Throwing in the towel

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale and be religious about weighing your food. No eyeballing anything. I thought I was being good but after getting the food scale and getting real about what I was eating, I realized I had been severely underestimating my portions. Keep going, you will see the scale go down eventually.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale and be religious about weighing your food. No eyeballing anything. I thought I was being good but after getting the food scale and getting real about what I was eating, I realized I had been severely underestimating my portions. Keep going, you will see the scale go down eventually.

This.
  • ireallylikeyourface1989
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have struggled with my weight from a very young age. I suffer from a binge eating disorder and as a result, I've gained almost 5 pounds this week, which means that the 2.8 pounds that I had lost last week was all for naught. I could really use some encouragement as I feel like throwing in the towel myself.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,336 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and give up. What's there to gain by being a quitter? NOTHING!!! First off, you, and only you, have to set your mind to it. Two years ago, I said "I'm done being this heavy". I have not regretted a single day. I had lost 80 lbs. I've had my gains (now up 20 lbs), but I'm not quitting because I want to feel good, to be able to move, to be able to say I did it on my own will. I'm still at a 60 lb loss but I would not be here if I had given up.

Having other members to talk to and get advice is important to me. Having an open diary is important to me. I could not get advice from them if they don't know how and what I eat. I don't restrict my food. Anything goes but I make it fit in my calorie goal. I don't do fad diets because that's not how I will eat the rest of my life.

For me, it's all about mind set. If my goals are not constantly on my mind, then I will fail. That's just how I am.

You can do this if you have your priorities in place. You just have to decide what those priorities are. Open up your diary and get your friends onboard who will genuinely help you.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,336 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have struggled with my weight from a very young age. I suffer from a binge eating disorder and as a result, I've gained almost 5 pounds this week, which means that the 2.8 pounds that I had lost last week was all for naught. I could really use some encouragement as I feel like throwing in the towel myself.

You know you have the ability to lose the weight. You did it. Don't look at it as "all for naught". If you hadn't lost the 2.8 lbs, you would now be up almost 8 lbs. Seek professional help for your eating disorder and things will fall in place. It may take you a little longer, but have patience.
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    We've all done it. Lose an amount then stop, either because we're fed up of logging or some think they've got to where they want to be and that's the end. Sadly it's not and it's more that it's all been throught about wrongly. It's not a short term thing. It's long term and though it's seriously hard sometimes to get the weight off either due to mistakes ,lack of will power or health it's really is keeping it off that is the hardest part. That length of time is much longer than the time getting the weight off.
    You sound like you need to refresh your thinking and write down on paper how you plan to go about things. Set yourself miles a month or steps to meet.
    I've had to change the ways I go about losing weight as I've got older over the years.
    Weighing food and drinking enough water is definitely 2 things that you have to do to know you're tracking your food. Also be careful that your exercise calories are right too.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I am not good at motivation, but here is my best shot.
    https://youtu.be/V8lT1o0sDwI
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    One thing you have to remember is that you're not "special" (I don't mean that in a mean way) Calorie counting works for everyone here, there is no special reason it will not work for you. As long as you are consistent, and honest, you will lose weight. Check out the success story forum. All those people lost weight, and some A LOT of it, all by counting their calories, in and out. Get a food scale, log your food accurately. You should still exercise as it has a lot of health benefits besides just burning calories. Find something you enjoy doing. Think of it as a lifestyle change, not just weight loss. You want to be healthy and happy long-term, for the rest of your life.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I really feel like throwing in the towel. I have fluctuated with my weight for years. I would hit my target weight then stop what i was doing and gain it back.

However, any time I wanted to lose I lost...until now. I have been back on the program for 6 weeks and only just 6 ounces. I don't know what I am doing wrong or what to do. It is so disheartening. I was going to go to the gym today but feel like what is the point. It is nearly impossible to stay motivated with little to no progress.

I feel the cloud of depression overtaking me and just don't care. Sorry for such negative post

Others have addressed the issues of accuracy & patience, so I will skip that.

But there are 2 other aspects of your post that I have keyed in on. "I would hit my target weight then stop what I was doing and gain it back." One of the best pieces of advice I've ever seen on this site is "Don't do anything to lose the weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life". This would include things like a very low calorie diet, cutting out entire food groups, insisting on only "healthy" foods, or an exercise regimen that you don't enjoy. You may just mean that, like many of us, over time you have become less diligent and allowed bad habits to creep back up, but if it's more the first issue, you might want to give attention to how you approach your weight loss.

The second thing is "I feel the cloud of depression overtaking me and just don't care". Do you, or might you, suffer from actual clinical depression? This has been the biggest hindrance to my weight loss/maintenance over the years. I know how to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable, enjoyable way and have done so successfully over the years. But when I go through depressed periods, I often can't bring myself to care about my choices. Overall, I weigh 50 lbs less than I did 10 years ago, but have successfully lost much more than that, and have sadly regained at times. I try to fully commit myself when I can, and minimize the damage when I can't, but it's a hard struggle. If you think this may be an issue, addressing the depression, in whatever ways you are comfortable with, is really key.