New start and trying to lose 50lbs to be a little closer to my goal

Hi everyone,
I left an extremely stressful job 5 months ago and one where I didn't have the time to actually put effort into eating well. So here I am in a new job in a much healthier environment and finally taking the time to take care of myself. My goal right now is to lose 50lbs to start to be overall fitter and healthier.

I'm looking for any advice on what has worked for you in your journey thus far and what support networks you've found to be helpful. I'd love to also make new friends as well who are also trying to lose weight or just interested in living a healthy lifestyle.

Thanks for reading :)

Jen

Replies

• jaweeston
    jaweeston Posts: 27 Member
    Hey there, welcome. Congrats on choosing to get healthy in all areas! I have been on this journey 8 months. I am down 58#. I do exercise regularly but I have always done that.....eating was my issue. I track my food ALL MEALS, EVERYDAY, on MyFitnessPal app. I weigh weekly, I choose Monday’s because it keeps me accountable on the weekends too. I record every morsel. The other thing that has worked for me is that I chose to make things easy on myself for 2 meals of the day. I chose a breakfast and lunch I liked and that required little prep or planning. Then 99% of the time I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch. My dinners are HUGELY varied fish, chicken, some beef, pasta etc. lots of salads and fruit for dessert. This has worked to keep me from feeling deprived. I have to admit, I rarely eat out. It is just not worth the calorie jump for me. I have 12 more pounds to go. Good luck to you. Use the app and all it offers. Best, Judy
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I too had 50 pounds to lose, again, and what prevented regain, was that I stopped thinking about "eating healthy" and "exercising" as additional tasks, and started to figure out how to make great food and moving more, natural parts of my life. It doesn't take more effort or time to eat well and move more, because I do it instead of eating a poor diet and just sit.
  • DBNGUY786
    DBNGUY786 Posts: 54 Member
    What they said. More often than not, when we get into a routine of exercising we think now we can eat what we want but we don’t monitor the “calorie deficit” and that’s why MyFitness is awesome provided you are honest when logging. Also, before you eat, try logging the information first as a “draft” just to see whether it’s worth it adding it into your body. All the best with the weight loss and it will not be easy definitely but there are enough people here on this app that will guide you correctly. Note though that when you embark on the journey try and stick to one plan. If you continuously change plans the results will not be so great.
  • DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    Im back on for a third time with 50lbs to lose. I did it before by monitoring my food and exercising every day (even just a walk(. I got lazy and started eating what i wanted. I also had a baby! I found myself back at square 1 and starting again. I'm down 12lbs and have 50ish to go (🙈). Looking for friends to keep me accoubtable! Im logging every day and lifting weights with a trainer 3 times a week. Im trying to get walks in too each day. Good luck - u can do this now u have put ur mind to it!
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    @ilovehistory7766 you came to the right place one of the best community