5'4" 31 years old.. Needs help

Options
chaseracer2386
chaseracer2386 Posts: 105 Member
edited August 2018 in Introduce Yourself
4p9223m262xd.jpg
First off this weight loss stuff is so hard. If i could just keep my hand out of the cookie jar i think i would be fine. Cant resist them little chocolate chips! Anyhow, my name is Nikki and i really need to lose 60lbs. Not just to look better but wanna feel better to. I have 4 kids and i need to shed thr weight so i can keep up with them for sure. Need advice on what works for each individual.. Maybe it would work for me too.

Replies

• William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    The first thing is that you are asking. The second is the hardest, you have to aviod those temptations and get your cals in and out sorted. Thirdly get active with kids, benefits them and you
  • chaseracer2386
    Options
    Yes i agree.. I have lost weight b4 using this app.. But that was some years ago and 2 less kids.. Im gonna try my hardest though
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I’m a mama of 4 little ankle biters myself. On the road to lose the baby weight... AGAIN 😂😬. Feel free to add me if you’d like to 🙂
  • Skelders88
    Skelders88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So, what's helped me the most is seriously just being extra vigilant about CICO. At my biggest, I was at 306, and then my heart decided to throw a fit, and I got really serious about watching what I was eating. I just kind of followed the numbers as if it was some sort of odd religion - numbers before anything else, especially cravings.

It's hard, and some days you will fail. The most important thing is to get right back to it the next day. Eventually, you could even splurge one day and make up for it the next by fasting a little bit. For me, as long as the calories all balance out by the end of the week, I'm good.

I also refuse to weigh myself more than once a week. That can get discouraging when the scale doesn't seem to want to go anywhere but sometimes up, and make sure you weight yourself in the morning, around the same time every week. I weigh myself on Mondays.

Once I got down to a certain weight...I'd say around 270ish, CICO alone wasn't quite enough. I added walking and I bought a stationary bike on eBay for about $120. Since then, I've dropped another ~30 lbs, and I'm losing consistently outside of a plateau week every now and again.

For those cravings, I really like peanut butter-high in protein, easily accessible, and just plain simple. It can even be added to stuff to make things kind of sweet...like I'll get those small bags of plain instant oatmeal (about 150 cals each) and add a tbsp of natural peanut butter (90) and sometimes a small shot of hershey's chocolate syrup (~45), and that's kind of a sweet snack/meal that will actually keep me feeling full for a pretty long time.

One of the biggest tips that really works is just to stop buying the stuff that's hurting your diet. Have a weakness for chocolate chip cookies? Either cut down on how many you buy or stop buying them as often and see how that works.

All that said, as long as you're watching your calories and throwing in some cardio, you should lose weight. You can almost literally eat whatever you want, as long as the portions are appropriate in relation to your calorie intake.

Weight loss is a tricky feat, but it can be done. It just takes willpower. That is how I've had success so far.

Good luck! You can do it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you need a major shift in attitude. Dramatic, but not extreme - you'll actually stop going from one extreme to another, to an ordinary, normal, balanced, healthy life.

Rename "this weight loss stuff". Weight loss and weight management is pure maths/physics. Everybody's weight is regulated by calorie intake and expenditure over time. Nothing magic.

If you tell yourself something is hard, it will be hard.
    If you tell yourself you don't have control, you'll lose control.
    If you think things have power over you, you give power to those things.

You could reduce temptation load by not having cookies in the house in the first place.

Losing weight when you're overweight will make you feel better, and look better, there is no dilemma, and noone is questioning your motives.

While the process of weight loss is the same for everybody, the best method for you will be individual. So you need to figure out the specifics for yourself. But at least now you're let in on the basics, so you can build your own plan and actually succeed.
  • chaseracer2386
    Options
    Advice it great. Thanks.. Been doing good for the past 5 days.. Went a little over yesterday cause i drank 5 beers... But over all ive been kickin butt! Still havent started any exercise routine but ill get there one day..
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds stupid, but this cookie jar is it literal or a metaphor for all the high calorie, low nutrient foods?
  • chaseracer2386
    Options
    I was really just being sarcastic when i put it on here.. Kinda being funny.. Guess just my since of humor. I just wanted some advice on what works for different people. And i might give it a try..
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I thought I sensed that, but you know it’s kind of hard to determine in text. It just had me thinking about “trigger foods” (idk if that’s the word for it), the ones that if you keep it in the house, you eat it all until you’re bloated and it hurts and you feel like poop.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is to think of it, not as a diet, but to think of it as a lifestyle change to get healthy. Next time you find your hand in the cookie jar, figure out what you are feeling exactly at that moment and ask yourself if you are really hungry or are you bored, feeling stressed, upset about something. Don't eat your emotions. And don't drink your calories - it's one thing to have a beer and enjoy it, but at 5 you are not enjoying the beer, you are drinking empty calories.
    I find that when you get really conscious and in the moment, you'll make better choices. Remember that you are doing this for you, not for anyone else, because you want to get healthy and be around to see the grandkids.
  • chaseracer2386
    Options
    I thought I sensed that, but you know it’s kind of hard to determine in text. It just had me thinking about “trigger foods” (idk if that’s the word for it), the ones that if you keep it in the house, you eat it all until you’re bloated and it hurts and you feel like poop.

O yes i do know what your talking about.. with me having 4 kids and a husband that can eat like a horse and never gain a pound.. Its so hard not to want to eat what they are eating.. Cause im not gonna be like well if i cant eat it you cant either..
  • chaseracer2386
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is to think of it, not as a diet, but to think of it as a lifestyle change to get healthy. Next time you find your hand in the cookie jar, figure out what you are feeling exactly at that moment and ask yourself if you are really hungry or are you bored, feeling stressed, upset about something. Don't eat your emotions. And don't drink your calories - it's one thing to have a beer and enjoy it, but at 5 you are not enjoying the beer, you are drinking empty calories.
    I find that when you get really conscious and in the moment, you'll make better choices. Remember that you are doing this for you, not for anyone else, because you want to get healthy and be around to see the grandkids.

Thanks for the advice. Im really not aheavy drinker.. Actually i usually have a 2 beer limit. But last night was a great night and i needed it. But im back on track today. Did so much better. Just gotta take it day by day i guess and not just give up.