Very Confused! (Atkins, Ketogenic, Mediterranean, etc....)

Options
I'm trying to figure out where to start but the more I read about all the different types of programs to follow the more I get confused on which to follow. The only thing that I know for sure is you need a calorie deficit to loose weight.
A little background on me: 51 years old, 6' 4", 365lbs, & ultimate goal would be 240lbs.

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple: eat less, move more. Eat food you enjoy in quantities appropriate to your size, build and lifestyle (mfp does the calculation for you), take up interests/activities that you enjoy. Remember that for good health you need to aim for mfp macro targets - but don't sweat it too much at first.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple: eat less, move more. Eat food you enjoy in quantities appropriate to your size, build and lifestyle (mfp does the calculation for you), take up interests/activities that you enjoy. Remember that for good health you need to aim for mfp macro targets - but don't sweat it too much at first.

MFP's macro targets are just a universal default they set for everybody. While they're not a bad starting point, they're not necessary for good health. Many people change them to better fit their individual needs. A good guide to setting up your macros can be found here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, you already know what you need to do to lose weight. Now forget about the diets.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As mentioned the key to weight loss is calorie management. The Mediterranean style of eating probably has more support in the traditional medical community than the others from an overall health standpoint based on what I've read.

Given your weight, I would push your doctor to send you to a Registered Dietitian to make sure your style of eating matches your specific overall health needs in addition to weight loss.

Best of luck.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    AFID! Another Fad Inspired Diet! Fad diets never work, but the media loves to sell advertising off them because they know suckers will buy stuff.

Eat healthy within your calorie guidelines, that is all there is to it, no fad diet needed.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You have a few choices:
    - Try a random diet and see if it sticks (not recommended but can work)
    - Look at all these diets and see which one agrees more with your food preferences and follow that (not the best choice unless you're the kind of person who likes having a structure of pre-set rules until you are confident enough to form your own rules)
    - Look at your own diet, as it is now, and see where you can tweak it to make it lower in calories or higher in certain nutrients you're interested in (the most customizable choice that allows you to modify your diet to fit your life instead of the other way around)

All of these options will only induce weight loss if you achieve a calorie deficit consistently enough, so look for something that is easier for you to be consistent with.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Ditto the above. I don't follow any special diet. I eat any food that work for me that keep me full (and in my case, I need volume as well). It takes trial and error to get a groove. I mostly started with foods I already ate and figured where those had me as far as calorie (and macros) and slowly tweaked from there. My issue was more about portions anyway.