Anyone Used a CLA

Options
Hey MFP com..

I have lost over 44.1lbs of fat in a 13 month period but now I have flat lined at 14.5%. I have been on a constant calorie deficit of 500 a day, 3 days a week of 20min Cardio and 30 weights and have been loosing weight (😀) but not fat... I’ve heard CLA works, has it worked for anyone here?

Thanks.

Replies

• BT8484
    BT8484 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • BT8484
    Options
    Okay, newbie Q but where is that pinned post?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP com..

I have lost over 44.1lbs of fat in a 13 month period but now I have flat lined at 14.5%. I have been on a constant calorie deficit of 500 a day, 3 days a week of 20min Cardio and 30 weights and have been loosing weight (😀) but not fat... I’ve heard CLA works, has it worked for anyone here?

Thanks.

How are you getting 14.5% specifically? I'm guessing a BIA device of some kind?

You say you are still losing weight but not "fat" - so what do you suppose you are losing? Muscle mass? Water? What is your protein consumption - what kind of "weights" are you doing? 30 minutes 3 times a week doesn't sound like enough to preserve muscle mass on an moderate to aggressive deficit. Is this a full body workout and what is the intensity like?

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    To answer the question, cla will not help, it’s a waste of money. Nothing causes weight loss except and energy/ calorie deficit
  • BT8484
    edited August 2018
    Options

How are you getting 14.5% specifically? I'm guessing a BIA device of some kind?

You say you are still losing weight but not "fat" - so what do you suppose you are losing? Muscle mass? Water? What is your protein consumption - what kind of "weights" are you doing? 30 minutes 3 times a week doesn't sound like enough to preserve muscle mass on an moderate to aggressive deficit. Is this a full body workout and what is the intensity like?
    You are correct jseams, I have been using I BIA device through Popeyes supplements..

Muscle mass and water, fat to an extent but staying at 14%.. well it’s more like 45 mins and with work and life that is what I can afford time wise.. fully body workout focusing on compound exercises and progressively increasing workload on muscles, 3 sets of (8-12 reps), 60 sec rest. I bike 3k a day and then on training days I additionally complete 10mins of Cardio to get my heart rate up before I lift.

Im using a tdee of 2200 with a 500 deficit so 1700 cals, 175g of protein..

• BT8484
    Options
    To answer the question, cla will not help, it’s a waste of money. Nothing causes weight loss except and energy/ calorie deficit

Thank you..

• jseams1234
    Options
    @bradthompson8482

I wouldn't worry too much about the BIA readings. They can be HIGHLY inaccurate and contrary to popular belief they don't even track trends very well. You are getting enough protein and if your intensity (weight on the bar) is appropriate you shouldn't be losing any significant muscle mass. I'd just use the mirror as a guide. As long as you are losing as expected I'd keep on doing what you are doing. Remember the last few vanity pounds and BF %'s can be slow to come off.
  • BT8484
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    @bradthompson8482

I wouldn't worry too much about the BIA readings. They can be HIGHLY inaccurate and contrary to popular belief they don't even track trends very well. You are getting enough protein and if your intensity (weight on the bar) is appropriate you shouldn't be losing any significant muscle mass. I'd just use the mirror as a guide. As long as you are losing as expected I'd keep on doing what you are doing. Remember the last few vanity pounds and BF %'s can be slow to come off.

That’s what I was figuring.. it’s this tire that is taking forever..... I guess what also might be an issue is figuring out my tdee.. it’s difficult knowing what level of activity I’m at. I work a sedimentary job but according to my Fitbit I hit on average 5hrs of activity a week.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    27ijn6n5jglm.jpg
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    @bradthompson8482

That’s what I was figuring.. it’s this tire that is taking forever..... I guess what also might be an issue is figuring out my tdee.. it’s difficult knowing what level of activity I’m at. I work a sedimentary job but according to my Fitbit I hit on average 5hrs of activity a week.

Just me talking here, but... you should have 13-months of data about your body's intake and expenditures, since you've been at this for that time -- TDEE over that 13 months should be fairly simple to derive from your own personal data.

Did I miss something?
  • jseams1234
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @bradthompson8482

Yeah, my love handles are always the last to go. Luckily for me the front part that makes me look pregnant when I bulk goes first.

________

My understanding is that the OP *is* losing weight. He was just concerned that the BIA device he was using wasn't showing a BF% difference/trend.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you feel the need to supplement or feel it will help you get over this hurdle, I would suggest you start with: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637410/beneficial-supplements-which-ones-are-right-for-you/p1
  • BT8484
    Options
    27ijn6n5jglm.jpg

Thank you
  • BT8484
    Options
    Thank you everyone