The struggle is real

Options
Dancer0515
Dancer0515 Posts: 69 Member
Hello all!!
I have been struggling with weight loss for the past two years. It happened when i net ny husband. I used to hit the gym 5 times a week sometimes 6 and go twice a day. Then i started my masters degree along with dating my husband.

When we began dating i was approx 140 pounds maybe a little more give or take. Then we went on vacation within our first year i had gained up to 160 to 170. Then in our second year when after he proposed i was up to 180 on my wedding day. After the wedding i have reached a crazy 210 and feel unhealthy. Im short of breath when i walk. I have stretch mark in places i never had before. I have NO clothes that fit.
I used to have a trainer but left because i couldnt afford him plus i moved. I just started working out again and feel upset because there are no results. My goal is to be at 160 to 170 by december so i can go to a wedding and feel okay about my myself. However my emotions get the best of me and i eat and eat and eat.
Anyone have any suggestions. Im trying to find the WHY factor but just cant seem to get motivated. I used to be so into fitbess but i hsve always been a yo yo dieter. However the hesviest i ever got up to was 168. I have NEVER been this heavy and to be honest its freaking me out!

Kind regards
DANCER05

Replies

• mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    40-50 pounds in 4 months is a lot of weight to drop quickly.
    You gained all your weight over a few years and to lose it in a healthy way but mostly in a sustainable way it, it will take a bit of time. You said it yourself, you are a yo-yo dieter, and that just means you haven't found something that you can keep up. Start by that.
    Look at what you eat, make sure you log properly your food (use a food scale whenever you can), make good choices. If you love pasta, keep eating them, just learn portion sizes and make it work in your daily calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less, so you have to find a way to eat that isn't harming you, and at the same time take care better of your emotional wellbeing. That takes some mental effort, so what if you stop looking for motivation and the why factor, and stop exercising to lose weight?
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I fear that trying to lose 40-50 pounds in just four months will be difficult, frustrating, and near impossible without feeling hungry and crabby constantly. That weight didn't appear in four months. However, set up your MFP profile to lose 2 pounds a week - knowing that some weeks may be more or less or nothing. Get out and walk so that your cardio improves.

Then, focus also on finding a FABULOUS dress (assumption here that you are a woman, but forgive me if I mis-assume) to wear to that wedding at whatever weight you are and celebrate whatever weight loss success you have at that point. In the long run, that wedding will be a tiny blip on your radar, but what you can ultimately gain here is a lifetime of feeling and looking better!
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It has taken me six months to lose 30 pounds which was not my initial, impatient time frame. With that said, I have taken many mini maintenance breaks during those six months (still logging, but eating at maintenance). I am an emotional eater. Thankfully, my husband is very supportive and will suggest a walk or something when he sees me starting to stress. If your husband is supportive, enlist his help. Give him specific suggestions that you may find helpful.
  • emjay196363
    emjay196363 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds like enormous amounts of stress in the past couple years, which is derailing your emotions and your mental ability to conquer your emotions. Just a couple years ago I went through a horrendous time in my life and gained 20 pounds in 8 months - after spending the previous 2 years losing 30. I had to take a very hard look at the stressors in my life and focus on regaining control over them. Think hard about what your stressors are and how to get back on top of them. You have to take care of yourself, because no one else is going to do it.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are a stress eater (me too!). Can you write down the emotion you are feeling when you want to eat? Then ask yourself if you are really hungry, or what emotion is it that is making you want to eat? If it stress or you are feeling overwhelmed, instead of eating, drink some water and do a few stretches. When I had trouble with stress, I started doing yoga. I didn't believe it would help, but I was so wrong. Even a half hour is great. And once you learn some poses, you can do them at home when you are feeling stressed. If you have put on weight over the course of your marriage, has your husband also put on weight? See if you can enlist him in getting healthy too. I'm finding it much easier this time, because my husband is on board too. As far as your weight loss goal - if that helps you stay on your diet, then set that as your goal. Don't starve yourself, but eating less calories than you are now will prompt a weight loss. If you don't make your goal by December, it won't matter as much, because you will still have dropped weight and you'll look fantastic!