Help! Advice needed!!

Options
PB4Lyfe
PB4Lyfe Posts: 28 Member
I’m nutting out the calories in a delicious sounding massaman curry... what’s the difference between the coconut milk that comes in a can in the Asian food section and the coconut milk that sits alongside the cartons of soy and rice milks? I note that the calorie content is vastly different, has anyone tried using the carton version instead of the canned?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    PB4Lyfe wrote: »
    I’m nutting out the calories in a delicious sounding massaman curry... what’s the difference between the coconut milk that comes in a can in the Asian food section and the coconut milk that sits alongside the cartons of soy and rice milks? I note that the calorie content is vastly different, has anyone tried using the carton version instead of the canned?

The carton is more liquidy (like milk) AFAIK, but the can is a bit thicker. I'd go for the can if I was making curry.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    The milk in the can is available in a light version, it tastes just as good.
    https://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/coconut-milk-basics
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    The stuff in the cans contain both coconut milk and coconut cream. if you let the cans sit for a day undisturbed you can skim off the cream after opening and use to make vegan whipped cream.