Meal replacement drinks

Options
What is your experience with them?
I am not looking for the powder, I am looking for the premade grab and go ones.

I'm looking into getting some meal replacement drinks to help incorporate some better nutrients into my body. I have a condition that makes prepping food very difficult and in the morning it is difficult to become motivated to go through the physical pain to feed myself so I tend to put it off. Even something like making shakes is quite difficult for me in my own blender and the prospect of the cleanup and how difficult it is for me to clean those cups make it less likely I am going to use it. So I want to replace the nothing or have a bagel each morning with something better. I figure getting something like this will be a good thing to incorporate every couple of days - not live off it of course and still have other meals as I normally do. Just a better breakfast option. I've looked at guidelines for nutrients
At least 15 grams of protein per serving
At least 3 grams of fiber per serving
Less than 10 grams of sugar per serving
No corn syrup
No hydrogenated vegetable oils
At least 33% of the Daily Value for vitamins and minerals

Any brands or suggestions within these (maybe) that work for you?

Thanks for your time and comments!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How much pain are we talking here, and is it really physical, not mental? I find that I can postpone breakfast "indefinetely", probably because I'm rested after sleeping, and not starving because I eat well every day. Sometimes I have to "force" myself to eat. But when I start eating, or start preparing breakfast, my appetite awakens. I keep my meals simple. What prepping are you doing?

For better nutrients, nothing will ever beat "food, combined into delicious and balanced meals".
  • Karliemyalgia
    Karliemyalgia Posts: 146 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes it is, it's for my diagnosed medical condition chronic myofasical inflammation it becomes very difficult for me to move my fingers and it's quite frankly. I've done enough push, pushing myself through pain to live every moment of my life, it's nice to have some convenience for relief. Sometimes I hate having to explain it to not find what I am looking for so pardon my small response.
    take care.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Have you used shakes before? I honestly don't find them to be a good replacement for a meal. They are usually too low cal, and I find I need to chew to really feel satiated. I typically buy ready made shakes whenever I get a coupon for them and use them as an easy snack, not a meal. I really don't care about anything other than calories and protein, so I've never looked at your other criteria and can't really help you there.

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but you're probably just gong to have to start reading labels and trying them for yourself. Some people do seem to find they work as a meal replacement, and taste will be very subjective.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Can you buy bread cut in slices, put precut cheese or deli meat on them? That sounds like the easiest way to get a breakfast. if you want fat with your sandwich then maybe have very soft butter (doesn't need to be stored in a fridge), or if that's too difficult spray oil? There's also not much tidying up afterwards. Think of what might be easy for you.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    How much pain are we talking here, and is it really physical, not mental? I find that I can postpone breakfast "indefinetely", probably because I'm rested after sleeping, and not starving because I eat well every day. Sometimes I have to "force" myself to eat. But when I start eating, or start preparing breakfast, my appetite awakens. I keep my meals simple. What prepping are you doing?

For better nutrients, nothing will ever beat "food, combined into delicious and balanced meals".

Simple can be the best... my advice, for what it is worth. Make your own meal replacements, if you need to drink your nutrition. Cheaper in the long run and you decide what you want in it.
  • unicornpickles
    unicornpickles Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Orgain has a few different varieties that aren’t to bad. The calories are pretty different for the types , some are 140-250. The fiber may be a bit low tho. I used the orgain superfoods powder to help with that but it doesn’t come in a box it’s the powder unfortunately you have to at least stir or shake it up .My husband liked the orgain whey protein chocolate drink in the box the best. He doesn’t normally drink this type of stuff so that’s a great review for it. Best wishes for your medical issues.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that drink Premier Protein. They have pre-made shakes in individual cartons. They’re a protein shake, not meal replacement, so you’d want to pair it with something else.

I hear you on cleanup being daunting - things like lean cuisine (and other microwave meals) and frozen, steam-in-bag veggies could be good options for you, too.

~Lyssa
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    They gave me a high protein "meal repalcement" type drink with every meal when I was in the hospital, as I was very ill and actually was suffering from malnutrition on top of everything else. The best and tastiest ones had a fruit juice base, rather than the usual chocolate milkshake flavor. Boost makes them in Orange, Peach and Wild Berry flavors. Check with your doctor, of course, but even WalMart's Equate brand of "SlimFast" would keep me from being hungry for four hours. And they all taste much better seved very cold.
  • randomusername5
    randomusername5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of Garden of Life Raw Meal Replacement or whatever. I think it's pretty effective at curbing hunger, but it tastes so good (to me) that I am consuming it almost exclusively, and often excessively. I've _gained_ weight and spent a lot of money.

My advice is to find a meal replacement that doesn't taste very good!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    why does it have to be a drink and not something that you just pop in the microwave? frozen meals? leftovers from the night before? lots of food options that don't require any "meal prep" work.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a meal delivery service might be a serviceable solution.

I never feel full if I drink my meals.
  • nikkicogs2016
    nikkicogs2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make my own smoothie type the night before might be an option if your joints are less painful later in the day once youve got going? I use almond milk, 0% greek yoghurt, protein shake and frozen pre prepared fruit or fresh, sometimes spinach. You can add oats in too. Play around see what you like. Next morning i grab and go to work. I store them in protein shakers so i can give them a quick shake.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i refuse to drink my calories
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be a drink? You might take a look at the nutrition in quest bars, or other similar bars
    I generally eat one for breakfast, they have ~20g protein and a lot of fiber.
  • TheFutureMrsLewis
    TheFutureMrsLewis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have a good answer for you. At times I'll drink slimfast with 20g of protein, but that has oil in it, so that wouldn't be what you want. I'm not an expert on nutrition or products, but perhaps you could try a few different kinds and see what you like. I had to go through a few "yucks" before I settled on something that kept me full for 2-3 hours, but I didn't drink it alone, I also ate fruits and/or egg substitute with veggies scrambled in.

On a separate note (which you didn't ask for, I realize) have you looked into herbal remedies for your pain? If so, forget my question. If not, it wouldn't hurt. Do some research and you can buy everything online (Amazon is my preferred choice). Let the herbs sit in glycerin or, preferably, 80 proof alcohol like Vodka. It'll take 2-6 weeks, the longer the better. Herbs really do have many remedies and you may find something that gives you some relief, with trial and error. But I am not a doctor and am not giving medical advice! :smile:

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've looked around for meal replacement shakes namely for those days that I won't be able to eat a proper breakfast because I have a meeting or something at work first thing (I eat breaky at work at my desk). Most of the pre-made ones I've come across seem to be pretty low quality and most contain quite a hefty load of sugar. I found better nutritional profiles with some of the powders.

I tried 310 shakes which would fit closely with your nutritional desires, but it is a powder. It's also only 90 calories, so a serving doesn't really make for a true meal replacement calorie wise, but it was ok in a pinch...and usually those meetings involve a substantial lunch afterwards.
  • smurph1968
    smurph1968 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I eat overnight oats, premier protein shakes or an atkins bar for breakfasts because it's convenient at work. Don't know if these contain some of the stuff you listed, though.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they fit your requirements but you could do a protein shake (one that's already mixed and everything, premier protein maybe?) and then one of those naked or bolthouse farms fruit drinks. I don't know how healthy they are but I imagine they probably have a lot of nutrients lol. You can also take a multivitamin.
  • cassie2008
    cassie2008 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was drinking meal replacement shakes and my face broke out so I stopped it and not it clearing up never again will I drink that or take any of there pills.