Can I eat as much broccoli as I want, regardless of max caloric intake?

Options
So I just started using myfitnesspal to count my calories yesterday, as I'm trying to lose 1lb per week (for performance reasons.) It was a tough day, I was constantly hungry and thinking about food. By night time, I only had a few calories left to intake so I found myself googling foods that were low in calories and high in satiation. An article came up about broccoli, how it's low calorie (30 calories per cup), but that it takes 80 calories to burn a cup of ingested broccoli.

Does this mean then that you can eat an unlimited amount of broccoli, and that you'll actually be burning more calories by doing so? All while allowing yourself to feel full? It sounds too good to be true, so I thought I'd ask...

Replies

• J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is great, eat away imho
  • justinrunner
    justinrunner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You might be right that 1lb/week might not be appropriate. I'm already lean (5'8" / 141lbs) but want to get the weight down before my Fall marathon, as each pound equates to roughly a minute gained/lost over the entire 26.2. I'm 10 weeks out and want to lose 6 pounds, so 1lb/week is the only way to hit that goal and still have time to stabilize so I'm not depleted going into the race. However, I run a lot (90-100 miles per week), so my hunger is ravenous. I'll tinker with this a few more days and see how it goes, maybe .5lb/week (like you said) would be more appropriate.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You might be right that 1lb/week might not be appropriate. I'm already lean (5'8" / 141lbs) but want to get the weight down before my Fall marathon, as each pound equates to roughly a minute gained/lost over the entire 26.2. I'm 10 weeks out and want to lose 6 pounds, so 1lb/week is the only way to hit that goal and still have time to stabilize so I'm not depleted going into the race. However, I run a lot (90-100 miles per week), so my hunger is ravenous. I'll tinker with this a few more days and see how it goes, maybe .5lb/week (like you said) would be more appropriate.

What is your calorie goal? Again, are you logging and eating back those running calories?