big soft cookies to me... yum!) but has very similar nutrition & fewer calories (around 170-180).

I also love the clif "Builders" bars with 20 grams of protein.
    They are also very close to 40%-30%-30%(C/P/F)
  • DrBorkBork
    Options

The thing is, the OP expressed concern (ish) that Clif bars have such a high calorie content for their only 9-10g protein. Well, Larabars are worse in those terms, as I mentioned above, because the Larabars I've seen only have 3g-6g protein and are 210-220 calories. So, Larabars aren't a great suggestion for the original poster regardless of how strongly you feel about them. :wink: :tongue:

I was just suggesting them since they were about the same calories, and high in fiber, and not a bad source of protein. I just got concerned when other people expressed their negative feelings. Make sure you're trying more than one flavor, people. I had the same experience with ThinkThin bars. I had a chocolate strawberry one that was vile, but worked up the nerve to try some other flavors & loved them :)
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I was just suggesting them since they were about the same calories, and high in fiber, and not a bad source of protein. I just got concerned when other people expressed their negative feelings. Make sure you're trying more than one flavor, people. I had the same experience with ThinkThin bars. I had a chocolate strawberry one that was vile, but worked up the nerve to try some other flavors & loved them :)

Can't argue with that!
    Except with the ThinkThin bars. I've tried 3 -- all gross! :laugh: But you know, different strokes.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Detour Lower Sugar Caramel Peanut bar

There are 2 sizes, I buy the smaller one:

1.5oz/43g bar
    170 calories
    5g fat
    240mg salt
    17g total carbs
    2g fiber
    3g sugar
    12g sugar alcohol
    15g protein

It's like eating a yummy candy bar with gooey caramel!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

That's awesome! I'm on a 40/30/30 plan, so I really have been looking for foods like this.

Okay, as for other posters, what do you recommend in flavors for the Builder Bars?
    I'm not a really big fruit or caramel person. I love chocolate, peanut butter, and pretzel flavors, though (hmm... you must wonder how I got so overweight, lol). :D
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

That's awesome! I'm on a 40/30/30 plan, so I really have been looking for foods like this.

Okay, as for other posters, what do you recommend in flavors for the Builder Bars?
    I'm not a really big fruit or caramel person. I love chocolate, peanut butter, and pretzel flavors, though (hmm... you must wonder how I got so overweight, lol). :D

I eat the builders some times and my fave flavors are chocolate and the peanut butter. They also have chocolate mint, cookies and cream, lemon, and vanilla almond.
    I also like the Clif Mojo bars (they have 10 grams of protein but are around 200 cals) but the peanut butter pretzel one is to die for.