school me on quinoa, please

Options
kopacat
kopacat Posts: 4 Member
I'm late to this game so is there a certain brand/type/etc to use? Tips on cooking or preparing, especially for families and picky kids? The recipes are popping up and it looks like a great and different option for my house! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to remember is to RINSE the quinoa before cooking! It has a naturally occurring bitter coating that will really turn you off to quinoa if you don't rinse it. I don't care if you bought the "pre-rinsed" boxed kind...rinse it again! I found the easiest way to rinse it is using 2 mesh strainers together. If you just use 1, the little seeds fall through. You can also use cheesecloth if you have it.

Quinoa is excellent both hot and cold, too! Once you try it, you'll be hooked!
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There are some great resources all over the net.
    And I hate a be a snarky *kitten*, but I'm going just going to leave this here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Quinoa+recipes
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Benefits+of+quinoa

(I do this only because there are a lot of places out there that I think can give you a more comprehensive outlook on quinoa than these messageboards can offer.)
  • Willoughby18
    Willoughby18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Haha, love the link!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    There are some great resources all over the net.
    And I hate a be a snarky *kitten*, but I'm going just going to leave this here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Quinoa+recipes
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Benefits+of+quinoa

(I do this only because there are a lot of places out there that I think can give you a more comprehensive outlook on quinoa than these messageboards can offer.)

OMG! I love that and am so stealing it!
  • Amor
    Amor Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Firstly, it's not a grain lol.

I haven't found one brand I like over another, however some people prefer white quinoa over others. Also, I agree with a lot of what's posted here, rinse or buy pre-rinsed quinoa. I also like to toast mine, putting it in a large skillet on medium heat & stirring often. I'm allergic to nuts, but oddly enough I really like how quinoa smells and tastes when it's toasted.

For your kids, you can make the quinoa with organic low sodium veggie stock instead of water. It's sooooo good! My sister's also super picky, you'd think she was 6 instead of in her 20s... Anyway, she likes it when I make it with stock.

Pinterest as a million recipes, check some out. I made a fried rice recipe with quinoa, it's on my blog if you wanna try it.

Good luck!
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I first found a pre-packaged microwavable bowl of quinoa and tried that. Once I realized I did like it, I bought the big bag from Costco. I usually do the stove prep of 1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid and cook like rice. I make a batch up and eat it over a few meals.

I did recently figure out how to microwave it so I don't have to turn on my stove. To make two servings: 1/2 c quinoa, 1 1/2 cups water/broth in a micro safe bowl thats big enough to allow for expansion and the water to boil up. Cover and seal with one spot open for steam. Micro for 5 mins on 100%, then 8 minutes on 60%. Uncover and let sit for a few more minutes. The amount of water could vary but I found that the 1:2 ratio for the stove didn't work in the microwave.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    To me, quinoa is kind of like sugar...its not the packaging or the brand its the stuff itself. I'm not particular to any brand either, but the one I am able to find most readily is the turquoise box by Ancient Harvest.

My tips are much like everyone elses:
    1. Rinse, rinse, rinse before cooking
    2. Season the water or use a good stock
    3. Use much like you would rice or couscous
    4. Try it both hot and cold

I also like the quinoa/corn pasta by Ancient Grains, FWIW.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    1 parts quinoa to 2 parts liquid.

Cook it like rice.

If you are in the mood for something sweet try it with small apple slices and/or blueberries with a dash of maple syrup or honey, and cinnamon. Yummm Yum.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Also this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/quinoa-tabouli-140618

And as far as brands I've tried the Bob's Red Mill and 365 Organic brand and those are good. Also a lot of stores have it in the bulk department and that has always worked out for me.

Oh and like others have said be sure to rinse it first. Just put it in a bowl and add water and swish it around, drain it with your hand and repeat until water runs clear.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I like the bitter earthiness of unrinsed, honestly