Fiance and I at a stand still in our weight loss for over 2 weeks. What can we do better?

Options
Hey all. My fiance and I are trying to lose some weight before engagement pictures, and of course, the wedding that is coming up. We started in the beginning of June. We were both looking to lose approximately 30 lbs by the end of September.

I've lost 17, and he's lost about 15ish. Sadly, for the last at least 2 weeks, we've both been stalled.

So, we've been eating as healthy as possible (within our calorie ranges every day, minus like one dinner with my parents) , going to the gym almost daily and doing a fitness challenge which includes a number of squats, crunches, leg lifts, and push ups every night. We haven't changed anything since the beginning.

It's crazy it was both of us at the same time, as we are vastly different sizes (Me being 5'4 and 149, and him being 6'4 and 267).

What gives? What can we be doing better?

Thanks,
Katie.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything? If you are accurate with calorie counting, then you are both on the right track. Patience is needed now.

Congrats!
  • george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your calorie goals are closer to maintenance than loss.

Also want to add that losing that much that fast is no good. In order to reach that goal you'll have to do things you can't sustain, and therefore gain some back. Permanent weight loss is a lifestyle change, not a boot camp. Continue to love each other as you are and start 2 life long journeys at the same time together.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Eat less or move more. Creating an energy/ caloric deficit is what it comes down to. Has nothing to do with “healthy” food.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,419 Member
    Options
    I'll second the food scale. Do you account for everything that has calories, including milk and sugar in coffee, all condiments, cooking oil?

Secondly: ask yourself why it's so important to lose weight for photos and a wedding. Do you want to do that to be more healthy (then there's no need to use a cutoff date), to impress your guests (why is that important?) or because you will love each others more (eh???). You've come a long way. Great work! But please don't get frustrated about a cutoff date. You're getting married, that's the important part. Not the number on the scale.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    without seeing a diary, the only thing any of us can tell you is you are both likely eating more than you think you are.

invest in, and learn how to properly use, a food scale.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    First, weigh all your food. If you are not using a food scale, then you’re almost certainly eating more than you think. Weight loss has nothing to do with eating “healthy.” You lose weight when you ensure that you’re consistently eating fewer calories than you burn, regardless of the foods those calories come from. A scale is the best way to measure your food intake accurately.

Second, because you don’t have a lot left to lose, your deficit is probably small. Depending on how much you exceed your calorie goals during that one meal per week, you could be wiping out your deficit altogether.