Can’t live like this anymore

2»

Replies

• kballard1966
    kballard1966 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi Jonah, you've got this and we are here to help. I'm getting back on track today because I'm steadily gaining back all I have lost and then some. Together we can achieve! Please feel free to friend me.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    edited August 2018
    Jonah - first off grtz for trying to get a handle on your life and weight. It's not going to be easy, but it's not impossible.

Second, I agree with above postings - put your info in here and start logging everything you eat. I would highly suggest you get a food scale and weigh everything you can. Its a pain at first, but after a while you get pretty good at judging portion sizes. FYI, just about everyone under estimates the calories they eat.

Third, I wouldn't bit off more than you can chew - figuratively and literally :wink: !!! Cut back on the unhealthy snacks as much as you can, but realize it takes 21 days to form or break a habit, so don't beat yourself up if you eat some cookies, or just got to have a cheeseburger. I usually can go a week or two straight now and eat good, but still have to give in every once in a while, just to keep my sanity and not say "F this healthy diet crap" and quit. This from a guy in decent shape and been doing this for years. I quit smoking 17 years ago, and still get cravings - just now instead of 1 every hour, it's 1 every year - healthy eating isn't much different IMO.

Fourth, exercise would be good to incorporate, but like I said above, start slow and realistic - or maybe not at all for right now. I'm sure keeping up with a 2 y/o old is enough exercise in itself.

Fifth, you really need to go see a doctor and get some input and guidance from them. This is #1 the most important thing above all. If you can swing it, I would also get a consult with a nutritionist, since most MDs are not experts in new diet/health research going on.

Finally, get a hobby or something you can do to take your mind off your cravings, stress, anxiety, and depression. If late night TV is when you grab that bag of cookies/chips, try and get out of the routine. Eat veggie during your TV time, or maybe do something completely different (read, play a game, music, learn a new language) to help break the cycle.

Good luck, and anytime you get weak - just remember that your kid will mimic your actions - be that staying on track, or picking yourself back up and keep on trying when you don't!!!

• Streetknife
    Streetknife Posts: 1 Member
    Portion control is key, and can be difficult to gauge until you get the hang of it. Check out this graphic showing how to use your own hand as a guide to measuring portions. It's super helpful (and eye opening!): https://visual.ly/community/infographic/health/hand-guide-portion-control
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Don't look too far down the road; take it one day at a time. Today could be the heaviest you are for the rest of your life. Try to look at this as an exciting time and an opportunity given to you for you to craft your happiness.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    You can do this! One day at a time! Those days turn into weeks, the weeks to months and before you know it, you will be able to keep up with your son. The victories will encourage you to keep going! You have a fantastic incentive to motivate you, so just keep moving forward! The very best of luck to you!
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Hi Jonah, I too have major depression. I'm symptom free at the moment, and hope to stay that way for a long time, but you never know. I got called lazy for years and believed it, too. I wasn't lazy, though. I was depressed. The most active person on the planet can become virtually catatonic if they have depression. Sluggishness, lethargy, extreme fatigue, and loss of interest/motivation are all symptoms, which on the outside looks like "laziness" to those who don't see how you're struggling to be more active and engaged.

So I'd say cut yourself some slack. Start gently and don't try to go all out. Do what activity you can. I did a ten minute walk this morning. I may do 40 minutes of strength exercises tomorrow, or I may not. It depends how I'm feeling. I try for 20 minutes a day, which I built up from 5 minutes a day in the beginning. Gradually replace the less nutritious food you eat with more nutritious food. Log everything, even when you overeat. There's no judgement here, and it will help you to look at what you're eating and figure out where you can make small changes, which can then become bigger, more long term changes.

I wouldn't embark on any grand diet plan that doesn't teach you how to retrain your eating habits, or that insist you restrict some food or the other. You can make a small start and build up from there. This is a long journey you're embarking on, and there will be some pitfalls along the way. What matters when you have a setback is getting back on the road and carrying on. I'm a great believer in baby steps. It doesn't matter the length of one's stride, it's how you go the distance that's important.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Being me there for my infant son was the inmpetus for me to lose 95 lbs and keep it off for the last 4 or so years. Feel free to ad me as a friend.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Best of luck on your journey! You can do this.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Just want to add my welcome & good wishes :)

No kidding... do NOT try to overhaul your entire life overnight. No clean sweeps or grand undertakings. Use the numbers MFP gives you, get the hang of logging, learn from experienced forum members, and as you see some results and gain some confidence, slowly you can start making small changes that will help you meet your goals. It is completely doable and you have so much to gain :)
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Just in case you haven't heard it today....I'm proud of you!

It is not easy to admit our faults, especially in a public forum. It is also extremely humbling to ask for help. You've done both. *applause*
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    @felixg1109

I read your inspiring story a little while ago - you can probably relate to Jonah here. Would you care to offer him your thoughts?
  • ninasnonsense
    ninasnonsense Posts: 39 Member
    Oh man, depression a toddler and sinking self loathing. That sounds all to familiar. Going to send you a friend request. I have a couple of low effort recipies that have some flex to them. Not quite easy enough to be depression meals, but not far off.