Having trouble eating enough!

Options
QebsHann
QebsHann Posts: 15 Member
So, when I signed up for MFP it told me to eat 1200 calories a day, which seemed a little too low, but I went with it. Then I got some medical work done, and discovered that I should be eating roughly 1600 calories a day to lose weight without going under my BMR, but I was already having trouble reaching 1200, I'm just not that hungry. I am afraid that if I force myself to eat more I'll fall to overconsumption or binge eating as I usually do, and just erase all my progress thus far. Any tips? Maybe add more nuts or grains? I'm not eating sugar or flour.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    The satiety effect of different types of food vary from person to person, as do foods that trigger overconsumption and binging. You're going to have to figure out what works for you to reach a reasonable calorie goal without leading you way past it. If more energy-dense whole foods (including nuts and grains) are what works for you, go for it.

• OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hope I'm not out of line, but at first, it seemed humorous that people on a weight loss site would complain about not being able to eat all their alloted calories! However, I now know exactly what they mean. If I make a large salad with tuna or chicken or hardboiled egg, I get really full, and could not possibly eat another bite! So for the next meal I just choose something that is much more calorie dense, like peanut butter. I think most of us actually eat "better" overtime, and learn a lot about satiety.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    it's quite easy to add 200-300 calories in your day without chewing much more food.

Add a tbsp of nut butter to your breakfast = 80-100 calories, protein and healthy fat
    Add half an avocado to your salad, as a side veggie, etc = 100+ calories, good fiber content, healthy fat and nutrious
    Add a few nuts or dried fruits to your snack. 1/4 c is more than a 100 calories
    Eat a banana as a snack = 100+ calories
    Use full fat dairy product instead of low fat, it's usually 30 to 50 calories more per serving
    Switch up to regular dressing instead of low fat, 0 calories etc.
    instead of cucumber/brocoli/etc, eat a roasted sweet potato as side for you meal. More nutrius, calorie dense, etc and it's the same amount of food.
  • QebsHann
    Options
    When you signed up, you also picked a weekly weightloss goal. Did you pick 2 pounds? Do you have enough fat stores for that - are you obese?

Needing to lose weight and having trouble reaching 1200 calories, makes no rational sense. How are you measuring your intake? Are you eating boring, filling, low calorie foods? Are you so excited about losing weight that you ignore hunger pangs?

If you're really eating too little, eat more, of anything you like. Why are you not eating flour? You must be eating sugar (there is sugar in fruit, vegs and dairy).

I picked 2 pounds, and I weight 199 being 5'6, so I'm obese.
    I weigh my food, and I'm actually eating really tasty meals, but they are really low in calories. I'm not really getting hunger pangs.
    I'm not eating flour because I discovered it's bad for my IVS, and I meant added sugar, of course I'm eating fruits and vegs and dairy.
  • QebsHann
    Options
    Do you weigh your food with scales?

Yes I do!
  • QebsHann
    Options
    The satiety effect of different types of food vary from person to person, as do foods that trigger overconsumption and binging. You're going to have to figure out what works for you to reach a reasonable calorie goal without leading you way past it. If more energy-dense whole foods (including nuts and grains) are what works for you, go for it.

Thank you!
  • QebsHann
    Options
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    Hope I'm not out of line, but at first, it seemed humorous that people on a weight loss site would complain about not being able to eat all their alloted calories! However, I now know exactly what they mean. If I make a large salad with tuna or chicken or hardboiled egg, I get really full, and could not possibly eat another bite! So for the next meal I just choose something that is much more calorie dense, like peanut butter. I think most of us actually eat "better" overtime, and learn a lot about satiety.

That's exactly what I mean! I think I get in this mentality that healthy means really low in calories, so I eat a lot of veggies and then I'm just not hungry..
  • QebsHann
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Actually, over-restriction is more likely to result in binges than a modest, appropriate calorie deficit.

I know, that's what I'm afraid of :(
  • QebsHann
    Options
    mariluny wrote: »
    it's quite easy to add 200-300 calories in your day without chewing much more food.

Add a tbsp of nut butter to your breakfast = 80-100 calories, protein and healthy fat
    Add half an avocado to your salad, as a side veggie, etc = 100+ calories, good fiber content, healthy fat and nutrious
    Add a few nuts or dried fruits to your snack. 1/4 c is more than a 100 calories
    Eat a banana as a snack = 100+ calories
    Use full fat dairy product instead of low fat, it's usually 30 to 50 calories more per serving
    Switch up to regular dressing instead of low fat, 0 calories etc.
    instead of cucumber/brocoli/etc, eat a roasted sweet potato as side for you meal. More nutrius, calorie dense, etc and it's the same amount of food.

Thank you, these are great tips!
  • QebsHann
    Options
    For everyone that wonders how I could possibly be having trouble eating enough calories, the thing is that I didn't use to eat that much food unless I was binging, but everything I ate was really calorie dense. Like, oreos, pizza, bread, butter, lots of cheese and pasta. So now that I'm eating "healthy", the same portion has a lot less calories, and I'm just not hungry anymore. I think I get into this mentality that healthy means only green veggies, and then it's kinda hard to reach my calorie goal. But I'm going to add the more calorie dense but still healthy options you guys suggested. Thank you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's how to add more calories to your veggies and give you more of your fat soluble vitamins as well. Put a full-fat dressing on your veggies. Make sure it is measured, because fat calories add up quickly! I find that salads and veggies are much more palatable with a little fat, and like I say, I get the fat soluble vitamins on top of it.
  • QebsHann
    Options
    QebsHann wrote: »
    For everyone that wonders how I could possibly be having trouble eating enough calories, the thing is that I didn't use to eat that much food unless I was binging, but everything I ate was really calorie dense. Like, oreos, pizza, bread, butter, lots of cheese and pasta. So now that I'm eating "healthy", the same portion has a lot less calories, and I'm just not hungry anymore. I think I get into this mentality that healthy means only green veggies, and then it's kinda hard to reach my calorie goal. But I'm going to add the more calorie dense but still healthy options you guys suggested. Thank you!

I personally don't see anything wrong with eating pizza, bread, oreos, pasta, etc as long as u are eating in moderation. and as long as you are hitting your caloric goals and macros. just eat it in moderation and let it fit your budget. if, lets say, at the end of the day you have around 500 calories left, why cant you have a slice?

I eat pizza almost everyday :X

Because they trigger me into overconsumption and binging :(. So I can do it only occasionally.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Actually, over-restriction is more likely to result in binges than a modest, appropriate calorie deficit.

But you said you were afraid of this:

I am afraid that if I force myself to eat more I'll fall to overconsumption or binge eating as I usually do

As has been mentioned, there are lots of healthy ways of delivering lots of calories in small packages. Full fat dressings and peanut butter alone would do the trick. So relax and get those calories in! :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You might find somei ideas here. Skip to the end for more recipes: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • QebsHann
    Options

But you said you were afraid of this:

I am afraid that if I force myself to eat more I'll fall to overconsumption or binge eating as I usually do

As has been mentioned, there are lots of healthy ways of delivering lots of calories in small packages. Full fat dressings and peanut butter alone would do the trick. So relax and get those calories in! :)

I can be afraid of several things at once (?), hahaha, thank you for the tip!
  • QebsHann
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

don't stock up, just buy one slice :)

Hi, you obviously don't understand how binge eating works.

I'm in a similar position to you OP. I had been maintaining for about 2 years when some anxiety issues started me on a serious pattern of binge eating that I'm still trying to get a good hold of. I do find it's easier/ less risky just to "eat clean" and say no to everything than to try and practice moderation when things are still very unstable so I completely understand your mindset. I have been making an effort to add more non-triggering snacks during the day at work (not when at home, when I might binge) so I can keep my calories up and not get to the end of the day feeling deprived or starving. Salt and vinegar rice cakes, fruit, small greek yoghurts etc, just anything that isn't considered "treat food" by my binge-brain, which is obvs going to be a completely personal thing.

Good luck getting your calories up and more importantly banishing the binge-monster for good! <3

That is really helpful! Binge eating is a horrible monster that has haunted me for all my life, I hope I can banish it this time!