Low sodium soups?

Options
Is anyone aware of any good low sodium soups? I love soup, but never realized until now just how much salt are in them!

Replies

• lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You’re best bet is to make your own. Crockpot is great for this.

A staple I have is chicken stock (either make my own or shop labels for low sodium no sugar), 2 rotisserie chicken breasts, frozen sliced carrots and diced celery plus some seasoning. Easy, tasty.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I add lots of veggies. That way, you can spread the sodium over more servings and still get the nice soup flavor.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Unless you are hypertensive and/or eating multiple cans of soup per day, you are probably fine with the amount of sodium contained therein.

That said, I have before bought low sodium soups by accident and they are terrible. Like PP stated, you are much better making your own where you can add salt and seasonings to your own comfort level.

Stock is so easy to make, just water and bones. I keep a ziplock bag in freezer for each kind of bone (fish, beef, pork, chicken) and just add to it whenever I have bones. Once the bag is full I make my stock with just bones, water, and salt. Boil and reduce to a simmer. Just a an hour or so for fish, 2 hours for chicken and/or pork, and 12-24 hours for beef. Great for making soups and stews and gravies, and way better for you than the store bought stuff.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,561 Member
    Options
    Make your own. But I guess that unless you have medical conditions that require you to restrict salt there's not really a reason to go low salt. Think of all that delicious food in Asia, with masses of lovely soy sauce, fish sauce or other salty things. (Now I'm thinking: I need to cook chicken adobo!)
  • Mrshamblen
    Mrshamblen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • chrysfer
    chrysfer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the Progresso lighter choices. Their choices are regular, Light and Heart Healthy.