Blisters: skip last pre-race training run?

Options
Panini911
Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Not sure how many runners are out there who can help - i haven't yet found a good running online community.

First 10km race is Saturday night. Woke up with a blister that was sore to walk on Wednesday morning but barely felt it by end of day. Thursday it hurt quite a bit (though always better by end of day). Friday (today) it feels better. I feel it but no pain. It isn't huge, barely noticeable bubble (wasn't even sure it was a blister at first).

Last long run was Sunday.
Tuesday I did a 5k
Wed race pace 3k (didn't feel the blister at all)
Thursday was rest day. I eve scaled back my walking.

My plan was to run an easy run (maybe 4k? slow?) today (Friday) to stretch my legs before tomorrow's night race. Should I let my foot rest in hopes the blister continues to dissapear?

Or should I slap on some mole skin and thicker socks and do a 3-4k easy run? I really WANT to feel. but I feel my head knows the best option is to skip today's run (not just to be in better shape for race, but for getting back to running schedule next week as I have more races coming up)

Note - i've been doing a 10 week training program for the race. I don't even think it was highly recommended by the course to run today.

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    My two cents: Your fitness is not going to improve for tomorrow's race by doing a run today. As far as stretching your legs for tomorrow's race, I would do that by performing a dynamic warm up series right before running the race. The warm up could even include a few easy 200yd striders to help loosen the muscles and get blood flowing so your body is ready to go when the gun goes off.

Good luck.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    My coach calls for a 15 minute easy run the day before a race, maybe just a short shake-out like that if you really feel you want to run. But agreed with the above that it won't make a difference and resting would be fine to take care of your blisters.

Also, we have a great running group in the challenge section that has a monthly thread. Join in!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10685375/august-2018-running-challenge
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My concern would be to see how the blister felt in my running shoes. I'd maybe do half a mile just to test that out, and get some blister plasters sorted.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    My concern would be to see how the blister felt in my running shoes. I'd maybe do half a mile just to test that out, and get some blister plasters sorted.

this is where i am leaning. I need to move (at least walk) so i'll dress for a run and I am going to try the moleskin i bought. Keeping pace short and distance short (I sorta like the 15 minute idea above). it's actually been feeling great (meaning I barely feel it most of the time) today. so clearly rest is good and if I am careful i won't cause any further irritation.
    My coach calls for a 15 minute easy run the day before a race, maybe just a short shake-out like that if you really feel you want to run. But agreed with the above that it won't make a difference and resting would be fine to take care of your blisters.

Also, we have a great running group in the challenge section that has a monthly thread. Join in!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10685375/august-2018-running-challenge

I joined! but I don't think i'll be hitting my august goal (I think 115km?) with the cool down period before the race. If this blister is gone and I can do some more long runs I might still make it...

In 6 weeks I have a 5+10km race I need to build up to! (you run the 5km race then do the 10km race right after).