Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lks802 wrote: »
    lks802 wrote: »
    I disagree that you should ignore your sodium intake. If you are choosing to eat a healthy lifestyle, then being mindful of it is important. Sodium intake at high levels isn’t healthy at all, especially over long term.

Eating frozen foods will automatically cause you to consume higher sodium levels. Any processed food will. The closer you eat to Whole Foods and prepare them yourself, you will find sodium levels for daily intake become a non-issue.

Use the fact that you are exceeding recommended daily sodium intake as a red flag to take inventory on food choices. Eating prepackaged foods may be what helps you start your journey...but is that really a long term lifestyle change? It’s ok to do what steps work to get started and improve along the way. But to disregard and ignore, not a long term healthful choice.

Nobody told OP to ignore their sodium intake. Some people shared that they personally didn't limit their sodium, but we don't know what health considerations OP may have to drive a decision to limit sodium. Likewise, you don't know the health situation of someone who doesn't limit sodium, so to conclude they're not healthy on that single data point would be silly.

And where did I say it was a single data point to conclude someone isn’t healthy? Where did I conclude OP is unhealthy? Being mindful of sodium intake is absolutely a part of healthy eating, one part of it.

There’s no fact dispute that too much sodium intake is unhealthy, especially over long term. OP noticed her intake is high, and was concerned. It’s absolutely an indicator that total food choices should be re-evaluated if she’s consistently noticing high intake.

"Sodium intake at high levels isn’t healthy at all."

"Too much" of anything is unhealthy for us, even too much water. But there is no indication that the definition of "too much" begins when one consumes anything more than 2,300 mg per day.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Odd. my post states it may not be an issue for someone right now but IT COULD BECOME ONE OVER THE YEARS TO COME. I was not overly focusing on just blood pressure by the way. Known fact high sodium intake for some people can and does lead to Protein in the Urine. some people retain sodium water I am sure there are studies on this as well. (I currently have my dominant arm in a cast from fingers to below shoulder, so not doing research on this right now) Which by the way is real and leads to Kidney disease and can happen to people who are not diabetics. Oh my info came from Harvard and Mayo Clinic and the Drs I see. I did review the links, it is interesting by the way.

If you feel like providing documentation for your claims when your arm is better, I'd be interested in reading it.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I used to wildy salt food before I even tasted it! I don't do that anymore! I do not add salt when preparing my foods, unless it is needing in a baking recipe. I use lite salt to flavor foods when I absolutely need the salty flavor as a treat. I avoid processed or frozen prepared meals because I have vascular insufficiency in my legs. As we all know, salt can cause the body to retain water. Excess fluid in the legs can cause swelling and put pressure on leg veins, weakening vein walls and leading to chronic venous insufficiency. OP should watch, and perhaps lower, her salt consumption. in accordance with a conversation with her doctor to discuss her concerns.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite "problem". Since I started tracking I have noticed my sodium comes in way under the target - often less than half. Does anyone know if that is bad? Like is it possible to not get enough sodium?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I have the opposite "problem". Since I started tracking I have noticed my sodium comes in way under the target - often less than half. Does anyone know if that is bad? Like is it possible to not get enough sodium?

It is possible to get too little sodium and it can be dangerous. But you don't need to get 2,300 (the MFP default, I believe) to get enough. It can vary depending on your health and lifestyle, but from what I've read anything under 500 mg per day would be insufficient. It's also possible that you're picking some database entries that don't include sodium information (not everyone includes it when they're making a new entry), so I would double-check for accuracy before you conclude that you need more.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

It is possible to get too little sodium and it can be dangerous. But you don't need to get 2,300 (the MFP default, I believe) to get enough. It can vary depending on your health and lifestyle, but from what I've read anything under 500 mg per day would be insufficient. It's also possible that you're picking some database entries that don't include sodium information (not everyone includes it when they're making a new entry), so I would double-check for accuracy before you conclude that you need more.

Yeah I think I am fine then. It is never below 500, usually around 900-1100, and probably more due to the factors you suggested. I was just surprised to see it so far below the target noted as I have never tracked food before. I don't eat much "processed" food so that is probably why.