Bad air making me hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yeah down in Portland my rowing class that would have been tomorrow morning at got canceled because of the smoke coming from essentially everywhere other than the Pacific Ocean. I wasn't in the country for all of last summer so didn't have to deal with it when the state was on fire and I wasn't alive when St. Helens erupted in 1980.

I did get in my run this morning but the air quality feels worse right now, at nearly 9:30pm, than it did this morning at 8am. I saw someone running on a track this evening and questioned his judgment. Needless to say, my goal for tomorrow will be to stay inside as much as possible.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Yeah down in Portland my rowing class that would have been tomorrow morning at got canceled because of the smoke coming from essentially everywhere other than the Pacific Ocean. I wasn't in the country for all of last summer so didn't have to deal with it when the state was on fire and I wasn't alive when St. Helens erupted in 1980.

I did get in my run this morning but the air quality feels worse right now, at nearly 9:30pm, than it did this morning at 8am. I saw someone running on a track this evening and questioned his judgment. Needless to say, my goal for tomorrow will be to stay inside as much as possible.

Much worse PM 2.5 concentrations tonight than this morning.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I’m supposed to climb Mt St Helens on Saturday. It would stink to get all the way to the top and not see the views! I grew up in Portland, OR and moved back 10 years ago. Anybody who wants to dispute climate change can come talk to me about my first 20 summers here and what they’re like now...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Much worse PM 2.5 concentrations tonight than this morning.

Yeah it's no wonder I was coughing a bit this evening. This morning at 7am the air quality index was 161. This evening at 8pm it was up to 170. A journalist working for The Oregonian called in a hellscape which seems about right given the rather orangy red color the smoke is making the moon look like this evening.

I will probably do a workout on Zwift tomorrow evening.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your view looks very similar to mine in Victoria, BC @NorthCascades. I can usually see the Olympic Mts, WA, from my kitchen window. Today and yesterday it looks like the earth ends at a small mount 0.5km away!

I think this is the worst forest fire smog we have had in a long time. It tends to blow over us quite fast, as we are on the coast, but this August it has been a lot hotter (36-41centegrade in the garden) with no wind.

The most I'm doing outside is gardening, no heavy duty stuff.

@cwolfman13, I can't believe you got as far as Anacortes and didn't get the ferry over to visit :(

Cheers, h.

Our whale watching tour actually took us just off the coast of Victoria...we didn't bring passports though...
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Im with you guys 100%. I'm in Bellingham and was just complaining earlier today about how the best time of year here and the last hurrah of summer seems to be a thing of the past. The last few years have been like this in August. We get a majority of the smoke here from the BC fires but also get it from the east. This smoke is just unbearable and depressing.

Just for a little perspective, I can only imagine how unbearable and depressing it is to the people who have lost their homes, worldly possessions, or lives of their loved ones in these fires causing this smoke that's making it so inconvenient for people to exercise/enjoy their summer. Or for the thousands of firefighters putting their lives on the line to battle the fires, many of who are hundreds or thousands of miles away from their homes for weeks/months at a time to do so.

#firstworldproblems

Somebody always has it worse, no matter what the problem is. That said, air that's harmful to breath is hardly a "first world problem" that people have no right to be unhappy about.

I think I get the point of what @Anvilhead is saying. While I do feel for the people that have lost their homes & lives in these fires, I also wouldn't consider the respiratory distress caused by the smoke an inconvenience. Especially for those that are at risk - such as the very old, very young, and those with lung problems. (The fact it might inconvenience a trip or something might be a first world problem though.)

But it did make me stop and think. What if I did not have access to my rescue inhaler? What kind of position would I be in? Due to the fact I took it probably 10 or more times last week alone, I'm guessing not a very good place. It won't stop me from complaining, but it does make me be thankful I have access to medical care that makes living with asthma comfortable, and manageable. I am also thankful to be able to go inside and get out of the bad air. I think that was the point- just to stop for a moment and appreciate what we have. (then get back to complaining? :wink: )

• PhotogirlTX
    PhotogirlTX Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Colorado here and the fires and smoke have been awful. I have resorted to getting up at 4:45 AM and riding my bike inside my home, connected to a trainer just to get my exercise in. The smoke isn't as bad in the mornings and it is nice and cool... but by noon, my head is aching and I am coughing. This fire season has been awful for all states.