Salad Dressings?

Options
Help!

The top shelf of my refrigerator is almost entirely taken up by zero & low calorie salad dressings. I haven't used one of them in over a month since I "discovered" volume eating. Huge salads filled with various veggies and proteins and fats (avocados, cottage cheese, or goat or feta, etc.) and herbs and spices. Oh my!

I tried doing a search, but obviously I am not using the right keywords, so are there any things I can do with salad dressing(s) that don't involve putting them on salad?

I'm not saying I won't ever use them again on my salad, but why "waste" 60 calories on 2 tbsp of dressing, when for 10 calories more, I can have a whole hard boiled egg, that when chopped and warmed, will cream-ify, coat the other ingredients and add deliciousness, bulk, and protein too?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    They are good marinades for chicken and fish.
    Home made oven fries, or roast potatoes/yams tossed in a tbsp or two of salad dressing instead of oil makes a nice change too.
    Experiment with roasted veg, carrots work well, haven't done others.

Cheers, h.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose to use them on you can still find lower calorie options so you could easily wind up in the same boat. I am not fond of the marinade plan but that is probably as good as any suggestion. I think a brine with some seasoning is better for chicken and I stick to dry herbs and rubs for fish.

Making your own salad dressing is really simple if you keep a few key ingredients around. Yogurt based dressings mixed with a little xanthan gum can make even lower calorie options than the "light" dressings anyway. I make one that I jokingly call a salad flavored salad dressing because it has so many vegetables in it.
  • Scubagirl713
    Scubagirl713 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Help!

The top shelf of my refrigerator is almost entirely taken up by zero & low calorie salad dressings. I haven't used one of them in over a month since I "discovered" volume eating. Huge salads filled with various veggies and proteins and fats (avocados, cottage cheese, or goat or feta, etc.) and herbs and spices. Oh my!

I tried doing a search, but obviously I am not using the right keywords, so are there any things I can do with salad dressing(s) that don't involve putting them on salad?

I'm not saying I won't ever use them again on my salad, but why "waste" 60 calories on 2 tbsp of dressing, when for 10 calories more, I can have a whole hard boiled egg, that when chopped and warmed, will cream-ify, coat the other ingredients and add deliciousness, bulk, and protein too?

Another vote to use them as marinades. I have some chicken breasts marinading overnight in a Greek vinaigrette in the fridge right now. Toss the marinade and then oven roast the chicken in cast iron on a bed of sliced lemons and fresh rosemary. Low calorie with tons of flavor.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you still wanted to use them you can cut them down with vinegar or something, use them as marinades as mentioned, add a bit to tuna or chicken salads (instead of mayo), also you can use a bit as spreads on sandwiches or wraps (depending on how thick they are)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Another vote to use them as marinades. Greek and Italian are great on the grill. Creamier ones might not work as well on the grill, but they'd be fine in the oven on fish, chicken, potatoes, etc.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Help!

From experience:
    1tbsp of a vinaigrette is perfect for 1lb of cubed potatoes for roasting.

.5Tbsp of ranch or caesar plus .5tbsp vinaigrette is amazing on 1lb of roasted or grilled veggies (place veggies in a bag, add dressing - let marinade for 30 minutes, drain & cook).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. You don't want to add 60 cals to a salad but you're willing to add it to something else? You can use it as a dip for raw veggies, crackers, chips. You can serve it on the side of a salad and just dip your fork in it. Or drizzle it over cooked veggies..
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Green Goddess from Trader Jose, 20 calories for two tablespoons.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Is this about what other uses for dressing or about low calorie dressings?

I created a thread a few weeks ago on oil free (low calorie) salad dressings:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10687288/oil-free-salad-dressings
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    If you normally use mayo as a binder in tuna, chicken, or egg salad (as a sandwich filling, or to stuff a tomato or avocado or as a component of a main dish salad), you could try subbing salad dressing. I would think you could use a smaller volume of salad dressing than mayo, as it's thinner and should combine more easily with the solid food.
  • timsethna
    timsethna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Marinating and dipping for grilled chicken😁
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a food pantry if they are unopened.

If they are open take into work for co-workers to use.

Use as a dip for cut veggies

Make pasta salad with it. You can make it creamy or tangy. I had a delicuous pasta salad with red wine vinegrette this weekend.