Why friend request?

Options
Just a thought I had.....do you request people as friends because you feel a connection or "like minds" kind of thing....or...
Do people collect friends as a game as who has more vs another? Just thinking

Replies

• LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I think it's because you can see their diary, that's mostly it.
  • William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It helps with support. Yes there are friend collectors who are easy to spot
    . Never comment or like your posts is pretty quick way to notice them
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Some people keep their diaries closed, and others have it open so everyone (even non-friends) can see it
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Some people keep their diaries closed, and others have it open so everyone (even non-friends) can see it

Some yes. But most have it open for their friends.
  • HannahLeigh90
    HannahLeigh90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm ashamed of the crap I eat, I would never have my diary open. Lol
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I friend request folks that share common interests with me.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When I first rejoined, I wanted to quickly add friends because I enjoy the support and interaction. Of knowing I’m in it together with like minded people.

After that, it was if we had something in common. I also add anyone who makes a request. I don’t have my diary open to anyone, as I don’t see it as necessary.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Candyspun wrote: »
    When I first rejoined, I wanted to quickly add friends because I enjoy the support and interaction. Of knowing I’m in it together with like minded people.

After that, it was if we had something in common. I also add anyone who makes a request. I don’t have my diary open to anyone, as I don’t see it as necessary.
    This, besides the diary bit. Mine is open.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Most of my friend requests have come from geek threads or like-minded, don't really give a *kitten* about clean eating or any type of 'named' diet followers. When I stay out of Chit-Chat and don't use a real pic, I don't get very many anyway.

My diary is closed to everyone except me. I've never understood the whole 'look at other people's food to decide what to eat' thing. I eat what I like. That doesn't mean anyone else will like it. They should eat what they like.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I don't do friends on here. I don't see the purpose in having "friends" but that's just me. I have 2 friends and they are my sister and my real-life best friend (who doesn't even use mfp anymore that I can tell) I always decline friend requests, no offense to any of them.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I like to learn. I have met some people on here that are light years ahead of me. Those are the people i usually friend. If I notice someone has not logged on for a while I 76 them.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I’ve been here logging all my food for 6 1/2 years. Like in real life, my MFP FL is a hodgepodge of people ranging from acquaintances to close friends I would fly across the country to visit. Most of my active friends share something in common with me (a particular interest-be it just a life interest or fitness pursuit), some are just funny or fun to be around. Many have been with me for a long time and have been a support for me during some extremely challenging times in the last few years. We talk, we joke, we share life things, we talk about training, we talk about food. Just like my real life friends (who generally really don’t care about training at all).

I think I’ve looked at someone else’s diary maybe 5 times ever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My friend requests were primarily common interest...particularly fitness. I don't really do them anymore because I'm a pretty crappy friend and I'm not particularly active on my feed.
  • intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I add friends because it's nice to have people (even if I don't really know them) cheering me on to reach my goals. It's a two-way street. The more I encourage others, the more encouragement I get back. Sometimes that's a big difference to me, especially on days where motivation is low.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I friend people I've communicated with on the boards if I think they're like-minded people, because I like seeing everyone's updates.
    I get friend requests from a lot of random (often shirtless) males I've never communicated with, and who don't include a message. I think I can guess what that's about, but I don't accept their requests to find out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Most people just seem to like to have a massive friend list and never comment on anything...
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    lots of reasons...sharing the junk we are trying to get through, sharing the good days, making each other laugh, being inspired...those are a few for me.