Canned Salmon Nutrition Label Incorrect?

To save money, today I tried canned salmon from Aldi’s. The can said that it contained five 3 oz servings, totaling up to 15 oz. When I drained the can and weighed out two servings, being 6 oz, to eat, it ended up being a large majority of the can though. After weighing the rest, I discovered the can contained less than even 11 oz of salmon. I could care less about this because it was still super cheap, but when I ate 6 oz, much more than half the can, did I eat 2 servings of what the can label said 3 oz was or did I consume over 3 servings since the can said that 5 servings were in the can and I ate well over half? Any insight would be much appreciated. I have included the nutrition label as a picture in this post.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Go by weight...you ate 6oz, so 2 servings
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Is the nutrition label for undrained weight?
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    a little off topic, but farmed salmon has much more calories than wild
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    More than likely the serving size includes the weight of the fluid.
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Are you sure that your scale is accurate? That would be my concern!
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    I have the same problem! I think the serving sizes take into account the liquid because mine says 4 servings and I always only end up with 3. I'm thinking the liquid doesn't have that many calories so I weigh out what the portion size is supposed to be and log the calories accordingly.

So for me a serving is supposed to be 53 grams and 70 calories, so I drain it, weigh out 53 grams of salmon, and log the 70 calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I have the same problem! I think the serving sizes take into account the liquid because mine says 4 servings and I always only end up with 3. I'm thinking the liquid doesn't have that many calories so I weigh out what the portion size is supposed to be and log the calories accordingly.

So for me a serving is supposed to be 53 grams and 70 calories, so I drain it, weigh out 53 grams of salmon, and log the 70 calories.

So then you'd be eating more than 70 cals...
    If the weight does include the liquid, you'd need to weigh the drained salmon and divide by 4 for the 70 cals.
  • BattyKnitter

So then you'd be eating more than 70 cals...
    If the weight does include the liquid, you'd need to weigh the drained salmon and divide by 4 for the 70 cals.

Hmmm you're right, I'll have to do that next time I open up a can.
  • BattyKnitter
    So I generally have 3 servings instead of 4 which makes the calories 93 per 53 grams serving instead of 70. (I'll do the proper math next time) I'm in a 500-700 cal a day deficit right now so I'm not going to worry about what I've already logged but it's good to know for when I reduce my deficit later on!