Help with measurement

Options
Trying to add this steak to my fitness pal. How many ounces is this? The barcode scans 4. Lol its 16oz correct? + a little extraa0hr68ukkn7y.jpg

Replies

• knap_123
    knap_123 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Blurry pic, its 1.250 net weight
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can't read it, sorry!

Can't you just put the meat on your food scales?
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You're a mess lol. It says right on the package 1.25 lbs.
  • mdtaylor2274
    mdtaylor2274 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm getting 20 oz for the 1.25lbs.

Try to get a scale and a unit converter. Here's what I use and it's free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.physphil.android.unitconverterultimate
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Scanning things like this where they're weighed out for you won't do anything, as the barcode constantly changes. Just search for "sirloin steak USDA" and enter in 20 ounces.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    The problem with meat is each store can make a bar code for the cut of meat and reuse it. The deli, meat, and seafood departments get a generic bar code, for example a prime rib's bar code will let the register know it is prime rib, and the price. This bar code will probably get reused if the price matches another package. However, store items might be interchangeable. Wegman's might have a produce item that shows up as seafood at your store. It is best not to use the bar code but search for the item "prime rib", weigh the item (you DO have a food scale, correct? I am sure you do) and then enter the weight.

Do not scan the bar codes on store brand meat, seafood, it might be off. I have had good luck with deli items but it will have a different store's name on the listing.
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's the "+ a little extra..." that'll get you every
    time...
    As
    1.25 lbs= 20 oz
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The bar code is not telling you the weight of the whole steak, it's giving you a suggested serving size. The barcodes only find the item or a similar item in the database. You need to weigh out your portion and enter that in yourself. The bar code can't tell how much of the steak you're going to eat!