Maintenance before Goal Weight?

SW 167.2lbs (5/10)
CW 147.6lbs (8/16)
GW 130?

I am getting married next month and so I can have my waist go down too low or will cause issues with my dress fitting. I’ve measured and I’ve lost about 3”, but it goes back up when sitting. I want to be comfortable in my dress and eat all the wedding food. 😆

My thought is to pause here at about 20lbs loss and then bring my calories/macros back down after the wedding.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? Have any tips?

Replies

• KatyCSTinPNW
    KatyCSTinPNW Posts: 28 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    What you described it a diet break, something pretty exhaustively covered in various threads throughout the forum and very common, often encouraged for those who feel burned out on their deficit for a sustained period of time. Pressing pause on your loss isn't going to hinder your overall loss aspirations as long as you go back to your deficit as you described. Depending on the size of your deficit now it may be advisable to gradually increase your calories up to maintenance over days or a week to minimize any rebound. Similarly, if you're typically low carb now, I would reintroduce carbs very slowly to minimize potential water/glycogen regain. I'm not 100% sure how to specific mitigate the influence, but if you're really stressed about the wedding your cortisol levels will have an impact on your weight and can impact people differently.

Ultimately, nice work losing the weight you have up to this point. Do what you feel is right for you to enjoy your wedding as much as possible, and best wishes!

Thank you!! I’ll read up on Diet Breaks. I guess I didn’t think of it that way. I was at 1640c and with maintenance MFP says 1900c. However, I just wasn’t hungry enough to eat that much last night. I wasn’t carb restricting so no worries there. Guess I’ll see if I can keep my scale somewhat the same.

Thanks again!! The tips really help!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    A great, comprehensive thread about diet breaks here, with links to good sources backing the discussion: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    O.P.. a diet break sounds reasonable at this point. No one has time or money for countless alterations so close to the date. If you’re going on honeymoon... try not to go overboard with restaurant food. I gained back over 10 pounds on mine 😯
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    KatyCSTinPNW be sure to post what you decided to do and whether you felt that was a successful plan for you.
  • prettyshambolic
    prettyshambolic Posts: 33 Member
    KatyCSTinPNW be sure to post what you decided to do and whether you felt that was a successful plan for you.

Once I discovered a “diet break” was a thing. I did some readings based on some of the recommendations here. I learned a lot. Easier said than done. But I have loosened up to allow some “cheat” meals.
    I’ve been trying to maintain about a 20lb weight loss (147lbs). So far I’ve been doing it. Just have to keep this weight steady for another month.

My seamstress did have to take it my wedding dress in for me. I pick up my dress Friday and my wedding is 9/22. With another reception in another state for more extended family on 10/6. So after that I am free to jump back on my weight loss plan.

Thank you everyone for the advice and links to helpful articles.

My wedding is also 9/22! Congrats!
  • I'm so happy you asked this question. I hadn't heard of a diet break and will definitely read up on it. Steveko89 above mentioned maintenance. I know what maintenance is, but is it something you can set on myfitnesspal? That, I'm not familiar with. Thanks!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    I'm so happy you asked this question. I hadn't heard of a diet break and will definitely read up on it. Steveko89 above mentioned maintenance. I know what maintenance is, but is it something you can set on myfitnesspal? That, I'm not familiar with. Thanks!!

In guided set-up you can set yourself up as wanting to... maintain your weight :smile:

• siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    I kept losing right up til my wedding, and yes, my dress didn't fit right because I somehow got skinnier still after my last alterations. So if you want a perfect fit, taking a well-monitored break is a good idea in my opinion.

Congratulations!