Chicken Sausage Italian Meatballs - 172 calories for three

Options
shampbj
shampbj Posts: 33 Member
btd0ngko3cy1.jpg

I've been experimenting lately because I love Italian-American food but need to cut calories. I sort of amalgamated a bunch of recipes off the internet into this brainchild, which I have been making almost weekly lately. I find that the spice blend makes them taste like pork ones, and finishing them in simmering marinara sauce keeps them nice and juicy. If I have leftovers, I use them later in the week as a pizza topping on the magical Skinnytaste pizza dough.

I don't usually post stuff like this but these are amazing and I wanted to share.

1 container chicken Italian sausage links, removed from casings (you could probably use bulk if you can find it; I use Greenwise brand links from Publix)
1 egg
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 T. fresh chopped basil
1 T. fresh chopped sage
1 tsp. fennel seed
1 tsp garlic powder
4 T. finely grated parmesan cheese

Using your hands, mix all the ingredients together until well-blended. Form into 1" diameter balls. It should make 18 meatballs (6 servings).

In a skillet over medium-high heat, sear the meatballs 3 minutes on each side, turning until the exterior is all nicely seared.

Add to simmering marinara sauce and cook until they reach an internal temperature of 160F.