How did you begin?

I’ve been trying to wrap my mind around how to truly eat at maintenance. I’ve lost 4 more lbs since checking my weight almost 3 weeks ago, so clearly I’m still losing even though I feel like I’m eating so much more.
Is a reverse diet necessary? Did you just plug in your new stats and started eating at the calories it provided you? Any and every method of how you began eating at maintenance will be helpful.
Thank you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Use your real life data. How much were you eating when you were losing weight? At what rate of loss?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2018
    I increased my calories until I stopped losing weight.

Given you data it would appear that you need to add in roughly 600-700 more calories per day.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    I think that’s the problem - I actually started tracking here later on in my journey (a month ago to be exact). I’ve been losing weight eating more intuitively since September. Then I began to get restrictive 6-7 months in, so I’m estimating my calories within this entire period of time were ranging anywhere from 1200 (I know - insanely low), and 1600. But I’m not too sure..even now I’m always questioning if I’m tracking everything as accurately as possible.

I’m gonna keep tracking and follow along with my data as suggested. I’ll weigh myself every few weeks tho, just because I have scale anxiety.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I increased my calories until I stopped losing weight.

Given you data it would appear that you need to add in roughly 600-700 more calories per day.

This. I wasn't counting when I lost, and in reality I don't know that I "increased" or just hit equilibrium. But yeah.
  • TavistockToad
    admaarie wrote: »
    I think that’s the problem - I actually started tracking here later on in my journey (a month ago to be exact). I’ve been losing weight eating more intuitively since September. Then I began to get restrictive 6-7 months in, so I’m estimating my calories within this entire period of time were ranging anywhere from 1200 (I know - insanely low), and 1600. But I’m not too sure..even now I’m always questioning if I’m tracking everything as accurately as possible.

I’m gonna keep tracking and follow along with my data as suggested. I’ll weigh myself every few weeks tho, just because I have scale anxiety.

have you increased your calories then?
  • admaarie

I have. There’s some days I’m eating around anywhere from 1700-2000. Then I’ll read somewhere that’s not the proper way to go about maintenance so I’ll ge freaked out and start eating slightly under for a day or two. So much info out there not sure how to go about this.
  • TavistockToad

I have. There’s some days I’m eating around anywhere from 1700-2000. Then I’ll read somewhere that’s not the proper way to go about maintenance so I’ll ge freaked out and start eating slightly under for a day or two. So much info out there not sure how to go about this.

in what way would eating 1700 - 2000 cals not the 'proper way' to do maintenance? i don't understand?

given that the average sedentary woman maintains on 2000 cals, that's still a pretty low number?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I did it the same way as you: complaining that I was still losing weight :D Worst thing is: I had all the data right in front of me. I'd gone through a lot of effort trying to figure out how much calories my various types of workouts burn, and what my rate of loss is if not working out. Thus the data was all there. While MFP gave me about 1540 for maintenance I would have known was in fact around 1750 just by looking at my data *facepalm*
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I wish I could have said I was still losing weight LOL, my loss was always extremely slow, it was more like 0.5 every other week - in other words I was eating too close to maintenance already. So maintenance has been fine, it didn't take to long to figure out the number of calories I could eat weekly to stay the same weight.

Go by your rate of loss per week, that's how you'll basically know how many calories you can add per day to maintain.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    I'm currently trying to get my maintenance calories sorted out. I've created a spreadsheet for the last couple of weeks, and will do so for another few weeks, and am putting my daily logged calories on there. I then calculate the average daily calories for the week, and whether my trend is up, down, or same.

Hopefully I will have enough data in a month or two to figure out what my average daily calories are to maintain.

That might seem like I'm over thinking it. But that would be my style.. hahahaha
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I would just increase your calories based on your results (calculating it using how many calories you've been eating and how fast you've been losing weight) Or just increase it by something that you can handle, like increase it by 300 a day and do that for a while, keep weighing yourself, if you're still losing, increase by another 200, etc. Until you're not losing weight anymore.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    given that the average sedentary woman maintains on 2000 cals

Maybe that's "average", but it leaves a large number of women out. Age and height has a lot to do with it also. I am a 64 yo female and would be gaining if I ate 2000 cals a day.

• admaarie
    Thank you all for your insights and suggestions. I’m gonna keep tracking. I guess coming from a background of overeating I find it strange that some days I’m eating anywhere from 1700-2000 caloriesand still losing and maybe it’s just freaking me out a bit to increase.
  • TavistockToad
    edited August 2018
    iowalinda wrote: »
    given that the average sedentary woman maintains on 2000 cals

Maybe that's "average", but it leaves a large number of women out. Age and height has a lot to do with it also. I am a 64 yo female and would be gaining if I ate 2000 cals a day.

Do you know what 'average' means? :huh:
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,784 Member
    Maintenance is also not static. The MOST important part of maintaining is keeping your eyes open and taking action to either eat more or less as your personal goal (clothes, weight, fitness) dictates. I rarely eat the same # of calories a day. I do track mostly and I do weigh pretty frequently. But that's also the beauty of being in maintenance. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I calculated my maintenance from my logging data, but mostly as reassurance: I gradually increased intake until stable, more or less. Anecdotally, for some people, the gradual increase can lead to a higher than predicted maintenance calorie level. (Perhaps its that some people's energy level thus NEAT is more sensitive to calorie deficit or its lack.)

And I've weighed every day since long before weight loss, and noted the result, which has led me to be very unemotional about fluctuations. (It's just data.) A weight trending app (Happy Scale for iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight . . . .) may be helpful, too, but even these can mislead for a short time, and definitely won't give you a good trend until there's a few weeks of data.

There's a post I wrote here about some alternative ways to find the right calorie level, if that's of any help:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level