Before MFP I was in a huge calorie deficit?

Options
ArmouredMuscle
ArmouredMuscle Posts: 64 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Long post alert!

Ok, I've been using MFP for about 2 weeks now. My weight goal is set to maintain. I'm not doing any extra fitness or activity now than before I started tracking my food on MFP. I'm concerned that what I used to eat before MFP and my exercise levels I was in around a 1000 calorie deficit daily! (on average). I.e. I added up my meals and snacks I have on a regular basis at about 2500 cal which is fine for a light activity level. However, I'm burning about an extra 800-1400 cal a day through exercise, cycling to work and walking my dog. I've been at this routine for about 6 months, so my question is why am I not as skinny as paper (not that I want to be)?

Another MFP user pointed out that my set activity level takes into account my daily steps (generally), which were being added onto my TDEE. I've now set my activity level to sedentary but left the step count on to have a better accuracy on days where I do end up at a desk. That looks to shave about 300 cal off on inactive days. On active days my step count should make up the difference. I've checked my exercise recording and nothing has repeated. My steps on MFP are out by about 2000 steps so I do factor in to take off around 100 cal from the estimate. This sits me at 3500 cal total consumption needed a day. Taking what I usually consumed before using MFP (2500 cal). My past daily deficit was around 1000 cal a day! This could explain why I was ALWAYS hungry and often tired but I'm no skinny fella either, although I'm naturally an Ectomorph.

To the present day, I'm now eating back my TDEE calories to break even. I do feel a bit better and I'm not so hungry. I plan to leave it another 4 weeks to see whats going on with my body/weight. I've taken body measurements, tracking my weight and looking to get body fat calipers to track my lean muscle mass too. The future will be monitored but it does not explain the past.

P.s I use UA Record from my Samsung watch to track exercise and commutes, and my steps through the watch also via the Samsung S Health App. I keep them all up do date with my weight. As UA Record also takes my heart rate I'd like to think its withing a good estimation of accuracy.

Replies

• ArmouredMuscle
    Options
    How do you estimate an exercise burn of 800-1400 calories? It's a lot.
    Your weight will always reflect your calories in/calories out.

Through UA Record on my watch with HR and steps also through my watch. For example yesterday I burned 1409 cal, through steps, commuting on my bicycle, my hour long callisthenics session and about an hour walking my dog.

Granted I can take the 353 cal off from my steps as they are already taken into account through my set activity level. That still leaves 1056 cal.
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If you find out what caused it please let me know since i have had similar problem in the past.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    It's probably a combination of underestimating/undercounting the calories you are consuming and overestimating the amount of calories burned through exercise. I think that it's good that you set your MFP to sedentary, and then I'd probably search a few different sites to get various calculations of calorie burn. I'm not familiar with the Samsung platform, but know that my FitBit is really pretty accurate, so I'm not sure if it's the watch overestimating or what.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I believe UA Record to overestimate calories burned. I also have a Samsung watch. I noticed that when I record an activity (running or CrossFit) I will get a significantly different reading of calories burned. For example, if I record a CrossFit class using the built in Samsung health app, I burn on average 250-300 calories per class. Using the UA record app, it says I burn 450-550 calories per class. Pretty significant. Based on my own results, I find the Samsung health calorie burned to be much more accurate for me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I doubt you are burning that many calories through exercise. You are also probably eating more than you think.

^^ this
  • ArmouredMuscle
    Options
    I believe UA Record to overestimate calories burned. I also have a Samsung watch. I noticed that when I record an activity (running or CrossFit) I will get a significantly different reading of calories burned. For example, if I record a CrossFit class using the built in Samsung health app, I burn on average 250-300 calories per class. Using the UA record app, it says I burn 450-550 calories per class. Pretty significant. Based on my own results, I find the Samsung health calorie burned to be much more accurate for me.

I found the opposite with the s health. My 4 min dteady bike ride would come in at 80 cal with Samsung but with UA is 30. While Samsung said that 10 mins of balls out rowing , sweat dripping off me and struggling to breath was on 40 cal?!? Hence I now us UA.

I'm struggling to think my food is off as I'm weighing everything. Plus my daily meals are not any different now than before.

As for dog walking all I can think is that my steps are being tracked AND in tracking the walk specifically through UA so I'm doubling up there.

Even taking off the dog walks and allowing a factor of say, 200 cal for app exercise over estimation I was still 500-600 short a day
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    If you have both apps connected, then yes you can get duplicate entries.

If you weren't tracking for the last 6 months and are wondering why you didn't lose any weight, then either you were not burning as much as you thought you were eating more than you thought, or both. Without the data to back it up though, it is hard to say. And if you are saying you were always tired before, it is likely you weren't moving as much as you are now though you may not have noticed.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    You are either eating more than you think or burning less calories than you think. That's really the only explanation. CICO is what it's all about. I'm sure now that you are tracking more carefully you will see a change. I'd invest in a food scale if you want true measurement.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

Through UA Record on my watch with HR and steps also through my watch. For example yesterday I burned 1409 cal, through steps, commuting on my bicycle, my hour long callisthenics session and about an hour walking my dog.

Granted I can take the 353 cal off from my steps as they are already taken into account through my set activity level. That still leaves 1056 cal.

I don't know how to ask this gently... Are you considerably overweight? Because I ran yesterday + walking commute + daily living activities, and even I only managed to hit ~500 in intentional exercise. Even on half marathon race days, my intentional activity comes to only 1300.

Look at his profile picture. He's not even trying to loose weight. He says above he's trying to maintain. Actually he implies he is maintaining and has been for some time.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

I don't know how to ask this gently... Are you considerably overweight? Because I ran yesterday + walking commute + daily living activities, and even I only managed to hit ~500 in intentional exercise. Even on half marathon race days, my intentional activity comes to only 1300.

Look at his profile picture. He's not even trying to loose weight. He says above he's trying to maintain. Actually he implies he is maintaining and has been for some time.

Yup -- and that's why I'm side-eyeing that 1400 calorie burn from exercise.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I found the opposite with the s health. My 4 min dteady bike ride would come in at 80 cal with Samsung but with UA is 30. While Samsung said that 10 mins of balls out rowing , sweat dripping off me and struggling to breath was on 40 cal?!? Hence I now us UA.

I'm struggling to think my food is off as I'm weighing everything. Plus my daily meals are not any different now than before.

As for dog walking all I can think is that my steps are being tracked AND in tracking the walk specifically through UA so I'm doubling up there.

Even taking off the dog walks and allowing a factor of say, 200 cal for app exercise over estimation I was still 500-600 short a day

Are you sure you are using accurate database entries? Some are extremely off.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate logging probably
  • ArmouredMuscle
    Options

Are you sure you are using accurate database entries? Some are extremely off.

I checked a couple of the food entry stats against that on the packet and they were ok. Though I've not checked every packet as the few I did check were correct.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin, but it grossly overestimated the calories burned from non-exercise steps. By a lot. I invite their calculation and use weight * miles * .325 (I’ve seen .3 and .35 so I went for the happy medium.) it’s one of the reasons my diary is private; at the end of the day, because of all the steps calories, plus other exercise (I get at least 10,000 a day and log intentional exercise) my net looks ridiculously low and people commented).

I’ve noticed it’s more off when I get more steps earlier in the day. And the calories burned through exercise seem spot on as I lost a lot and have been maintaining for a few years. So, I’m obviously not with a negative net at the end of the day.

I do like keeping everything connected, so use mentally figure out my actual deficit using the formula plus my exercise calories.