Confused

So I've been logging religiously and been about 2000 calories for several weeks now. My goal is 3760. Last 2 weeks I've dropped 2 lbs, what gives

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2018
    i get the sense it was posted in the wrong forum possibly are you wondering why you arent losing more
  • ditchdoc94
    ditchdoc94 Posts: 24 Member
    Sorry I guess I phrased it wrong, why arent I loosing more
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    What are your stats? Is 3760 the goal MFP gave you to lose weight? How are you measuring your calorie intake?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    ditchdoc94 wrote: »
    Sorry I guess I phrased it wrong, why arent I loosing more

you phrased it fine you just posted under maintaining weight forum :p
  • ditchdoc94
    3760 is what MFP gave me. Tracking and logging in the app
  • malibu927
    If 3760 is what MFP gave you and is accurate (you haven't given your height or weight), then that's how much you should be eating. That said, if you aren't losing on 2000 calories then you're eating more than you think. How do you measure your foods? Scale? Cups? Eyeballing portions?
  • ditchdoc94
    Scale or measuring cup, alot of single serve packages. I'm 6'4" and 367as of today
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear and takes a long time. You are losing weight. If you've dropped 2 pounds in each of the last two weeks (or even 2 pounds total) then you are succeeding.

Calorie counting takes practice. You try to get as close as you can on your estimates of calories in and calories out. Gather your own personal data over the weeks and months and make adjustments as you go along.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Actually, IMHO, you posted in the best forum. Most of these posters have lost weight and maintained it. Listen to them. I know my weight will flux greatly. Watched a 3 lbs increase in trending over a month. Then in less than 2 weeks fell off. Best of luck.
  • bulldozer1984
    bulldozer1984 Posts: 10 Member
    3760 is your maintenance? That’s a lot of calories.. 2000-2500 calories is typically maintenance for most people. Of course I don’t know your level of activity..

Anyways, 1lb a week is good for your first 2 weeks. In saying that, You really need to do the calorie deficit thing for at least a month before assessing and then adjusting your diet for weight loss.

If you want to lose weight faster, say 2lb a week, drop down to 1500 calories a day. Technically that should put you at 2lb per week mathematically speaking, all things being equal.

In saying that, everyone’s body reacts differently to diets and you need to assess how your body reacts so I suggest not dropping the calories any more, just yet, and reassessing in 2 weeks.
  • malibu927
    3760 is your maintenance? That’s a lot of calories.. 2000-2500 calories is typically maintenance for most people. Of course I don’t know your level of activity..

Anyways, 1lb a week is good for your first 2 weeks. In saying that, You really need to do the calorie deficit thing for at least a month before assessing and then adjusting your diet for weight loss.

If you want to lose weight faster, say 2lb a week, drop down to 1500 calories a day. Technically that should put you at 2lb per week mathematically speaking, all things being equal.

In saying that, everyone’s body reacts differently to diets and you need to assess how your body reacts so I suggest not dropping the calories any more, just yet, and reassessing in 2 weeks.

With his stats 3760 is very plausible for maintenance, and 1500 would be way too low to aim for
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You were hoping to have lost more in that time frame?
    How are you tracking those 2000 cals? because if MFP has calculated your loss on eating 3760 for 1lb? a week then you are eating more than 2000 cals...
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Something is obviously not adding up here. Re-check your calorie goal, and your logging of foods.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    ditchdoc94 wrote: »
    Scale or measuring cup, alot of single serve packages. I'm 6'4" and 367as of today

Cups aren't accurate enough, stick to the scale. Single serve packages - weigh the contents... I have found packets often contain more than stated on the label. :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    if your calorie goal is 3760 with your deficit and you are eating only 2000 which would be an additional 1760 calories deficit. you would be losing clost to 4lbs a week if not more. if you are only losing 2 lbs then you are only in a 1000 calorie deficit, so yes you are eating more than 2000 calories. I would say possibly more than 3000 calories. weight EVERYTHING all solids and semi solids on a digital scale in grams and all liquids in cups. measure your oils,condiments,etc. weight all fruits,veggies,bread slices,etc. calories add up. my chicken patty for a serving is 71g. it was 78g. so that gives me extra calories because its more than a serving size.

same with my bagel it was 104g and a serving is 95g. yesterday my protein bar was 69g its supposed to be 60g. so things like that add up and its VERY easy to eat more than you think if you are not weighing food. I had some french onion dip. it says 30g or 2 tablespoons, I used a teaspoon and took out enough to weigh 30g. it was 2 teaspoons worth not 2 tablespoons worth. so see how easy it would be to rack up the calories without knowing if not using a scale?
  • ditchdoc94
    Good suggestions all. I'm gonna keep grinding.
  • eosborne
    eosborne Posts: 7 Member
    Its better to use a calculator to determine based on your age height and current weight to get the daily maintenance weight calories, lose weight calories and gain weight calories. Losing too many calories per day will backfire. Your body will begin to hoard/store calories because it will think your starving it. Any more the 2 calories a day can be challenging and unhealthy unless you've had weight lose surgery and being monitored by a doctor. When you lose a significant amount of weight, you may have to recalculate your weight on the calculator because maybe your "lose weight calories" need to be adjusted based on your new weight. Your body needs to have a certain amount of calories in order for your organs to function.