Rusty bb and plates

Options
I'm really happy
I got an Olympic bb, curl bar, and a bunch of plates for cheap.. But they are rusty... Gonna do what Google search says to on how to clean but if anyone has personal experience on getting rust off I'd love to hear.

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    There are a multitude of commercially available rust removers. You could try CLR - but if the rust is thick and caked I'd use a wire brush to remove any large chunks or scales first. Once you have it removed you are going to want to keep it dry and you might want to use a rust protector. Once something has rusted it tends to rust again a bit faster than virgin metal.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you... I've been out there scrubbing and they will never be pretty!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Thank you... I've been out there scrubbing and they will never be pretty!

They will have "character" and that's sometimes more important than being pretty... it's what I tell myself all the time. ;)
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Look for a rust converter, POR-15 is one example.
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    Thank you. I will look into it...I scrubbed and scrubbed yesterday...a lot came off but they are all old and I think sitting in a damp garage for decades... But they were almost free so I'm happy as long as the Olympic bar is not going to break on me!
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Cola, works way better then clr in my experience 😂
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    get some Ospho - works great - I use it a lot - spray it on - come back the next day - it will leave a black coating that will serve as a primer if you want to paint it - or leave it as is -you might have to wire brush some loose stuff off when it is done
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    That's how I got most of my stuff - used - cheap -
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Mine is rusty too. DH had the set in high school and it's been in a shed for the past 10+ years. He scrubbed it down before we started using it and got the bulk of it off, but there is still a bit of rust left. It leaves fine rust on my gloves and makes the weights harder to get on and off the ends. We plan to clean it up better in the future, but they are passable now. Weight is weight.
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    I cleaned it the best I could for now.. Not leaving marks on my carpet at least :) and my teen kids are using it!!!!!