How much protein per day for reducing body fat

Currently my nutritions are 45,30,25 with 141g of protein on non-workout days. That being said, the amount of protein per day for building muscle is 1 multiply by weight, I'm at 57kg, so does that mean I'm only allowed 57kg of protein a day? Is that correct? It seems too little.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2018
    You are posting in the gaining weight/bodybuilding section, but your thread title is about reducing body fat.

What is your goal?

What are your stats? 57kg may be a completely healthy weight for you. Most protein recommendations are 0.8g per Lb of goal weight. You can eat more if you like...

Your total calorie intake will be most important in achieving whatever goals you have. If you're in a deficit, eating sufficient protein and following a progressive lifting program as you diet will help you maintain muscle.
  • zxlan1993
    zxlan1993 Posts: 13 Member
    Bodybuilding while reducing body fat, sorry I didn't specify. I'm at 169cm and 57kg, I was thinking of changing up my nutrients to 40,35,25 but I'm not sure if it's a good idea, coz it's way over the dri
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    zxlan1993 wrote: »
    Bodybuilding while reducing body fat, sorry I didn't specify. I'm at 169cm and 57kg, I was thinking of changing up my nutrients to 40,35,25 but I'm not sure if it's a good idea, coz it's way over the dri

You need to look into recomp - there are plenty of threads on the forum outlining what this involves, but it's basically eating at maintenance whilst following a progressive lifting program. You'll very slowly lose fat as you very slowly gain muscle without a change in weight.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited August 2018
    When I am cutting, I usually stick with 1g of protein per lbs of body weight. You might get away with 0,8g on a cut, but I prefer 1g per lbs just to be on the safe side.

So in your case, I'd stick with 125g of protein.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    You should be getting 1.5-2g of protein for every kg of weight if you are bodybuilding or powerlifting. So that’s 86-114g per day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Generally speaking for optimal results one would eat slightly more than 1g per lb of body weight with resistance training at the proper useful volume to help retain muscle while losing fat.

Things such as age, health, quality of protien, how male you are would be factors that can change the ratio amount.