Would eating more help?

Options
2»

Replies

• BlueFlameLotus
    BlueFlameLotus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. It seems to be a consensus on your replies. Eating less. A scale will be helpful albeit not as convenient as measuring cups and spoons. Almond butter is a sneaky culprit for sure. For me it seems patience is the name of the game because all of a sudden it’s working. I think I hit a plateau that I needed to break and my frustration led me to asking here. I could’ve just hung in a day or two more because the melt is on. From one day to the next. Notable. I feel fit and back on track and confident I’ll reach my goal. Just needed the scale to budge in the right direction. For me it’s actually far more important to feel strong firm and flexible than to pay attention to the scale that much. One things for sure though, these last two years of inactivity and carbing out taught me a lot about my body image, how easy it is to add inches and fall out of fitness. Not going there again.
  • BlueFlameLotus
    Options
    Just curious if any of you above use any HRV monitors to track your exercise? It sounds like some of you type in how many minutes you work out into a standard database. When I do that it’s often off by many calories sometimes more sometimes less. I don’t find the database accurate enough to rely on. I have found in clinical research that chest straps are most accurate, so I wear both. For the runner who runs 10k and doesn’t think they burn 500, it would be interesting to actually check that number with a monitor.
  • BlueFlameLotus
    Options
    What is the most reliable method in your opinion?
    The reason I chose the polar chest strap was because of the comparative research on accuracy that was done within a sports science lab.

Because everyone is different I just don’t think the standard data bases are a reliable number either. In regards to people eating back calories they think they’ve burned, which is clearly not a good idea, it may be better to lean towards a lower number estimate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What is the most reliable method in your opinion?
    The reason I chose the polar chest strap was because of the comparative research on accuracy that was done within a sports science lab.

Because everyone is different I just don’t think the standard data bases are a reliable number either. In regards to people eating back calories they think they’ve burned, which is clearly not a good idea, it may be better to lean towards a lower number estimate.

Depends entirely on your exercise what method is best.
    My main sports are cycling (I use power to estimate calories) and strength training (a HRM would be useless and exaggerated) and the database entry is modest and perfectly usable.
    If I was a runner I would use the formula above.

Eating back exercise calories is entirely sensible, I would be desperately skinny and have awful exercise performance if I didn't!
    It's better to pick the right tool(s) for the job rather than trust either the database or a device that counts heartbeats.

How did the study validate that the Polar was accurate for calories?
    For what demographic?
    For what particular exercise?
    Which Polar from their range?

Personal experience: My Polar FT7 was far too generous, my FT60 took a lot of experimentation and adjusting settings to become accurate for steady state cardio but was hopeless for interval work (25% over even when calibrated).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. It seems to be a consensus on your replies. Eating less. A scale will be helpful albeit not as convenient as measuring cups and spoons. Almond butter is a sneaky culprit for sure. For me it seems patience is the name of the game because all of a sudden it’s working. I think I hit a plateau that I needed to break and my frustration led me to asking here. I could’ve just hung in a day or two more because the melt is on. From one day to the next. Notable. I feel fit and back on track and confident I’ll reach my goal. Just needed the scale to budge in the right direction. For me it’s actually far more important to feel strong firm and flexible than to pay attention to the scale that much. One things for sure though, these last two years of inactivity and carbing out taught me a lot about my body image, how easy it is to add inches and fall out of fitness. Not going there again.
    yirara wrote: »
    Actually, a scale is more convenient that cups and spoons! Say you make a marinade: you put the bowl on the scale, tar, put first ingredient in and note weight and go on like this, either with a tar inbetween or not. With spoons and cups you end up washing them in the end. Saves you the cleaning. And if you use something sticky you have to wash the cups inbetween.

@BlueFlameLotus for the reasons above, I think that you will find a scale to be more convenient once you get used to using it.

However, brace yourself for being sad about the almond butter :'(
  • BlueFlameLotus
    Options
    Hey everyone, after a few years of trying to figure this out, this has been the most insightful information yet. For women bio hackers, you may want to understand the infradian rhythm, and why intermittent fasting and HIT may have the opposite effect on the body. If done consistently and at the wrong times in the month. This nails my personal observations. I do however appreciate all the dietary advice you all have given. It’s just so much more than that.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkLnBpcHBhLmlvL3B1YmxpYy9zaG93cy81YWVmN2RhOTZlYjQ3Y2MyNTk5NDZiZTc=&episode=NjBjY2ExNTkyODdmZDUwMDEzZjA5NjFm