Success stories from CICO ?

Anyone have any pictures to motivate me to stick with the idea of calories in vs. calories out. I barley exercise but I started eating 900 calories a day. For someone who works out occasionally, only 5 feet tall I feel like 900 calories is enough. I eat carbs and processed food and food that is bad for me but I heard if I stay under the amount of calories I burn off I will lose weight I just don’t believe it. Anyone else eat whatever but at a deficient and not exercise if you do pics ?? Thx guys

Replies

• travisirichard92
    travisirichard92 Posts: 1 Member
    900 calories is not enough women need at least 1200 calories. Also, CICO does work. It is based off of physics. Your body needs energy (calories) to do work. When your body is overfed it will store energy in the form of fat. When your body is slightly underfed, it will tap into its stored energy
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    typically the minimum is 1200 for a female. unless you are under the care of a medical professional, you should not eat under that.

eating at a calorie deficit...i've lost 18ish lbs in that many weeks. i also eat ice cream nearly every night.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    900 cals is really low, how much are you losing per week? Also are you weighing and measuring all your food everyday? If not you are likely eating more than you think.

And yes eating less than you burn works for weight loss.
  • Vicham76
    Vicham76 Posts: 59 Member
    Use this website to get a figure on the calories you should consume to either lose weight, maintain or bulk up (https://tdeecalculator.net/). It is just one tool you can use just like MFP. I started at 380 lbs and am now down to 226 since July 10th of last year with it mostly being CICO. I weigh my food, drink lots of water, count my calories every day. CICO works. The only exercise that i added was going for a half hour walk a day to up my steps closer to 10,000. Now that i am closer to a healthy weight i am doing more exercise like rowing, bike riding and aerobics.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Vicham76 wrote: »
    Use this website to get a figure on the calories you should consume to either lose weight, maintain or bulk up (https://tdeecalculator.net/). It is just one tool you can use just like MFP. I started at 380 lbs and am now down to 226 since July 10th of last year with it mostly being CICO. I weigh my food, drink lots of water, count my calories every day. CICO works. The only exercise that i added was going for a half hour walk a day to up my steps closer to 10,000. Now that i am closer to a healthy weight i am doing more exercise like rowing, bike riding and aerobics.

the thing with TDEE calculators is they factor in your purposeful exercise where MFP doesnt so with TDEE method you dont eat back exercise calories with MFP you do
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Anyone have any pictures to motivate me to stick with the idea of calories in vs. calories out. I barley exercise but I started eating 900 calories a day. For someone who works out occasionally, only 5 feet tall I feel like 900 calories is enough. I eat carbs and processed food and food that is bad for me but I heard if I stay under the amount of calories I burn off I will lose weight I just don’t believe it. Anyone else eat whatever but at a deficient and not exercise if you do pics ?? Thx guys

No pictures to share, but I can say that when I'm counting calories (I assume that's what you mean by CICO), that my weight loss is consistent with my calorie deficit. Not on a day to day basis, but over time. When I stop paying attention, or get sloppy with my logging, I lose slower.

Others have mentioned the 900 calories. It really isn't enough. You can't get basic minimum nutrition on 900 calories. Your body needs a certain amount of fat and proteins, not to mention micronutrients (vitamins and minerals). You might feel fine now, but that is because malnourishment takes time. You will likely feel fine until you don't. Hair loss, sallow skin, brittle nails are just the external signs of damage. There is a lot going on inside that you can't see. Please be kinder to your body and feed it well. It's the only one you have.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    like I always say anything under 1200 (for women) if not under the care of a dr is less than what most toddlers eat.so if a toddler is eating more than you are and you arent under a drs care you arent eating enough to fuel your body
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Did you hear of those diets that say "eat only x food 5 times a day and you will lose weight in 1 week"? These are usually very low calorie foods and it's unlikely you could eat so much that you'd eat more than you burn in a day. Is it healthy to to follow these? No. Is it sustainable for a lifetime? No. Will you stay hungry everyday when you eat like that? Probably yes. Does it work? It does, because of CICO (+initial water weight loss), but you will gain all of the weight back in a few weeks when you switch back to your regular diet. Why? Because of CICO... You can eat 900 calories of anything you want and lose weight, but it won't be sustainable for a long time. Follow a balanced diet, eat at least 1200 calories (but it's best if you follow the MFP suggestions) a day, have treats if it fits your calorie goal, and don't starve yourself.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Please, please eat more than 900 calories/day. I went as low as 1200 and was a crazy hangry woman. You probably don't want your hair to fall out or be tired all the time. Bump up the calories and take an extra walk.

Just so you know. The time will pass one way or another, whether you lose a pound a week or not. Better to do this in a healthy way and then actually be able to keep it off. There are so many resources here for healthy, low calorie options.

I lost over 70#, no pics because I have a new laptop and lost those pics. I have kept the weight off for nearly 3 years. You, too, can do this. Did I mention I am 59 years old?
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,264 MFP Staff
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

With respect,
    Nova
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!