Can I eat as much broccoli as I want, regardless of max caloric intake?

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You are likely ravenous because of the exercise calorie question you haven't answered.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I mean. It would be very hard for me to overeat on broccoli lol. If I sat down with an unlimited amount of broccoli and told myself I could eat as much as I wanted, I wouldn't get very far.

It's not negative calories. The calories you burn by digesting your food is factored into your NEAT
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Well 2 lbs of broccoli is about 240 cals... i have been known to eat that amount of veg in a day. So, have a field day with non starchy veggies. Still stay withen calories. WARNING: gas might be horrid at first. Lol
  • justinrunner
    justinrunner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    After inputting my info, it said I'd normally want to eat 2,000 calories per day. So with the goal of losing 1lb per week it's down to 1,500 calories per day. I run 2-3 hours per day (auto-synced over from Strava, very cool!), so it allows me to eat an additional 1,600-2,400 calories. It probably sounds like a lot though, even though I'm starving lol!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    After inputting my info, it said I'd normally want to eat 2,000 calories per day. So with the goal of losing 1lb per week it's down to 1,500 calories per day. I run 2-3 hours per day (auto-synced over from Strava, very cool!), so it allows me to eat an additional 1,600-2,400 calories. It probably sounds like a lot though, even though I'm starving lol!

How much are you actually eating?
  • justinrunner
    Options
    As for a pound equating to a minute, it's basically assuming a 2-3 second in pace per mile, which is generally what studies have found. However you're right, if I'm canabolizing muscle then that will certainly not be the case! I feel like I still have some fat on me, as I'm not as thin as a lot of the other runners I'm competing against and I don't have a super defined 6 pack. So if I lose weight slower (e.g. .5lb per week), there is less chance of what I lose being muscle?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    in addition to running, are you doing any kind of strength training? that may help with maintaining muscle
  • justinrunner
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am! I do glute and hip strengthening exercises once/week, just using body weight and resistance bands. I also hit the hex bar deadlift twice/week, as that supposedly is a really big bang for your buck with runners. I should mention that I'm not including those workouts in myfitnesspal yet, as they're very short and minimal intensity (besides the deadlifts). However maybe I should, getting to eat another 50-100 calories might make me less miserable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    So I just started using myfitnesspal to count my calories yesterday, as I'm trying to lose 1lb per week (for performance reasons.) It was a tough day, I was constantly hungry and thinking about food. By night time, I only had a few calories left to intake so I found myself googling foods that were low in calories and high in satiation. An article came up about broccoli, how it's low calorie (30 calories per cup), but that it takes 80 calories to burn a cup of ingested broccoli.

Does this mean then that you can eat an unlimited amount of broccoli, and that you'll actually be burning more calories by doing so? All while allowing yourself to feel full? It sounds too good to be true, so I thought I'd ask...

That's simply not true. There is no food that has a TEF of 100% +. Protein has the highest TEF with some sources being around 30%. Broccoli is low calorie, but it is not negative calorie.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

How much are you actually eating?

Inputting your info where? What does that mean “I would normally want to eat 2,000 cals/day” that’s the number that a calculator provided for maintaining your weight? Was it MFP or another calculator? Was that your BMR, NEAT or TDEE?

Because that sounds very low for an active, healthy male. I’m a 5’2 female maintaining at 118 and my TDEE is 2200.
  • justinrunner
    Options
    Yeah that was using MFP, I put in my age / height / weight and that's what it came up for me. The catch is I put in the most sedentary lifestyle, as when I'm not running I'm sitting on a computer all day at work. I figured my exercising doesn't factor into that, as I'm gaining calories when I actually do exercise. Does that seem right, or should I put in a more active mode (because I'm actually burning additional calories after my runs are over?)

I'm going to need to look up BMR, NEAT, and TDEE, as I have no idea what those are! (This is my first time calorie counting.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yeah that was using MFP, I put in my age / height / weight and that's what it came up for me. The catch is I put in the most sedentary lifestyle, as when I'm not running I'm sitting on a computer all day at work. I figured my exercising doesn't factor into that, as I'm gaining calories when I actually do exercise. Does that seem right, or should I put in a more active mode (because I'm actually burning additional calories after my runs are over?)

I'm going to need to look up BMR, NEAT, and TDEE, as I have no idea what those are! (This is my first time calorie counting.)

But when you put your stats in MFP, you first selected “maintain my weight” and the number was 2000?

• justinrunner
    Options
    No I didn't try maintain weight, I put in lose 1lb per week and it showed a goal of 1,500 calories per day. I just assumed that that meant my standard number was 2,000. Since it takes 3,500 calories lost to shed a pound, divided by 7 days in a week is 500 calories per day to lose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    No I didn't try maintain weight, I put in lose 1lb per week and it showed a goal of 1,500 calories per day. I just assumed that that meant my standard number was 2,000. Since it takes 3,500 calories lost to shed a pound, divided by 7 days in a week is 500 calories per day to lose.

That's odd...most males get a 1500 calorie target for 2 Lbs per week...the average male is going to maintain on around the 2500 calorie neighborhood with light, general activity...are you sure you put everything in correctly? MFP's calorie targets are also sans exercise.
  • justinrunner
    Options
    Just double checked, it all looks right to me. Maybe it's because I'm so small? 5'8" / 141 lb so they're categorizing me as a woman??? :open_mouth:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I just checked 2000 maintenance is right if you put in sedentary. If you only intend to do this for 6 weeks I would go with a TDEE number which for you is probably 2800-3000. To lose .5lb per week I would shoot for 2550 for a couple of weeks and then go a little higher if you are still very hungry or you are losing more than expected.

Your results in 6 weeks may be disappointing this time around because it takes some time to nail down specifics but it might help you next time which I hope you will give yourself more than 6 weeks if/when you do it again.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    So it counts against you when you consume it (towards your daily allowance), but how do we factor in how many calories it takes to digest it? It seems like our formula (daily allowance + exercise - consumed) doesn't factor this in...

It's factored into TEF (Thermic Effect of Food). The TEF of carbs is around 5%, fats around 3% and protein is around 25%. Since broccoli has both carbs (7g per 100g serving) and protein (3g per 100g serving), the TEF would be calculated as a mixed meal, which is generally accepted as 10%. So if you ate 1000 calories of broccoli, it would take around 100 calories to digest it, leaving you with a net intake of 900 calories.

That's not a negative calorie food.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'll eat my broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts, STEAMED, so I don't really count or measure the quantity.