Frustrating weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I did say IMO, it's my opinion brother. I kind of get yours more now because you're right everyone perspires differently, however still feel that I am right.

How do you verify that recovery is completed? Curious.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I did say IMO, it's my opinion brother. I kind of get yours more now because you're right everyone perspires differently, however still feel that I am right.

How do you verify that recovery is completed? Curious.

I'm not sure we disagree much with what I believe your intent is (that being that hard work is what matters). I know I chuckle sadly inside when I see some folks who honestly believe they are "working out" when they're going 2.5 mph on a flat treadmill and then wandering over the dumbbells to curl 10 pound weights for a few reps. It's better than doing nothing and I don't disparage anyone who is making any kind of effort to make themselves healthy. In that sense I celebrate those same people.

As to recovery, again that's a variable that depends on a few factors, like genetics, amount of stress, how much sleep, how steep of a deficit if you're trying to cut fat, age, etc. To use myself as an example, I worked a standard Strong Lifts and Starting Strength program which prescribes 3x per week. It was no problem when the weights were light, but when they got heavy I found myself hitting a bit of a wall. I dropped 1 day every 2 weeks so that it became a 5x per 2 weeks vs. 6. I later dropped the 3rd day on the other week so that it became 2 days per week. Recovery takes longer for me than most who are in their 20s and 30s. I recover better than some guys I know in their 40s and most guys I know in my age bracket. When I reduced frequency, I increased gains - and size - quicker.

I'm currently cutting again now, so my lifting progress has stalled a bit (that and lack of sleep), but still limit my work to 2x per week whole body. I also add some conditioning 1-2 times per week.

[Edit, I am not intending to derail this thread...but I do believe this sidebar is relevant].
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    Okay to cut a long story short my weight isn't really budging! I track and weigh everything I put in my mouth and do resistance training 3x a wee push/pull/ legs and 30 mins cardio after each session. I've been consistent the last three weeks with everything and I know I'm putting the work in at the gym. My weight is only going down by 2lbs and then back up again by 2lbs! I try to watch my sodium intake and drink 2litres of water a day. What gives? It's really frustrating me to the point where I am so close to giving up. My strength has gone up week by week in the gym and I train at a pretty hard intensity. Sometimes I feel slim other times I feel like a whale. I feel I have got slimmer around my stomach area but it's still very frustrating. I was serious and working hard about a year ago in the gym and was in such a great shape and I let it slip, I was out of the gym and only going once a week maybe twice for about a year on and off. So the last three weeks I have stuck to being back on track but it's very demotivating not seeing much change when your working your backside of to stay in lane! Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my body? 😩😩 sorry for the long post!

It's a marathon not a sprint, during my weight loss I would go a month at times without losing weight, however when I broke it down over 15 months, 64 weeks, 173lbs lost, works out to 2.7lbs a week... but again sometimes there would be 4-5 weeks without losing a single lb...

Also if you're not sweating every time you're at the gym, you aren't working out hard enough. I saw this because I've had ppl tell me how hard they train, then workout with them and it's like the biggest fluff workout in the world and they have no idea how to push themselves. I'd train more if I where you, you have a goal put in more work if you want more results.

Your first paragraph - great.

Second paragraph.....well it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would disagree whole-heartedly that how much you sweat even matters. You can push yourself very hard with heavy weights and the degree of sweat is not a dependent variable. If you are attempting to lose weight, you do not need to "work out" at all. You can walk. That was all the cardio I used, and I didn't need that. But I also ran some (because I like to run), and sweated doing that. I've trained with heavy weight and sweated sometimes, and not others. Weight came off either way because of the calorie deficit. Shape is changing due to heavy weight - muscle stress/recovery/adaptation. When I do cardio, the purpose is so that I am better at running around - not for weight loss. On the heavy lifting side, it is not true that more work = more results. Better work = better results.

I agree with you there yes it's not about how much you sweat but more about your form and how you execute your workout and again things like progression overload etc come into play especially for lifting weights

He's referencing more of a Powerlifting program where you take 5 min breaks, my response to that would be watch Eddie Hall workout and let me know if you don't always see him sweating after a little bit. You can still lift "heavy" and be sweating, you just don't have a good mind to muscle connection IMO if you're not sweating while on a PL program or heavy lifting one, you're just moving weights, going through the motions you aren't working the muslces correctly cause if you where you'd be sweating.

Now that's just me and my opinion.

Also to your other comment above this one OP, you can go more then 3 days a week, find the time, you can do it brother. Do Legs/Push/Pull/Off/Legs, and start over the next week.

I do sweat plenty when training I do focus more on hypertrophy aiming for 12 reps... if I get 12 reps easy it's time to add some weight which I have been doing and making sure those last few reps are to failure. I will do that as you said and add another day into my training. I quite enjoy my pull sessions mostly out of the three so maybe another pull session. One thing I am struggling with is getting past 80kg deadlifts I done 8 reps at 80kg last week and managed 9 reps at 80kg this week. I have a question though so for example if I'm doing deadlifts I will do 40kg for 12 reps then jump to 60kg for 12 then 80kg for 9 (that's the most I've managed) is that enough sets? Should I do another set at 80kg? By the time I do that set at 80kg I am seriously sweating 😅

• Samm471
    Options
    Are you looking for your body to be a certain shape and look a certain way? I suspect this is what you really want - and if you get to that point, what does the number on the scale mean?

Or are you looking for a scale number? Why would you be "comfortable" at a number instead of a look (and hopefully increased functionality due to being fit)?

I agree 100 percent with you there I do want to look a certain way rather than have a number on the scale. I was just meaning when I was that weight previously I felt and looked really good.

My point was that the scale is not your friend when you are looking for "shape". It is your friend in the early stages when your primary focus is simply losing fat, but it seems to me that you are in the phase of trying to get fit, being in training with hard intensity and strength gains. (I'm sure someone will pipe in with the popular pic of the young lady that started at 145, dropped to 122 and gained back to 140 and looked a ton better - not sure where to find that).

[Edit - it shows up in page 2 of this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10688140/abdominal-fat-but-i-m-classed-as-underweight#latest]

Not to mention that 3 weeks is a very short time.

I do want to lose fat I think because previously I had lost weight and got some decent muscle around my body and now I feel more like a flump! I will have a look at the thread with the girl. It's just so frustrating when I'm like yay I feel really lean I have worked my back side off at the gym added extra weight to most exercises and then step on the scale and it's like 'oh hey yeah you haven't lost any weight unfortunately but better luck next time 😩'

It almost sounds like you're relying on the scales to tell what you should look like instead of trusting your own eyes and feelings. You feel really lean, your clothes are fitting better, your body is changing gradually into the shape you want. Scales aren't the be all and end all. They won't tell you where you're losing inches and they won't differentiate between what's fat and what's muscle. Examine your body with your own hands once in a while, if you don't do that already. The scales can't tell you everything. It's a machine, not an oracle.

Okay got it! So go more on how I feel and just examine myself? Sounds alot better than the scale tbh

• Tedebearduff
    Options
    Okay to cut a long story short my weight isn't really budging! I track and weigh everything I put in my mouth and do resistance training 3x a wee push/pull/ legs and 30 mins cardio after each session. I've been consistent the last three weeks with everything and I know I'm putting the work in at the gym. My weight is only going down by 2lbs and then back up again by 2lbs! I try to watch my sodium intake and drink 2litres of water a day. What gives? It's really frustrating me to the point where I am so close to giving up. My strength has gone up week by week in the gym and I train at a pretty hard intensity. Sometimes I feel slim other times I feel like a whale. I feel I have got slimmer around my stomach area but it's still very frustrating. I was serious and working hard about a year ago in the gym and was in such a great shape and I let it slip, I was out of the gym and only going once a week maybe twice for about a year on and off. So the last three weeks I have stuck to being back on track but it's very demotivating not seeing much change when your working your backside of to stay in lane! Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my body? 😩😩 sorry for the long post!

It's a marathon not a sprint, during my weight loss I would go a month at times without losing weight, however when I broke it down over 15 months, 64 weeks, 173lbs lost, works out to 2.7lbs a week... but again sometimes there would be 4-5 weeks without losing a single lb...

Also if you're not sweating every time you're at the gym, you aren't working out hard enough. I saw this because I've had ppl tell me how hard they train, then workout with them and it's like the biggest fluff workout in the world and they have no idea how to push themselves. I'd train more if I where you, you have a goal put in more work if you want more results.

Second paragraph.....well it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would disagree whole-heartedly that how much you sweat even matters. You can push yourself very hard with heavy weights and the degree of sweat is not a dependent variable. If you are attempting to lose weight, you do not need to "work out" at all. You can walk. That was all the cardio I used, and I didn't need that. But I also ran some (because I like to run), and sweated doing that. I've trained with heavy weight and sweated sometimes, and not others. Weight came off either way because of the calorie deficit. Shape is changing due to heavy weight - muscle stress/recovery/adaptation. When I do cardio, the purpose is so that I am better at running around - not for weight loss. On the heavy lifting side, it is not true that more work = more results. Better work = better results.

I agree with you there yes it's not about how much you sweat but more about your form and how you execute your workout and again things like progression overload etc come into play especially for lifting weights

He's referencing more of a Powerlifting program where you take 5 min breaks, my response to that would be watch Eddie Hall workout and let me know if you don't always see him sweating after a little bit. You can still lift "heavy" and be sweating, you just don't have a good mind to muscle connection IMO if you're not sweating while on a PL program or heavy lifting one, you're just moving weights, going through the motions you aren't working the muslces correctly cause if you where you'd be sweating.

Also to your other comment above this one OP, you can go more then 3 days a week, find the time, you can do it brother. Do Legs/Push/Pull/Off/Legs, and start over the next week.

I do sweat plenty when training I do focus more on hypertrophy aiming for 12 reps... if I get 12 reps easy it's time to add some weight which I have been doing and making sure those last few reps are to failure. I will do that as you said and add another day into my training. I quite enjoy my pull sessions mostly out of the three so maybe another pull session. One thing I am struggling with is getting past 80kg deadlifts I done 8 reps at 80kg last week and managed 9 reps at 80kg this week. I have a question though so for example if I'm doing deadlifts I will do 40kg for 12 reps then jump to 60kg for 12 then 80kg for 9 (that's the most I've managed) is that enough sets? Should I do another set at 80kg? By the time I do that set at 80kg I am seriously sweating 😅

Listen to your body, I don't count sets if anything reps but I do an exercise until I want to move to something else or because I'm toast. You can lift allot more than 80kg if you're getting it for 8 solid reps should be able to do 100kg for at least 2 reps IMO... I'm not you or in your body so yeah... just don't hurt yourself brother.

If you enjoy pull more and do your deadlifts on pull day then that's fine I always suggest legs at least twice a week cause it burns the most calories.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    With 14 pounds to lose progress is going to be slow and very easily can be masked by water fluctuations. Have patience. Keep weighing your food and be as accurate as possible.
  • Samm471
    Options

Listen to your body, I don't count sets if anything reps but I do an exercise until I want to move to something else or because I'm toast. You can lift allot more than 80kg if you're getting it for 8 solid reps should be able to do 100kg for at least 2 reps IMO... I'm not you or in your body so yeah... just don't hurt yourself brother.

If you enjoy pull more and do your deadlifts on pull day then that's fine I always suggest legs at least twice a week cause it burns the most calories.

Okay thanks! I probably could get 100kg for 2 reps but is that not classed as strength training? Like should I not move up to say 90kg when I know I can get at least 8 reps (hypertrophy) :/

• Tedebearduff
    Options
    I call it training, I lift heavy and do hyper-trophy work.I also workout allot ... like allot... I go to the gym twice a day 5 days of the week, once on the weekend and sometimes will take Sundays off... I wouldn't be worried about trying to get a few sets with a higher weight, it will help you get those 8 reps your aiming for with a lower weight. Don't be scared to push yourself or try something different.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have just had a look at your profile pics.
    Was that you at 135 and the body you are aiming for again, or you now?

Either way, if I were you, I would focus on the lifting while having as small a deficit as possible, 250cals would be good.

You could also do a recomp for a few months, so you can progress faster with the weight you are lifting, then switch to a deficit.

This will give you more energy to progress your weights.

Keep your protein at 0.8-1g of LBM.

With regard to your lifting. If you are not using a trainer at the moment, and not planning to in the near future, I would suggest you follow a proven hypertrophy or power/hypertrophy programme that will set out your warmup, sets, reps and deload for you, if you aren't already.

Mine has 2 warm up sets, and 2 working sets, progressing weekly from 8-12 reps with a built in deload.

By the sound of it you may prefer a PHAT or PHUL programme.

The thread I will link below has a number of good programmes that should help you reach your goal.

Cheers, h.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So a couple of observations:

1. Diet wise, you have only been consistent for 10 days with an average of 1571 calories. So all the other unlogged days, are probably affecting your actual results.
    2. Who designed your workout (maybe I missed that)? P/P/L is a great workout if you are working out 6 days a week so you can hit minimal volume. If you can only do three days, I would do a full body routine.
  • Samm471
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So a couple of observations:

1. Diet wise, you have only been consistent for 10 days with an average of 1571 calories. So all the other unlogged days, are probably affecting your actual results.
    2. Who designed your workout (maybe I missed that)? P/P/L is a great workout if you are working out 6 days a week so you can hit minimal volume. If you can only do three days, I would do a full body routine.

Hello, yes I've been logging for about three weeks I just don't end my diary at the end of the day so sometimes it doesn't come up on my feed. It was actually my old personal trainer whom gave me my programme ( this was last year) I was lifting 5x a week and ended up cutting back on exercise because I had other commitments as well as studying to become a fitness instructor but I've not gotten right back into training again :)