Upcoming Medical Test about to make me gain!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Amandachanges
    Amandachanges Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I just need to find a “healthy” way to add in all those fat grams. I’ve been on a low fat diet for months now. Not low fat to lose weight, but to avoid terrible and embarrassing symptoms. Any ideas for getting the fat in in a way that’s healthy? I’m sitting here imagining myself eating coconut oil out of a jar with a spoon *blech*

Oh my. If you have been low fat I am afraid this may well end up a very uncomfortable week for you. I have no idea how you transition fast enough to avoid some potentially very painful cramping and bathrooms issues and comply with your doctor's orders.

To avoid the coconut oil/spoon plan you should research Keto recipes.
    Yeah, there is really no way for me to “transition”...I fear it’s going to be a fantastic week spent in the bathroom!
    blowing up my progress - didn't you just struggle to eat, at all?
    terrible and embarrassing symptoms - digestive issues? If so, you have to talk to your doctor.
    ideas for getting the fat in in a way that’s healthy - sufficient fat is essential, and 100 grams isn't that much. Just eat full fat foods instead of diet foods, they are so much more delicious, it's easy.
    Yes, I have been struggling to eat lately...mainly due to personal stress. And yes, I did talk to my doctor, hence the “fecal fat test” she ordered. She also ordered a certain type of HIDA scan to check for gallbladder dyskinesia.
    Avocados and Almonds are great ways to add fat to diets.
    Please don't do that. She's scared of food, scared to eat, needs to stop focusing on specific foods.
    You’d be scared of food too, if you were me. Eating fat causes me pain in my upper abdomen. Eating a “normal” meal sends me running to the bathroom, and sometimes I don’t make it. Eating fat makes me nauseous. Eating fattening and/or spicy foods makes my stomach burn and throb (currently being treated for yet ANOTHER flare up of erosive gastritis). I don’t have an eating disorder...my body is having a problem with fat absorption. You know the grease that sits at the top of your pizza...that’s what comes out of me. I’m not eating low-fat because I’m trying to lose weight...in fact, I didn’t start this journey with weight loss on my mind at all. I started this journey to be healthy, and in the hopes that one day my body would be capable of pooping normal once again. The weight loss became something I started to focus on to take my mind off the underlying health concerns. I needed something less scary to focus on.
    I eat about that much fat daily on 1900-2300 calories, and I've been maintaining my weight at 140 for many years.

It's about calories for weight loss. Your pancreas will thank you for eating lower carb.
    All medical literature and basic biology dictates that your pancreas (if ailing) will never thank you for eating fat. Not ever. Low fat diets are mandatory for long-term survival/quality of life when it comes to all forms of pancreatic disease/dysfunction.
    i wonder if the OP's health issues are tied to her current low fat diet - i just took a look at diary - avg daily fat in the 4 days i looked was like 30g - that is potentially below the minimal recommendation for fats
    I started eating low fat due to my health issues. Prior to that, I was eating 50-90g a day without issue (aside from the whole “obesity” thing. Since going low fat, I am no longer running to the bathroom throughout the day, and the “accidents” have become more of a rare occurrence. I pray it’s just my gallbladder not working, and nothing more sinister.

Thank you for the advice guys/gals. It is much appreciated!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ooh, yikes! I hope you feel better soon. When I'm feeling sick, anything with a lot of volume makes me feel worse. I also tend to stick to finger foods. Just some ideas for meals/snacks-

sliced salami, wrapped around full-fat cheese sticks, dipped in hummus
    2 small tortillas, melted with full fat cheese, 80/20 ground beef, dipped in sour cream and guacamole
    smoothie - full fat milk, full fat yogurt, 2 tbsp peanut butter, serving of fruit
    2 slices of bread, toasted with butter, add peanut butter and jelly
    shredded chicken thigh mixed with mayo, dried cranberry and almonds, with Ritz crackers