UGH. Can’t find motivation

Hi all! 46 and fairly healthy. Eat well, exercise quite a bit. But I eat too much to lose any weight and I definitely need to lose. (20-30 pounds). I get motivated all the time, but I can’t stay motivated enough to consistently eat what’s necessary to lose. I know that I would feel better if I could lose a bit and I know all the right things to do but I can’t stay the course. Looking for some people who fee the same who might want to share support etc...

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You don't need motivation to eat less. Just eat less.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,473 Member
    edited August 2018
    You don't need motivation to eat less. Just eat less.

Yep!

Prelog your day, and eat what you've said you'll eat.

Habit ... rather than motivation.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,522 Member
    Motivation is vastly overrated for weight loss. If it were up to me, I’d change the name of this board to determination.

Use MFP to calculate a modest calorie deficit. Aim for 1 lb per week. Start a food diary where you log in everything no matter what. Wildly over your number? Yes, log it all. Get a food scale. Plan each day and week. Use your food scale whenever possible. Figure out a system to deal with calorie counting gray areas. Set up weekly weigh ins.

Have hope. A calorie deficit monitored with a food diary will get you where you want to be over time. Be patient. That voice in your head right now saying 1 lb per week isn’t enough, that’s a patience issue. Trust the process. You can do this.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Motivation is fleeting. You need determination and patience. Determination to stick to the process (weighing, logging, calorie deficit) and patience give the process time to work.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Hi all! 46 and fairly healthy. Eat well, exercise quite a bit. But I eat too much to lose any weight and I definitely need to lose. (20-30 pounds). I get motivated all the time, but I can’t stay motivated enough to consistently eat what’s necessary to lose. I know that I would feel better if I could lose a bit and I know all the right things to do but I can’t stay the course. Looking for some people who fee the same who might want to share support etc...

Staying the course and being consistent will get you the results you want. What motivates me may not motivate you..You need to find your why and your drive to get back into your weight loss mojo.

Some days I just need a kick in the @ss perspective. A cancer patient with months to live would gladly trade places for our weight loss struggles.

Live life with no regret.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Motivation is fleeting. You need determination and patience. Determination to stick to the process (weighing, logging, calorie deficit) and patience give the process time to work.

Yep. And build the habits that hold you through the low points.