Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dessert Ideas (low/sugar free)

Most night my kids usually get a sweat treat after dinner, we are looking at trying to really lower our kids sugar intake. They are only 2 and 5 years. Lately I have been giving fresh strawberries, or chopped mango for dessert (instead of things like ice cream/jelly/chocolate) and they love it. So I am after any ideas for more healthy option desserts for kids, maybe even some baked warm desserts that are healthy (it is winter here).

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    If it's going to be sweet, it has to contain sugar or artificial sweetener. Are you sure you should make your kids always expect a sweet treat after dinner? Anyway, I have started making custard recently, and you can make it as sweet as you like, and serve it hot or cold: https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/home-made-custard1-L4433.html
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    If you want to lower their sugar intake, why not just limit the amount of dessert they eat? Perhaps save dessert for a weekend and enjoy whatever you like then (added sugar or not).

If they can't go without, what about stewed or baked apples (no added sugar) for something warm - you could add cinnamon, a few sultanas, chopped nuts.
    Grilled fruit - pineapple is great. Peaches when they're in season.
    Slices of banana or apple with nut butter or nuttvia (like nutella but made with stevia)