Kinda confused by my numbers - 3 month assesment

Options
My gym is run by a hospital group - Robert Wood Johnson. Every 3 months i get an evaluation with a nurse. She measures me. Weighs me. Checks my hydration level etc. She uses something call Polar TriFit.

Over all my weight is 4lbs up which I was expecting. I gained almost 15lbs through bad diet since i joined and ive lost all but 4lbs of it now. Everywhere on my body, apart from thighs and calfs she measures is a quarter of an inch bigger but she did say that could be down to measuring discrepancies. Another nurse measured me last time.

Ive lost 4.7% of my body fat but she said Ive gained 17lbs in lean body mass. Does that sound right? My main work out is swimming right now due to knee issue. I swim 50 laps 2-3 times a week. I might cycle a little also. Should I switch my cardio to something other than swimming like just cycling? I dont want to build too much muscle, Im trying to get the weight down for now but I know I need to tone and build as I do that.

Replies

• cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if its all accurate but one thing to take into account is that muscle takes up less space than fat, but it also weighs more. So that could by why you feel like you aren't losing the weight fast enough?
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    I am not sure if its all accurate but one thing to take into account is that muscle takes up less space than fat, but it also weighs more. So that could by why you feel like you aren't losing the weight fast enough?

Its not that I think the weights isnt coming off fast enough. I know its going ot take time to come off, Im more suprised about the muscle gain. 17lbs is a lot!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you're working out and you never did before, you might get "newbie gains", and if you were eating at a surplus which working out, you might be more likely to gain. That said, 17lbs is a lot, and I doubt that number is accurate. LBM does not necessarily equate to muscle. It's just everything that isn't fat, so water, food still digesting, organs, etc. Plus, if she's using a device that uses electronic resistance to measure, it's highly based on hydration levels and can very greatly.

I would ignore the definitive numbers and instead take monthly progress photos, go by how you feel, measurements, how clothes are feeling. Don't get caught up in the numbers and just keep at it!